Elite Panel of ICC Referees
The Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Referees is composed of former international cricket players who are appointed by the ICC to oversee all Test match, One Day International and Twenty20 International cricket matches in the capacity of Match referee. The referees are ultimately in charge of all international cricket matches, and act as the ICC's representative at the grounds. In addition they are responsible for imposing penalties for infringements of the ICC Code of Conduct, and so being ex-international cricketers they can ensure that the punishments dealt out are just. The referees also form part of the ICC's umpire performance review, submitting reports about the umpires after each match.
As of the 30 January 2019 the ICC Elite Panel consisted of:
|Referee||Date of Birth||Age as at 3 August 2020||Tests||ODIs||T20Is||Country|
|David Boon||29 December 1960||59 years, 218 days||53||121||48||Australia|
|Chris Broad||29 September 1957||62 years, 309 days||98||303||92||England|
|Jeff Crowe||14 September 1958||61 years, 324 days||93||276||96||New Zealand|
|Ranjan Madugalle ||22 April 1959||61 years, 103 days||187||341||94||Sri Lanka|
|Andy Pycroft ||6 June 1956||64 years, 58 days||68||165||70||Zimbabwe|
|Richie Richardson||12 January 1962||58 years, 204 days||20||37||30||West Indies|
|Javagal Srinath ||31 August 1969||50 years, 338 days||44||214||72||India|
The following people were included in the inaugural panel of elite referees in 2002, but have since retired:
2006 ball-tampering controversyEdit
Mike Procter was criticised for failing to persuade umpires Darrell Hair and Billy Doctrove to continue with the match, which was awarded to England when Pakistan refused to take the field in protest at being accused of ball tampering.
2007 World Cup FinalEdit
Jeff Crowe was seen as ultimately responsible for the ignorance of all five match officials (himself and umpires Bucknor, Dar, Koertzen and Bowden) of the ICC's playing conditions with regards the number of overs required before Duckworth-Lewis can determine the outcome of a match. This resulted in Australia and Sri Lanka having to play out three unnecessary overs in near darkness since they had been told they would otherwise have to return and play out the overs on the following day. In the aftermath Crowe apologised on behalf of the playing control team.
Most Test matches as a referee as of 23 January 2019:
Most ODI matches as a referee as of 30 January 2019:
Most T20I matches as a referee as of 3 January 2019:
- "ICC Elite Referee Panel". Cricinfo. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "David Boon". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Chris Broad". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Jeff Crowe". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Ranjan Madugalle". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Andy Pycroft". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Richie Richardson". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Javagal Srinath". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- See 4th from bottom paragraph
- Crowe admits error
- "Most matches as a referee: Test". Cricinfo. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Most matches as a referee: ODI". Cricinfo. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "Most matches as a referee: T20I". Cricinfo. Retrieved 3 January 2019.