INS Mysore (D60)
|Ordered:||20 March 1992|
|Builder:||Mazagon Dock Limited|
|Launched:||4 June 1993|
|Commissioned:||2 June 1999|
|Motto:||Na Bhibheti Kadaachana (Sanskrit for Always Fearless)|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Delhi-class destroyer|
|Displacement:||6,200 tonnes (full)|
|Length:||163 m (535 ft) |
|Beam:||17 m (56 ft)|
|Draught:||6.5 m (21 ft)|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)|
|Range:||4,500 mi (7,200 km) at 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph)|
|Complement:||350 (incl 40 officers)|
|Sensors and |
|Electronic warfare |
|Aircraft carried:||2 × Sea King Mk 42B helicopters|
INS Mysore was built at Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai. Her keel was laid down in February 1991 and she was launched on 4 June 1993. Sea trials began in the Arabian Sea in March 1999, and she was commissioned on 2 June 1999 by then Prime Minister of India, Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee. Her first CO was Captain Rajiv Dhamdhere.
She is the successor to INS Mysore that served in the Indian Navy from 1957 to 1985. Her crest features a double-headed eagle (Gandaberunda) from the sigil of the erstwhile House of Wodeyar of Mysuru.
In August 2008, Mysore along with the destroyer Ranvir, were anchored just outside Sri Lankan territorial waters to provide security for the Indian prime minister Dr Manmohan Singh, and other high-ranking officials at the 15th SAARC summit.
Gulf of Aden, 2008Edit
In November 2008, Mysore was deployed to the Gulf of Aden to replace the frigate Tabar as part of the Indian Navy's efforts to combat piracy off Somalia. On 13 December 2008, Mysore captured 23 sea pirates along with arms and ammunition when the pirates were trying to capture MV Gibe, a ship sailing under the Ethiopian flag.
On 26 February 2011, Mysore deployed with the amphibious transport dock Jalashwa to the Mediterranean Sea under Operation Safe Homecoming to evacuate Indian citizens from Libya in the aftermath of the turmoil from the 2011 Libyan civil war. They carried their full air wings and a contingent of Marine special forces.
Indian Ocean, Independence Day Weekend 2011Edit
On 12 August 2011, the Indian Navy discovered an Iranian cargo vessel, Nafis-1, was off course. After two days of surveillance, it was suspected that the ship was hijacked by pirates. On 14 August, Mysore was called in to intercept the ship. The crew of nine hijackers, frightened after seeing Mysore, did not attempt any resistance. A helicopter with nine MARCOS Marines on board was sent to detain the suspects. The pirates' automatic assault weapons were found hidden in storage aboard the hijacked vessel.
Persian Gulf, 2014Edit
On 27 June 2014, Mysore deployed to Persian Gulf to evacuate Indians from Iraq during 2014 Northern Iraq offensive. During the operation, she was accompanied by the frigate Tarkash which deployed to the Gulf of Aden.
- "IN Ships-Destroyers-Delhi Class". Indian Navy. Archived from the original on 27 January 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Commodore Stephen Saunders, ed. (2004). "India". Jane's Fighting Ships 2004-2005 (107th ed.). Coulsdon: Jane's Information Group. p. 308. ISBN 978-0710626233.
- Commodore Stephen Saunders, ed. (2008). "India". Jane's Fighting Ships 2008-2009 (111th ed.). Coulsdon: Jane's Information Group. p. 324. ISBN 978-0710628459.
- 2 Indian warships anchored near SL Archived 30 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Larger Indian warship to fight pirates off Aden". Chennai, India: hindu.com. 20 November 2008. Archived from the original on 27 May 2009. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- "Indian navy 'captures 23 pirates'". BBC News. 13 December 2008. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Navy scores another win over pirates". rediff.com. 13 December 2008. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- http://www.indian-military.org/navy/ships/262-type-15project15-delhi-class-guided-missile-destroyer.html#yvComment262. Retrieved 12 November 2009. Missing or empty
- "Naval ships to bail out Indians stranded in Libya". The Times Of India. 27 February 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Indian Navy foils piracy attack, rescues Iranian vessel MV Nafis-1". NDTV. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Indian Navy deploys warship INS Mysore in Persian Gulf". Patrika Group (in Hindi). Archived from the original on 24 December 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2015.