Hungama 2 is a 2021 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Priyadarshan and jointly produced by Ratan Jain, Ganesh Jain, Chetan Jain and Armaan Ventures. It is the spiritual sequel of Priyadarshan's own 2003 film Hungama. It is loosely based on Priyadarshan's own 1994 Malayalam film Minnaram with a comedy sequence borrowed from his other Malayalam film Vandanam (1989) both starring Mohanlal. The film stars Paresh Rawal, Shilpa Shetty, Meezaan Jafri and Pranitha Subhash.
|Screenplay by||Yunus Sajawal|
|Based on||Minnaram (1994)|
|Produced by||Ratan Jain|
|Cinematography||N. K. Ekambaram|
|Edited by||M. S. Aiyyappan Nair|
|Distributed by||Disney+ Hotstar|
Hungama 2 premiered on 23 July 2021 on Disney+ Hotstar. The film received negative reviews from critics who criticized its writing, direction and performances although Rajpal's performance was well received.
Retired Jailor Govind Kapoor's family includes his older son Aman and Akash, and his elder brother. He also has four mischievous grandchildren. The twist in the story happens when Vani, Akash's college girlfriend comes to their home with a child named Gehna and claim the child's father is Akash. Akash refute her claim. Akash is betrothed to Bajaj's daughter, who is a friend of Jailor Govind.
Akash takes the help of Anjali Tiwari, his co-worker to help him to hide things about Vani and the child to not let anyone know about it. But Anjali's husband Radhe Shyam Tiwari, a lawyer, is a suspicious minded man. He thinks that his wife is having an affair with some other man and finds clue leading to Akash. Tiwari overhear them talking about the child. Tiwari wrongly assumes that Akash is his wife's lover, and his wife is pregnant with Akash child.
In flashback, it is shown that Vani and Akash loved each other and the former left the latter suddenly without notice. They perform a DNA test, but due to their inability to read the medical lingo and result, they couldn't reach a conclusion. Akash, now desperate tries to get his nieces and nephews to prank Vani so she will leave. One of their pranks ends up injuring Gehna. Vani take the blame to save the children from punishment and in her act win own the children, and Vani becomes their nanny and friend.
Akash engagement ceremony to Bajaj daughter is arrive and he tries to get Vani away from the ceremony without knowing that Bajaj invited her too, assuming she was the new teacher of Jailor grandchildren. Akash decides to change his bridal clothing mid-way. Anjali meet Akash mid-way with his bridal dress and changes in her car. Tiwari sees this, and assume his wife is having sex with Akash. Akash and Anjali come to the engagement ceremony but Anjali spot Vani. Vani is taken back home by Kapoor brother on fabricated account that Gehna was injured to the relief of Kapoor family. Akash quickly get engaged.
Tiwari confront Anjali and Akash without stating he knows about their "apparent affair" but Akash and Anjali assume he knows about Vani, so they shrug it off. Appalled by their behavior, he tries to kill Akash. His first attempt land himself in hospital. Akash hire his and Vaani's old cafeteria manager (who is an excellent forger) to act as her husband, the same day Tiwari make his second attempt to murder Akash. The cafeteria manager enters, but when asked he can't mention the child's name. Tiwari second attempt to kill Akash botchup cafeteria manager plan, destroying forged documents. A stranger meets Vani secretly and tell her to be present on the day of their own 'wedding'.
On Akash wedding reception, Tiwari get drunk and blurt out about his wife's "apparent affair" with Akash. In the confusion, truth about Vani and Gehna presence is revealed. The bride family call off the wedding. Akash gets drunk and try to force himself on Vani to tell the truth. To prevent this, Vani tells the truth and also tells that Gehna is neither hers nor Akash's but is her deceased sister and Akash's elder brother Aman's child. Vani later leaves the house with Gehna. Akash and family later decide that Vani and Akash should get married. They goes out to find Vani. They arrived too late to find Vani already married. Vani hands over Gehna to Aman. The Stranger interrupt Kapoor's and introduce himself as multi-talented Auteur, Director, Producer, Actor et el. The marriage ceremony is revealed to be part of a TV series, and director request Kapoor family to not disrupt his TV Series production, as Vani has given him enough trouble by her absence during shooting and he is on deadline. Later, everyone reconciles and Akash and Vani get married.
- Paresh Rawal as Radhe Shyam Tiwari
- Shilpa Shetty as Anjali "Anju" Tiwari
- Meezaan Jafri as Aakash "Akku" Kapoor
- Pranitha Subhash as Vaani Kapoor
- Rajpal Yadav as Popat Jamal / Raja Dhatingarh Dhingra
- Tiku Talsania as Cook Ojasram Nandan
- Ashutosh Rana as Colonel Govind Kapoor aka Junglee Bail: Aakash's father
- Manoj Joshi as Manasvit G. Bajaj: Govind's partner
- Komal Sharma as Simran
- Johnny Lever as Tutor Gagan Chandra D'Costa (cameo appearance)
- Akshaye Khanna as Premnath Pannu (cameo appearance)
- Siddhant Ghegadmal as Jayesh
- Raman Trikha as Aman Kapoor: Aakash's brother
- Menka Rai as Chinki
- Atharv Johnny as Parul
- Hardika Sharma as Vidhi
- Naira Shah as Priti
- Nandhu as Doctor (cameo appearance)
The film marks Priyadarshan's return to Bollywood after an eight-year hiatus since Rangrezz (2013). It is not a sequel to Hungama (2003), with Priyadarshan saying, "We decided to title the new comedy Hungama 2 because the mood of masti, mischief and hungama remain unchanged." It also marks the comeback of Shilpa Shetty for the first time in 14 years since Apne.
The principal photography commenced on 8 January 2020 in Mumbai. The film was initially scheduled for a theatrical release in India on 14 August 2020. However, production was halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic in India. Priyadarshan has indicated the filming is scheduled to resume in mid-September 2020. The film was wrapped up on 1 February 2021.
Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave the film 1 star and stated, "Priyadarshan was once feted for the controlled lunacy of his comedies. Here, the lunacy is intact. Control is conspicuous by its absence." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film 1.5 out of 5 stars and stated, "Only a few people keep you from fleeing this loud and obvious fare – a svelte Shilpa Shetty, Ashutosh Rana playing a curmudgeon, and Priyadarshan staple Paresh Rawal." Samrudhi Ghosh of Hindustan Times gave the film a negative review and stated, "Priyadarshan's chaotic comedy-of-errors is distressingly dated." Narendra Saini of NDTV India gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and stated, "[Priyadarshan] has a style of comedy, in which there is a lot of confusion and it is accompanied by a long army of stars. That's how he tries to laugh. But this time he misses out completely and tries to make the audience laugh through the old formula." Sudhanshu Maheshwari of Aaj Tak gave the film 2 out of 5 stars and stated, "In such a situation, there was some buzz about Hungama 2, but in the absence of comedy, it remained just a noisy film, which would not harm anyone in."
- "Shilpa Shetty's Hungama 2 to premiere on Disney+Hotstar on July 23". India Today. 30 June 2021. Retrieved 30 June 2021.
- "Hungama 2 Movie Review: Dear Mohanlal Fans, Stay Away from This Outdated Minnaram Remake, Starring Shilpa Shetty Kundra and Meezaan Jafri (LatestLY Exclusive) | 🎥 LatestLY". 24 July 2021.
- "Shilpa Shetty and Paresh Rawal are ready for a laugh riot with Meezan and Pranitha Subhash". India Today. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Shilpa Shetty replaces Shoma Anand opposite Paresh Rawal, Meezan joins the gang". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Priyadarshan returns to Bollywood with Hungama 2". Eastern Eye. 21 November 2019. Retrieved 7 April 2020.
- "Shilpa Shetty Kundra: I don't think it makes any sense for producers to release their films this year". Hindustan Times. 16 July 2020. Retrieved 19 July 2020.
- "Shilpa Shetty begins Hungama 2 shooting: Feeling a gamut of emotions". India Today. Retrieved 8 January 2020.
- "Priyadarshan to make 'Hungama 2' with this stellar cast; release date inside". Deccan Chronicle. 24 December 2019. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Here's Why Priyadarshan is Compelled to Shoot Hungama 2 Amid Coronavirus". News 18. 22 July 2020. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- "Double celebration for Hungama 2 as the team wraps shooting and celebrate director Priyadarshan's birthday". Bollywood Hungama. 1 February 2021. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Priyadarshan wraps Hungama 2 shoot". India Today. 1 February 2021. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Chura Ke Dil Mera 2.0 out. Shilpa Shetty honours Saroj Khan, says missed OG Akshay Kumar". India Today. 6 July 2020. Retrieved 15 July 2020.
- "Hungama 2 Review: Paresh Rawal, Shilpa Shetty, Meezaan Jaaferi's Film Is A Sloppy Comedy". NDTV.com. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- "Hungama 2 review: Shilpa Shetty and Paresh Rawal film is stale wine in an old bottle". The Indian Express. 25 July 2021. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- "Hungama 2 movie review: Shilpa Shetty, Meezaan, Paresh Rawal's film is distressingly dated". Hindustan Times. 24 July 2021. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- "Hungama 2 Movie Review: हंसाने में नाकाम रहती है शिल्पा शेट्टी की 'हंगामा 2', पढ़ें फिल्म रिव्यू". NDTVIndia. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- "Hungama 2 Review: शोर-शराबे का है 'राज', शिल्पा की फिल्म से कॉमेडी गायब". आज तक (in Hindi). 24 July 2021. Retrieved 25 July 2021.