Richard Hugh "Huw" Lloyd-Langton (6 February 1951 – 6 December 2012) was an English guitarist, best known as the guitarist for Hawkwind at various times. He also had his own band, The Lloyd Langton Group, and was the session lead guitarist for UK band The Meads of Asphodel.
|Birth name||Richard Hugh Lloyd-Langton|
|Born||6 February 1951|
Harlesden, London, United Kingdom
|Died||6 December 2012(aged 61)|
|Genres||Hard rock, progressive rock, heavy metal|
|Associated acts||Hawkwind, Budgie, The Lloyd Langton Group, The Meads of Asphodel|
Life and careerEdit
Lloyd-Langton was born in Harlesden, north west London. As a member of Hawkwind he appeared on their first album, Hawkwind, before leaving the band. He played guitar for Widowmaker, Budgie, and Leo Sayer during the 1970s, then rejoined Hawkwind in 1979, appearing on the Live Seventy Nine album release from that year and the subsequent Levitation album.
He continued performing with Hawkwind until 1988, after which he made occasional guest appearances, then rejoined for a brief spell in 2001-2002 until ill health (Legionnaires' disease) forced him to leave once more. He sometimes played solo as an acoustic support act for Hawkwind, including at The Brook in Southampton in December 2009. Acoustic slots at English charity (playing for free) and space rock events were also common throughout this decade.
Lloyd-Langton's health had been generally poor for a decade and he was quite frail, with several broken bones and minor injuries (rarely letting fans down though - he once played a gig with a broken arm, reworking his solos on the fly so that he could play them in one area of the guitar neck). He died at his home on 6 December 2012, aged 61 years old, after a two-year fight with cancer. His final recording with Hawkwind was a re-recording of Master of the Universe for the compilation album Spacehawks.
- 1970: Hawkwind
- 1980: Live Seventy Nine
- 1980: Levitation
- 1981: Sonic Attack
- 1982: Church of Hawkwind
- 1982: Choose Your Masques
- 1985: The Chronicle of the Black Sword
- 1986: Live Chronicles (vocals on "Moonglum")
- 1987: Out & Intake
- 1988: The Xenon Codex
- 2012: Onward
- 2013: Spacehawks
- 1984: Outside the Law (Deprecated as a bootleg on Lloyd-Langton's official site.)
- 1984 "Dreams that fade away" / "It's on Me" - 12 single. Limited edition. Ultra noise records.
- 1985: Night Air ( original release on vinyl in 1985, Re-released in a cd version 28 June 2010.)
- 1987: Like An Arrow
- 1988: Time Space & LLG
- 1991: Elegy
- 1994: River Run
- 1999: Chain Reaction
- 2001: On The Move... Plus
- 2010: Hard Graft
- 2011: Classical Guitar Tales
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) The Great Rock Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0, p. 466
- "Budgie". Nostalgia Central.
- "Huw Lloyd-Langton Dies Aged 61". The Quietus. Retrieved 2012-12-07.
- Lloyd Langton Group (LLG) History – Synthesized Version", accessed 16 June 2011