The Hummer H2 is a large SUV that was marketed by Hummer and built by AM General from 2002 to 2009 based on a modified GMT820 Chevrolet 2500 HD in front and 1500 frame in back. A common misconception was that it was based on a Tahoe frame. A four-door pickup truck version with a midgate that opens the vehicle's interior to the external cargo bed was introduced for 2005 as the "H2 SUT" (sport utility truck).
|Assembly||Mishawaka, Indiana, U.S.|
Kaliningrad, Russia (Avtotor)
|Designer||Clay Dean (2000)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||5-door truck|
|Layout||Front engine Four-wheel drive|
|Related||Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra|
Chevrolet Avalanche/Cadillac Escalade EXT
Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL
Cadillac Escalade/Cadillac Escalade ESV
|Wheelbase||122.8 in (3,119 mm)|
|Length||203.5 in (5,169 mm)|
|Width||81.3 in (2,065 mm)|
|Successor||GMC Yukon/Yukon XL|
Chevrolet Avalanche(for Sport utility truck)
The H2 was built by AM General under contract with General Motors at AM General Military Assembly Plant in Mishawaka, Indiana. The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The Hummer H2 is a unique frame and does not share any other frame in the GM community
The H2 was nominated for the North American Truck of the Year award for 2003.
- - 316 hp (236 kW; 320 PS) at 5200 rpm
- - 0-60 times: 10.9 sec
- - 325 hp (242 kW; 330 PS) at 5200 rpm
- - 0-60 times: 10.7 sec
- - 393 hp (293 kW; 398 PS) at 5700 rpm
- - 0-60 times: 9.1 sec
Standard features include air conditioning with tri-zone climate controls, tilt leather-wrapped steering wheel with radio controls, cruise control, leather upholstery, heated front and rear seats, 8-way power front seats, dual memory system, BOSE premium sound system, single-CD/cassette player and later in 2004, a 6-disc CD changer, then in 2008,a single CD-player with MP3 capability, an auxiliary input jack and DVD player, outside-temperature indicator, compass, rear radio controls, independent front torsion bar suspension, rear 5-link coil spring suspension specially created for the H2, oversized tires with HUMMER rims, universal garage door opener and remote engine start (2008–2009).
Options for the H2 include adjustable rear suspension [which is included within the Adventure Package], a wide power sunroof, rearview camera, DVD entertainment system, navigation system, ladder, custom grilles, side step bars, Air compressor with road assistance kit, and 20" chrome wheels (slightly different from stock wheels).
For 2008, the Hummer H2 and H2 SUT received a restyling, to keep the vehicles up to date with the all-new-for-2007 GM full-size SUV's and pickup trucks (the Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade EXT, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500/2500HD/3500HD Chevrolet Suburban, the Chevrolet Suburban 1500/2500HD, the Chevrolet Tahoe, the GMC Sierra 1500/2500HD/3500HD, and the GMC Yukon and the GMC Yukon XL 1500/2500HD). While largely unchanged on the exterior, the H2 and H2 SUT received a redesigned interior. The interior redesign included new instrument cluster with improved gauges and Driver Information Center (DIC), a new leather-wrapped steering wheel, three new radios with a Bose premium audio system and auxiliary audio inputs (including a new touchscreen GPS navigation radio with DVD audio and video playback while in park, and XM Nav-Traffic capabilities), a new rear seat DVD entertainment system, Bluetooth hands-free calling capabilities, enhanced voice activation, new OnStar hardware with buttons moved from the rearview mirror to the overhead console, a lower dashboard-mounted radio, new dual-zone climate controls, new rear seat audio system controls, a new dash-mounted control knob for the 4X4 system to replace the old pushbutton controls, brushed aluminum interior trim panels, new interior color options, available remote engine start, and a center dashboard-mounted analogue clock.
Also for 2008, a new 393-horsepower, 6.2L V8 gasoline engine replaced the old 325-horsepower, 6.0L V8 gasoline unit, with a new "6L80-E" six-speed automatic transmission replaced the old "4L65-E" four-speed automatic unit.
General Motors is not required to provide official fuel economy ratings for the H2 due to the vehicle's heavy gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). Prior to 2011, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) exempted vehicles with a GVWR over 8,500 lb (3,900 kg) from fuel economy standards and testing.
|Motortrend||10 mpg‑US (24 L/100 km; 12 mpg‑imp) / 4.3 km/l|
|Car and Driver||9 mpg‑US (26 L/100 km; 11 mpg‑imp) / 3.8 km/l|
|about.com||9 mpg‑US (26 L/100 km; 11 mpg‑imp) / 3.8 km/l|
|Edmunds||9.2 mpg‑US (26 L/100 km; 11.0 mpg‑imp) / 3.9 km/l|
|Four Wheeler||10.8 mpg‑US (22 L/100 km; 13.0 mpg‑imp) / 4.6 km/l|
Tax benefits in the United StatesEdit
Under the United States income tax code, the cost of vehicles over 6,000 pounds (2,700 kg) can be deducted from specific forms of income. This deduction was enacted decades prior to assist self-employed people in purchasing a vehicle for business use. The weight minimum was intended to limit the deduction to commercial-type trucks. For many years, the deduction remained below the average cost of a new vehicle, since large trucks were relatively inexpensive. Since it is a reduction in taxable income, the actual value of this deduction averages 30% of the price of the vehicle in question.
The increasing popularity of these commercial vehicles in the late 1990s and early 2000s, however, pushed their average price to nearly double the average passenger car cost. In response, the 2002 Tax Act increased this "Section 179 depreciation deduction" to US$75,000, and it rose again to US$102,000 for the 2004 tax year. This is more than three times the current average cost of a passenger car in the United States and covers a large number of luxury models, including the Hummer H2. In late 2006, the deduction was again reduced to US$25,000 for vehicles with GVWR between 6,000 lb (2,700 kg) and 14,000 lb (6,400 kg).
Base price MSRP for (2002-2003) the H2 was $53,286.
Base price MSRP for (2004-2009) the H2 was $59,880.
The 2009 Black Chrome Edition Base Price MSRP was $67,450.
Yearly American salesEdit
|Calendar Year||Total American sales|
- Fowler, George (2016). Car-tastrophes: 80 Automotive Atrocities from the past 20 years. Veloce Publishing. p. 56. ISBN 9781845849337. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- Clavey, William (12 July 2017). "The Hummer H2 Is A Grand And Opulent Bad Idea". Jalopnik. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- McCraw, Jim (August 2004). "Hummer H2 SUT - A paramilitary pickup for those who have little or nothing to pick up". Car and Driver. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "2003 Hummer H2 Review". New Car Test Drive. June 30, 2002. Archived from the original on September 20, 2017. Retrieved September 20, 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "GM Tames Hummer With H2 Concept". The Chicago Tribune. Illinois. April 12, 2001.
- Saabkyle04 (27 May 2010). "2009 Hummer H2 Black Chrome Limited Edition (Sedona Metallic Ext./Sedona Int.) Quick Look" – via YouTube.
- Saabkyle04 (4 June 2010). "2009 Hummer H2 Sedona Metallic Black Chrome Edition Start Up, Exhaust, and In Depth Review" – via YouTube.
- "AutoRooster 0-60 times". Auto Specs. AutoRooster. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Vehicle Showroom - H2". GM Buy Power. Archived from the original on May 1, 2007. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Frank, Michael (17 February 2013). "Hummer H2". Forbes. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
Estimated, because the H2, like the Ford Excursion, is so heavy and features such a high gross vehicle weight that the EPA doesn't even bother to test its fuel efficiency.
- "Which Vehicles Are Tested". www.fueleconomy.gov. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "Motor Trend". Motor Trend. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Car and Driver".
- "Trucks at About.com". Trucks.about.com. 2010-06-19. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Edmunds". Edmunds. Archived from the original on 2009-02-04. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Four Wheeler". Four Wheeler. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "mediaOnline". Media.gm.com. 2003-01-03. Archived from the original on March 27, 2008. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- "GM Reports December 2005 and Year Results". www.theautochannel.com.
- "GM Media Online". Media.gm.com. 2007-01-03. Archived from the original on February 21, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- "GM Media Online". Media.gm.com. 2009-01-05. Archived from the original on August 31, 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- "Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac Post Sales Gains". GM Media. 2010-01-05.