Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
This article does not cite any sources. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger (百獣戦隊ガオレンジャー, Hyakujū Sentai Gaorenjā)[Note 2][Note 3] is Toei's twenty-fifth production of the Super Sentai metaseries airing in 2001 and celebrated the franchise's 25th anniversary. Footage from this show was used in the 2002 American series Power Rangers Wild Force and was later dubbed in 2010 as the retitled Power Rangers: Jungle Force for South Korean television in place of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, possibly due to cultural reasons. In Japan, Gaoranger aired alongside Kamen Rider Agito.
|Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger|
The title card for Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger
|Created by||TV Asahi|
|Developed by||Junki Takegami|
|Written by||Junki Takegami|
Chiejirō Nakasu[Note 1]
|Directed by||Satoshi Morota|
|Narrated by||Hiroshi Masuoka|
|Opening theme||"Gaoranger Hoero!!" by Yukio Yamagata|
|Ending theme||"Healin' You" by Salia (1-44 & 46-50)|
"Gaoranger Roar!!" by the Gaorangers & Yukio Yamagata (45)
"Stairway to the Sky" by the Gaorangers (51)
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||51|
|Producer(s)||Jun Hikasa (TV Asahi)|
Kenji Ōta (TV Asahi)
Yuka Takahashi (Toei)
Kōichi Yada (Toei Agency)
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Production company(s)||TV Asahi|
|Original network||TV Asahi|
|Original release||February 18, 2001 –|
February 10, 2002
|Preceded by||Mirai Sentai Timeranger|
|Followed by||Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger|
On May 14th, 2018, it was announced that Shout! Factory had licensed Gaoranger for release in North America and it was released on December 18, 2018.  This is 11th Super Sentai to be released in North America DVD Region 1 as Jetman was released before Gaoranger.
A millennia ago, humans fought a war against demon orges known as the Orgs. With the help of the Power Animals, the ancient Gao Warriors were able to defeat the Orgs' leader Hyakkimaru, sealing the Orgs away along with one of their own. When the seal wanes, the Power Animals select a new generation of Gao Warriors to fight the freed Orgs and protect all life on Earth. The current Gao Warriors, the Gaorangers, are recruited to abandon their civilian lives and names while traveling to find the other Power Animals that were in hiding.
- Kakeru Shishi (獅子 走, Shishi Kakeru), the Blazing Lion (灼熱の獅子, Shakunetsu no Shishi) and the main protagonist of the series. He was a veterinarian before becoming chosen by Gao Lion to become Gao Red. He was the last chosen of the Gaorangers, but has an affinity for animals. His other Power Animals are Gao Gorilla and Gao Falcon.
- Gaku Washio (鷲尾 岳, Washio Gaku), the Noble Eagle (孤高の荒鷲, Kokō no Arawashi) was an airforce pilot before he was chosen first by Gao Eagle to become Gao Yellow. He is serious and regimental, deciding that the Gaorangers should refer to each other by color, instead of name. His other Power Animals are Gao Bear and Gao Polar.
- Kai Samezu (鮫津 海, Samezu Kai), the Surging Shark (怒涛の鮫, Dotō no Same), was a freeter before he was chosen by Gao Shark to become Gao Blue. He is the most immature of the team. His other Power Animal is Gao Giraffe which was actually a tractor before. Gao Giraffe appeared in Gao Blue's dream and the dream actually comes true that Gao King was about to lose against the evil tribe and that was why they needed Gao Giraffe to help them win against the evil tribe. Gao Giraffe will take Gao Shark and Gao Bear's place when it is chosen to fight.
- Soutarou Ushigome (牛込 草太郎, Ushigome Sōtarō), the Iron Bison (鋼の猛牛, Hagane no Mōgyū), was a retired sumo wrestler who was working as a florist before he was chosen by Gao Bison to become Gao Black. He is the physically strongest, but shyest of the team. His other Power Animals are Gao Rhino and Gao Madillo.
- Sae Taiga (大河冴, Taiga Sae), the Belle Tiger (麗しの白虎, Uruwashi no Byakko), was a martial arts student under her father before she was chosen by Gao Tiger to be Gao White. She is the youngest and only female of the team. Her other Power Animals are Gao Elephant and Gao Deer.
- Tsukumaro Oogami (大神 月麿, Ōgami Tsukumaro) (Shirogane (シロガネ)), the Sparking Wolf (閃烈の銀狼, Senretsu no Ginrō), was a Gao Warrior from the Heian period over 1,000 years ago. He used the power of the Dark Wolf Mask to defeat the evil Hyakkimaru. However, he was turned into Duke Org Rouki (デュークオルグ狼鬼, Dūku Orugu Rōki) and got the other Gao Warriors to entomb him so he could not do any more harm. He was later awakened as Rouki in the present age, but was freed of his curse by the Gaorangers. As Gao Silver, his Power Animals are Gao Wolf, Gao Hammerhead, and Gao Ligator.
Ogre Tribe OrgEdit
The Ogre Tribe Org (鬼族オルグ, Onizoku Orugu) is a race of Oni born from the sadness and madness of humans. Led by the Highness Duke Orgs (ハイネスデュークオルグ, Hainesu Dūku Orugu) from a cavern known as the Matrix, their attacks are usually overseen by the Duke Orgs (デュークオルグ, Dūku Orugu).
- Duke Org Yabaiba (デュークオルグ ヤバイバ, Dūku Orugu Yabaiba)
- A crazed pierrot-like master of knives who claimed himself to Gao Yellow's greatest rival. He later developed a crush on his partner TsueTsue near the series end.
- Duchess Org TsueTsue (デュークオルグ ツエツエ, Dūku Orugu Tsuetsue)
- An arrogant Org priestess whose magic is as great as her devotion to the Highnesses. She is armed with a staff that spits Org Seeds to resurrect fallen Orgs into giants.
- The Lion Roars!! (獅子、吼える!!, Shishi, Hoeru!!)
- The Spirit-King Rises!! (精霊王、
起つ!!, Seireiō, Tatsu!!)
- The Eagle Vanishes!! (荒鷲が消える!!, Arawashi ga Kieru!!)
- The Two Who Never Give Up!! (二人でネバギバ!!, Futari de Nebagiba!!)
- The Mountain Moves!! (山が動く!!, Yama ga Ugoku!!)
- Bison in Love!! (牛、焦がれる!!, Ushi, Kogareru!!)
- The Dream Talks!! (夢が語る!!, Yume ga Kataru!!)
- The Dog, Runs!! (犬、走る!!, Inu, Hashiru!!)
- The Twins Smile (双子が微笑む, Futago ga Hohoemu)
- The Moon Beckons!! (月が招く!!, Tsuki ga Maneku!!)
- Father, Proceeds (父親、上京。, Chichioya, Jōkyō)
- Which is the Real One!? (本物はどっち!?, Honmono wa Dotchi!?)
- The Baby's First Cry Freezes (産声が凍る, Ubugoe ga Kōru)
- The Soul Bird Cries (魂の鳥が叫ぶ, Tamashii no Tori ga Sakebu)
- The Ogre, Howls!! (鬼、吼える!!, Oni, Hoeru!!)
- The Magic Flute Roars!! (魔笛、轟く!!, Mateki, Todoroku!!)
- The Elephant Vanishes... (象が消えて..., Zō ga Kiete...)
- The Demon Beast, Armament!! (魔獣、武装!!, Majū, Busō!!)
- The Bison, Retires!? (猛牛、脱退!?, Mōgyū, Dattai!?)
- The Maiden is Captured!! (巫女囚わる!!, Miko Torawaru!!)
- Rouki, Perplexed (狼鬼、惑う, Rōki, Madou)
- The Giant Bison, is Broken!! (巨牛、壊れる!!, Kyogyū, Kowareru!!)
- Rouki, Dies!? (狼鬼、死す!?, Rōki, Shisu!?)
- The Silver Wolf, Flashes!! (銀狼、閃く!!, Ginrō, Hirameku!!)
- The Third Ogre Princess Arrives (三代目鬼姫参上, Sandaime Oni Hime Sanjō)
- Rouki, Again (狼鬼、ふたたび, Rōki, Futatabi)
- The Chick Pouts (雛がすねる, Hina ga Suneru)
- Secrets, Handed Down!! (奥義、伝承!!, Ougi, Denshō!!)
- The Deer Heals (鹿が癒す, Shika ga Iyasu)
- The Full Moon Kills the Wolf! (満月が狼を殺す!, Mangetsu ga Ōkami o Korosu!)
- The Hyakujuu Sentai, Defeated!! (百獣戦隊、全滅!!, Hyakujū Sentai, Zenmetsu!!)
- Three Creatures Eat!! (三匹が喰う!!, Sanbiki ga Kuu!!)
- A Boy Prays. (少年が祈る。, Shōnen ga Inoru.)
- The Mighty Org Weeps!? (鉄人
鬼、泣く!?, Tetsujin Orugu, Naku!)
- The Juuou Swords, Plundered (獣皇剣、強奪, Jūōken, Gōdatsu)
- The Warriors Dance (戦士踊る, Senshi Odoru)
- Yabaiba Burns (ヤバイバ燃える, Yabaiba Moeru)
- The Divine Spirit-King's Peak Decisive Battle (精霊王頂上決戦, Seireiō Chōjō Kessen)
- The God Takes Away (神が連れ去る, Kami ga Tsuresaru)
- Sky Island, Destroyed (天空島、滅ぶ, Tenkūjima, Horobu)
- Santa Came (サンタが来た, Santa ga Kita)
- The Org Ninja Invasion! (
鬼忍者侵略!, Orugu Ninja Shinryaku!)
- The Lion, Burning Hot (獅子、灼熱する, Shishi, Shakunetsu Suru)
- Gao's Rock Falls (
亀岩、落ちる, Gaozu Rokku, Ochiru)
- Fighting Until the End (闘い終わらず, Tatakai Owarazu)
- The New Year Attacks (正月が襲う, Shōgatsu ga Osou)
- The Steam Engine Roars! (蒸気機関、爆走!, Jōkikikan, Bakusō)
- Those Guys Return to Life (奴らが蘇る, Yatsura ga Yomigaeru)
- The Matrix Closes (
鬼洞窟、閉じる, Matorikkusu, Tojiru)
- The Hundred Beasts Die (百獣、死す, Hyakujū, Shisu)
- The Hundred Beasts Roar!! (百獣、吼える!!, Hyakujū, Hoeru!!)
The Fire Mountain RoarsEdit
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger: The Fire Mountain Roars (百獣戦隊ガオレンジャー 火の山、吼える, Hyakujū Sentai Gaorenjā: Hi no Yama, Hoeru) is the theatrical adaptation of Gaoranger that was a double bill with the Kamen Rider Series film Kamen Rider Agito: Project G4. The film features Gao Kong and the Gao Knight combination. The events of the movie takes place between Quests 40 and 41.
- Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger Super Video: Showdown! Gaoranger vs. Gao Silver (2001)
- Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger vs. Gaoranger (忍風戦隊ハリケンジャーVSガオレンジャー, Ninpū Sentai Harikenjā Tai Gaorenjā, 2003)
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger vs. Super SentaiEdit
Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger vs. Super Sentai (百獣戦隊ガオレンジャーＶＳスーパー戦隊, Hyakujū Sentai Gaorenjā tai Sūpā Sentai) aired in 2001. The plot revolves around the Gaorangers meeting up with previous sentai's. Each sentai teaches each one about their Super Sentai past. Past Sentai Heroes included Soukichi Banba/Big One from J.A.K.Q. Dengkitai, Yuusuke Amamiya/Red Falcon from Choujuu Sentai Liveman, Gouki/Ginga Blue from Seijuu Sentai Gingaman, Daimon/Go Yellow from Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGo V, and Miku Imamura/Mega Pink from Denji Sentai Megaranger. All the prior Red Rangers from Gorenger to Timeranger also make a cameo appearance at the end of the film. The events of the movie takes place between Quests 14 and 15.
A drama CD titled Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger Gao Access CD: "Gao Panda Appears!!" (百獣戦隊ガオレンジャー ガオアクセスCD 「ガオパンダあらわる!!」, Hyakujū Sentai Gaorenjā Gao Akusesu Shī Dī "Gao panda Arawaru!!") introduces Gao Panda.
A manga adaptation crossover with Himitsu Sentai Gorenger titled Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger vs. Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (百獣戦隊ガオレンジャーVS秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー, Hyakujū Sentai Gaorenjā Bāsasu Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā) was released in September 2001.
- Kakeru Shishi (獅子 走, Shishi Kakeru): Noboru Kaneko (金子 昇, Kaneko Noboru)
- Gaku Washio (鷲尾 岳, Washio Gaku): Kei Horie (堀江 慶, Horie Kei)
- Kai Samezu (鮫津 海, Samezu Kai): Takeru Shibaki (柴木 丈瑠, Shibaki Takeru)
- Sotaro Ushigome (牛込 草太郎, Ushigome Sōtarō): Kazuyoshi Sakai (酒井 一圭, Sakai Kazuyoshi)
- Sae Taiga (大河 冴, Taiga Sae): Mio Takeuchi (竹内 実生, Takeuchi Mio)
- Ōgami Tsukumaro (大神 月麿)/Shirogane (シロガネ, Shirogane)/Duke Org Rouki (デュークオルグ 狼鬼, Dūku Orugu Rōki, Voice, 23 & 30): Tetsuji Tamayama (玉山 鉄二, Tamayama Tetsuji)
- Futaro (風太郎, Fūtarō): Daiki Arioka (有岡 大貴, Arioka Daiki)
- Tetom (テトム, Tetomu)/Murasaki (ムラサキ): Takemi (岳美)
- Duchess Org TsueTsue (デュークオルグ ツエツエ, Dūku Orugu Tsuetsue): Rei Saito (斉藤 レイ, Saitō Rei)
- Narrator, Gao God (ガオゴッド, Gao Goddo): Hiroshi Masuoka (増岡 弘, Masuoka Hiroshi)
- Duke Org Yabaiba (デュークオルグ ヤバイバ, Dūku Orugu Yabaiba): Kōichi Sakaguchi (坂口 候一, Sakaguchi Kōichi)
- Duke Org Rouki (デュークオルグ 狼鬼, Dūku Orugu Rōki): Eiji Takemoto (竹本 英史, Takemoto Eiji) (14-22 & 26)
- Highness Duke Org Shuten (ハイネスデュークオルグ シュテン, Hainesu Dūku Orugu Shuten): Tetsu Inada (稲田 徹, Inada Tetsu)
- Highness Duke Org Ura (ハイネスデュークオルグ ウラ, Hainesu Dūku Orugu Ura): Tamotsu Nishiwaki (西脇 保, Nishiwaki Tamotsu)
- Highness Duke Org Rasetsu (ハイネスデュークオルグ ラセツ, Hainesu Dūku Orugu Rasetsu): Hiromi Nishikawa (西川 宏美, Nishikawa Hiromi) (Upper Mouth), Hidekatsu Shibata (柴田 秀勝, Shibata Hidekatsu) (Lower Mouth)
- Ultimate Org Senki (究極オルグセンキ, Kyūkyoku Orugu Senki): Daisuke Gōri (郷里 大輔, Gōri Daisuke)
- Gao Madillo (ガオマジロ, Gao Majiro): Chiaki Maeda (前田千亜紀, Maeda Chiaki)
- Piyo-chan (ピヨちゃん)/Yo-chan (ヨーちゃん): Hiromi Konno (今野宏美, Konno Hiromi)
- Opening theme
- "Gaoranger Hoero!!" (ガオレンジャー吼えろ!!, Gaorenjā Hoero!!, "Gaorangers Roar!!")
- "Gaoranger Hoero!! (All Cast Version)" (ガオレンジャー吼えろ!!(オール・キャスト・ヴァージョン), Gaorenjā Hoero!! (Ōru Kyasto Vājon))
- Lyrics: Nagae Kuwabara
- Composition & Arrangement: Kōtarō Nakagawa
- Artist: The Gaorangers
- Movie opening
- Ending themes
- "Healin' You" (ヒーリン’ユー, Hīrin' Yū) (1-44, 46-50)
- "Gaoranger Hoero!! (ガオレンジャー吼えろ!!, Gaorenjā Hoero!!) (45)
- Lyrics: Nagae Kuwabara
- Composition & Arrangement: Kōtarō Nakagawa
- Artist: The Gaorangers & Yukio Yamagata
- "Ōzora e no Kaidan" (大空への階段, Ōzora e no Kaidan, The Stairway to Heaven) (51)
- Chiejiro Nakasu is a pen name jointly used by director Shojiro Nakazawa and editor Chieko Nakasu.
- Literally translated as Hundred Beasts Squad Gaoranger.
- Gao (ガオ) is Japanese onomatopoeia equivalent to a roaring sound. The Gaoranger roll call uses the kanji for "fang" (牙, kiba) and "howl" (吠, hoe) which are read together as "Gao" (牙吠).
- "Shout! Factory Releasing Chojin Sentai Jetman & Hyakuju Sentai GaoRanger DVDs In 2018! - Tokunation". news.tokunation.com. Retrieved 2018-05-22.