ICD-10 Chapter XXII: Codes for special purposes
|I||A00–B99||Certain infectious and parasitic diseases|
|III||D50–D89||Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism|
|IV||E00–E90||Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases|
|V||F00–F99||Mental and behavioural disorders|
|VI||G00–G99||Diseases of the nervous system|
|VII||H00–H59||Diseases of the eye and adnexa|
|VIII||H60–H95||Diseases of the ear and mastoid process|
|IX||I00–I99||Diseases of the circulatory system|
|X||J00–J99||Diseases of the respiratory system|
|XI||K00–K93||Diseases of the digestive system|
|XII||L00–L99||Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue|
|XIII||M00–M99||Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue|
|XIV||N00–N99||Diseases of the genitourinary system|
|XV||O00–O99||Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium|
|XVI||P00–P96||Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period|
|XVII||Q00–Q99||Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities|
|XVIII||R00–R99||Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified|
|XIX||S00–T98||Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes|
|XX||V01–Y98||External causes of morbidity and mortality|
|XXI||Z00–Z99||Factors influencing health status and contact with health services|
|XXII||U00–U99||Codes for special purposes|
This is a shortened version of the twentieth-two chapter of the ICD-10: Codes for special purposes. It covers ICD codes U04 to U09.9. All versions of the ICD-10, including the most recent one (2019), can be browsed freely on the website of the World Health Organisation (WHO). The ICD-10 can also be downloaded in PDF-form.
Provisional assignment of new diseases of uncertain etiology or emergency use (U00-U49)Edit
- U04 Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)
- U04.9 Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), unspecified
- U06 formerly Zika virus disease, which as of 2019 was reclassified to A92.5
- U07 Emergency use of U07
- U08 Emergency use of U08
- U09 Emergency use of U09
Codes U00 to U49 are placeholder codes. Their existence within the ICD allows system developers to build them into encoder software. They are not intended for local adaptation or interpretation. Until WHO assigns the code to an emerging disease, it should not be used.
In 2019, U07.0 was assigned to "Vaping-related disorder". On 31 January 2020, after an emergency WHO meeting, U07.1 was assigned to deaths from lab-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection and in March 2020, U07.2 was assigned to deaths from clinically or epidemiologically diagnosed COVID-19 without lab-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Resistance to antimicrobial and antineoplastic drugs (U82-U85)Edit
- "U00-U49 – ICD-10 Version:2019". World Health Organization. 2019. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "New ICD-10-CM code for vaping-related disorder to be implemented April 1, 2020" (PDF). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 12 September 2019.
- "New ICD-10-CM code for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), April 1, 2020" (PDF). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 18 March 2020.
- "List of Official ICD-10 Updates". World Health Organization. COVID-19 update for ICD-10. Retrieved 3 April 2020.
- "U07.1 – ICD-10 Version:2019". World Health Organization. 2019. Archived from the original on 31 March 2020. Retrieved 31 March 2020.
U07.2 – COVID-19, virus not identified – COVID-19 NOS – Use this code when COVID-19 is diagnosed clinically or epidemiologically but laboratory testing is inconclusive or not available. Use additional code, if desired, to identify pneumonia or other manifestations