The Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Referees is composed of former international cricket players who are appointed by the ICC to oversee all Test match, One Day International and Twenty20 International cricket matches in the capacity of Match referee. The referees are ultimately in charge of all international cricket matches, and act as the ICC's representative at the grounds. In addition they are responsible for imposing penalties for infringements of the ICC Code of Conduct, and so being ex-international cricketers they can ensure that the punishments dealt out are just. The referees also form part of the ICC's umpire performance review, submitting reports about the umpires after each match.
Current members edit
As of the 10 November 2022 the ICC Elite Panel consisted of:
|Referee||Date of Birth||Age as at 10 November 2022||Tests||ODIs||T20Is||Country|
|David Boon||29 December 1960||62 years, 331 days||73||171||100||Australia|
|Chris Broad||29 September 1957||66 years, 57 days||120||355||131||England|
|Jeff Crowe||14 September 1958||65 years, 72 days||115||326||167||New Zealand|
|Ranjan Madugalle||22 April 1959||64 years, 217 days||214||394||139||Sri Lanka|
|Andy Pycroft||6 June 1956||67 years, 172 days||93||221||135||Zimbabwe|
|Richie Richardson||12 January 1962||61 years, 317 days||47||93||77||West Indies|
|Javagal Srinath||31 August 1969||54 years, 86 days||65||269||118||India|
Past Members edit
The following people were included in the inaugural panel of elite referees in 2002, but have since retired:
2006 ball-tampering controversy edit
Mike Procter was criticised for failing to persuade umpires Darrell Hair and Billy Doctrove to continue with the match, which was awarded to England when Pakistan refused to take the field in protest at being accused of ball tampering.
2007 Cricket World Cup Final edit
Jeff Crowe was seen as ultimately responsible for the failure of the five match officials (himself and umpires Bucknor, Dar, Koertzen and Bowden) to adhere to the ICC's playing conditions regarding to the number of overs required before Duckworth-Lewis can determine the outcome of a match.
This resulted in Australia and Sri Lanka having to play out three overs in near darkness, since they had been told they would otherwise have to return and play out the overs the following day. In the aftermath of this fiasco, Crowe apologised on behalf of the playing control team for the error.
Most Test matches as a referee as of 10 November 2022:
Most ODI matches as a referee as of 10 November 2022:
Most T20I matches as a referee as of 10 November 2022:
- "ICC Elite Referee Panel". Cricinfo. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "David Boon". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Chris Broad". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Jeff Crowe". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Ranjan Madugalle". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Andy Pycroft". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Richie Richardson". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Javagal Srinath". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- See 4th from bottom paragraph
- Crowe admits error
- "Most matches as a referee: Test". Cricinfo. Retrieved 8 November 2022.
- "Most matches as a referee: ODI". Cricinfo. Retrieved 8 November 2022.
- "Records | Twenty20 Internationals | Individual records (captains, players, umpires) | Most matches as a match referee | ESPNcricinfo.com". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2022-11-08.