Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania
Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania (transl. Humpty Sharma's bride) is a 2014 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film written and directed by Shashank Khaitan in his directorial debut, and produced by Hiroo Yash Johar and Karan Johar under the banner of Dharma Productions. The film stars Varun Dhawan as the titular character Rakesh, Alia Bhatt as Kavya Pratap Singh and debutante television actor Sidharth Shukla as Angad, in the lead roles. Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania notes the second pairing of the leads after their debut in Student of the Year and was released on 11 July 2014 and emerged a commercial success. A quasi-sequel, Badrinath Ki Dulhania, was released in 2017.
|Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania|
|Directed by||Shashank Khaitan|
|Written by||Shashank Khaitan|
|Produced by||Hiroo Yash Johar|
|Cinematography||Neha Parti Matiyani|
|Edited by||Manan Sagar|
|Music by||Original Songs:|
John Stewart Eduri
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||₹119.58 crore|
Kavya Pratap Singh, a beautiful, educated and stylish Punjabi girl from Ambala who is set to be engaged to an NRI American doctor, decides to go to Delhi to buy an expensive designer bridal dress for her wedding, after her father, Kamaljeet, refuses to get her the pricey dress. While staying at her maternal uncle's house, she comes across one of his students, Rakesh "Humpty" Kumar Sharma, a young and flirtatious Punjabi boy in Delhi, whose father, Vinod Kumar Sharma, runs a stationery shop. Humpty, with the help of his friends, Shonty and Poplu, chases Kavya, but she's not interested. He, however, manages to befriend her. Kavya confides in Humpty, that her friend in Delhi, Gurpreet Sodhi, was blackmailed by her ex-boyfriend, who had secretly filmed a sex sequence of the two.
Humpty stumbles upon an idea for victimizing Gurpreet's ex-boyfriend that would also avenge Gurpreet, and also gather the money for the wedding dress for Kavya. They manage to get some money but Kavya isn't happy about the way that money is obtained. However, these ensuing adventures make Kavya fall for Humpty, and the night before she is to leave for Ambala, they Have Sex and end up sleeping together. When Humpty asks her if she loves him, she says she won't go against Kamaljeet's wishes. In order to help Humpty get the money for Kavya's dress, Vinod, Poplu and Shonty chip in their savings. Kavya reluctantly accepts the money and leaves Delhi.
Kavya is a changed person when she arrives home. She tells her family that she has decided not to buy that expensive dress. In the meantime, she gifts a fancy car to Humpty using that money, as she had known from him about Vinod's dream for a car. Overwhelmed, Humpty and his friends go to Ambala, where he tries to win over Kavya. Kamaljeet believes firmly in arranged marriages against love marriages, as his elder daughter, Swati, married against his wishes and the marriage turned out to be a disaster ending in divorce. Kamaljeet instantly disapproves of Humpty, and gets the three friends beaten up. Upon repeated persuasion, he gives Humpty a chance to find at least one reason why Kavya shouldn't marry Angad. He sets him a five-day deadline to give him the reason. Humpty and his friends try their best to find flaws in Angad but fail to do so.
At the end of the deadline and on her wedding day, Kavya runs away from home and calls Humpty to join her on a train to leave town, but which he refuses and convinces Kavya to get off the train. Meanwhile, Kamaljeet and the rest of the family reach the train station, where Kavya and Humpty are embracing each other. Kamaljeet, wrongly assuming the pair was eloping, is enraged and hits Humpty, who gives a powerful and touching explanation saying that he may not be as rich, successful or good-looking as Angad, but he loves Kavya from the core of his heart. He leaves Ambala and heads back to Delhi after that incident. When Kavya is dressed up as a bride, Kamaljeet asks her if she still fancies that expensive wedding dress. She replies she's not fit for expensive classy dress, but is suitable for local dresses. As it dawns on Kamaljeet that her relationship would be fuller with Humpty and not Angad, he brings everyone to Delhi where he approaches Humpty and gives his consent to marry his daughter.
- Varun Dhawan as Rakesh "Humpty" Kumar Sharma
- Alia Bhatt as Kavya Pratap Singh , Angad's Fiancee
- Sidharth Shukla as Angad Bedi, an NRI suitor who Kamaljeet thinks is best for Kavya
- Ashutosh Rana as Kamaljeet Pratap Singh, Kavya's father
- Aditya Sharma as Ranjeet Pratap Singh, Kavya's brother
- Deepika Amin as Meher Pratap Singh, Kavya's mother
- Mahnaz Damania as Swati Pratap Singh, Kavya's divorced sister, whose failed marriage caused Kamaljeet to lose faith in love
- Gaurav Pandey as Shonty
- Sahil Vaid as Poplu
- Kenny Desai as Vinod Kumar Sharma, Humpty's father
- Guncha Narula as Gurpreet Sodhi, Kavya's friend
- Shivani Mahajan as Mrs. Chibber, Humpty's teacher
In August 2013, Dharma Productions confirmed that Varun Dhawan , Alia Bhatt and Sidarth Shukla would be portraying the main leads. This was the second time the pair would be seen together after Student of the Year, directed by Karan Johar. Johar in a press conference said that the film is a tribute to the cult romantic classic Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
Filming took place in Mumbai with a second schedule completed on 12 March in Punjab. Filming took place in Vaseela in March 2014 with more planned for Ambala and Chandigarh. The filming was completed in Ambala, Chandigarh, Khan Market and Delhi University, at a budget of ₹17.5 crore (US$2.5 million).
The song "Saturday Saturday" was filmed in Mumbai Film City recreating the Colosseum for a futuristic avatar song with Om Prakash as the director of photography and with Ahmed Khan as the choreographer.
|Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||16 June 2014|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The song "Saturday Saturday" was the first single track released, which was originally composed by The Titans, Badshah and recreated by Sharib-Toshi. The song "Samjhawan" was originally taken from 2010 Punjabi film Virsa and recreated by Sharib-Toshi, with vocals by Arijit Singh and Shreya Ghoshal. The second single track "Mein Tenu Samjhawan Ki" is sung by actress Alia Bhatt while lyrics have been given by lyricist Kumaar. DJ Chetas composed The Humpty Mashup also known as Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania Mashup.
|1.||"Saturday Saturday"||Indeep Bakshi, Badshah, Kumaar||Shaarib-Toshi, The Titans, Badshah||Akriti Kakar, Indeep Bakshi, Badshah||3:30|
|2.||"Samjhawan"||Ahmed Anees, Kumaar||Jawad Ahmed, Shaarib-Toshi||Arijit Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||4:29|
|3.||"Lucky Tu Lucky Me"||Shashank Khaitan||Sachin-Jigar||Benny Dayal, Anushka Manchanda, Varun Dhawan||3:23|
|4.||"Daingad Daingad"||Irshad Kamil||Sachin-Jigar||Udit Narayan, Divya Kumar, Akriti Kakar, Pratibha Baghel, Deepali Sathe, Niharika Sinha||3:43|
|5.||"Emotional Fool"||Kumaar||Shaarib-Toshi||Toshi Sabri||3:26|
|6.||"D Se Dance"||Irshad Kamil||Sachin-Jigar||Vishal Dadlani, Shalmali Kholgade |
Additional Vocals: Anushka Manchanda
|7.||"Samjhawan (Unplugged)"||Ahmed Anees, Kumaar||Jawad Ahmed, Sharib-Toshi||Alia Bhatt||3:36|
- Stardust Awards 2014
- Stardust Award for Breakthrough Performance – Male – Sidharth Shukla
- Best Actor (Romance / Comedy) – Varun Dhawan
- Best Actress (Romance/Comedy) – Alia Bhatt
In May 2016, it was announced that Khaitan will write and direct another romantic comedy under the Dharma Productions banner with Dhawan and Bhatt playing the lead roles. Although the two films will have different plots and characters, the film is considered the second installment in the Dulhania franchise that began with Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania. The second installment, titled Badrinath Ki Dulhania, released on 10 March 2017.
- "Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania – Movie – Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania Box Office Collection till Now | Box Collection - Bollywood Hungama".
- "Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Sanjay Datt to star together in Ki Dulhania". Hindustan Times. 6 August 2013. Archived from the original on 7 August 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Varun Dhawan Shoots For 'Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania' Despite Being Unwell and being shot in his chest several times". Yahoo. 27 December 2013. Archived from the original on 21 January 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania is an ode to true romance". The Times of India. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt to star together in Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania". India Today. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- Mangaokar, Shalvi. "Varun Dhawan, Hot Alia Bhatt to star together in Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 7 August 2013. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "In the cross fire". The Indian Express. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "From Student of the Year To Highway; Alia Bhatt Has Come A Long Way". Business of Cinema. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "'Punjab feels like home…': Varun Dhawan". Hindustan Times. 10 March 2014. Archived from the original on 14 March 2014. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "'Alia Bhatt and Varun on a shopping spree at 6.30 am?'". The Times of India. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "'Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania' and 'Lai Bhaari' pack solid punch!". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Alia Bhatt, Varun Dhawan step into future for 'Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania'". The Times of India. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Watch: Varun and Alia unveil Badrinath Ki Dulhania's quirky motion poster!". Deccan Chronicle. 3 May 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2016.