INSAT-3D is a meteorological, data relay and satellite aided search and rescue satellite developed by the Indian Space Research Organisation and was launched successfully on 26 July 2013 using an Ariane 5 ECA launch vehicle from French Guiana. The satellite has many new technology elements like star sensor, micro stepping Solar Array Drive Assembly (SADA) to reduce the spacecraft disturbances and Bus Management Unit (BMU) for control and telecom and telemetry function. It also incorporates new features of bi-annual rotation and Image and Mirror motion compensations for improved performance of the meteorological payloads.
|Mission duration||Planned: 7.7 years |
Elapsed: 8 years, 2 months, 22 days
|Manufacturer||ISRO Satellite Centre|
Space Applications Centre
|Launch mass||2,061 kilograms (4,544 lb)|
|Start of mission|
|Launch date||25 July 2013, 19:54:07UTC|
|Launch site||Kourou ELA-3|
|Perigee altitude||35,791 kilometres (22,239 mi)|
|Apogee altitude||35,795 kilometres (22,242 mi)|
|Epoch||7 November 2013, 23:50:57 UTC|
The mission goal is stated as "to provide an operational, environmental & storm warning system to protect life & property and also to monitor earth’s surface and carryout oceanic observations and also provide data dissemination capabilities."
The satellite has 4 payloads:
- 6 channel multi-spectral Imager
- 19 channel sounder
- Data Relay Transponder (DRT)
- Satellite Aided Search and Rescue (SAS&R)
The satellite was expected to be launched using the GSLV Mk-II. On December 4, 2010, ISRO Chairman revealed that ISRO was considering the use of an Ariane 5 ECA launch vehicle for the launch. The launch was successfully carried out on 26 July 2013 from French Guiana. INSAT-3D was launched along with AlphaSat, which is Europe's largest telecommunication satellite.
- Peat, Chris (7 November 2013). "INSAT 3D - Orbit". Heavens Above. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Weather satellite INSAT-3D launched successfully". The Hindu. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Advanced weather satellite INSAT-3D successfully launched". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 28 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- ISRO Press Release - Address of ISRO Chairman Archived 2010-12-13 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on December 4, 2010 - "We are in the process of finalising one more launch i.e. for INSAT-3D
-  Archived 2011-07-21 at the Wayback Machine ISRO Space Applications Centre InfoSheet on INSAT-3B
- "Satellite: INSAT-3D". Observing Systems Capability Analysis and Review Tool. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- "Flawless launch of Alphasat, Europe's largest and most sophisticated telecom satellite". www.esa.in. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Europe's Largest-Ever Telecommunications Satellite Launches With Indian Weather Probe". www.space.com. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.