Humberto Calderón Berti
Humberto Calderón Berti (born 21 October 1941 in Boconó, Venezuela) is a Venezuelan geologist, petroleum engineer, diplomat, politician and author, named in 2019 as ambassador to Colombia by interim Venezuelan president Juan Guaido during the 2019 Venezuelan presidential crisis, and welcomed by Carlos Holmes Trujillo, Colombia's foreign minister.
Calderón Berti is a former president of PDVSA (Venezuela's state-owned petroleum company), and the country's former Minister of Energy and Mines, as well as former Minister of Foreign Affairs. He is also a former OPEC president. His undergraduate degree was from the Central University of Venezuela, and he has a Master's in petroleum engineering from the University of Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
In 2003, he and other former PDVSA petroleum executives founded the Colombian company, Vetra Energia, S.L. He solicited and was granted Spanish citizenship, where he has family and cultural ties, in 2018 because of persecution due to his membership in Venezuela's Social Christian political party (Copei).
His publications include:
- Hacia una Política Petrolera Integral: la Responsabilidad Nacional, el Compromiso Internacional (in Spanish) (1979)
- La Coyuntura Petrolera Venezolana 1982 (in Spanish) (1982)
- Venezuela y Su Política Petrolera, 1979–1983 (in Spanish) (1986) ISBN 9802650811
- La Invasión a Kuwait (in Spanish) (1991) ISBN 9802631655
- "Para mí es muy grato, en nombre del Presidente Iván Duque, recibir de manos del Embajador Humberto Calderón Berti, las copias de cartas credenciales que lo acreditan como Embajador de Venezuela en Colombia": Canciller Carlos Holmes Trujillo (in Spanish). Consulate of Colombia in Machiques Official Site. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "Colombia reconoció a Humberto Calderón Berti como representante diplomático de Venezuela". Noticias Caracol (in Spanish). 29 January 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- Cárdenas, Abel (25 November 2018). "'Aún hay mucho petróleo por descubrir'". El Tiempo. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "ACON y CIPEF compran Vetra, uno de los principales productores independientes de petróleo y gas de Colombia]". Acon Investments LLC (Press release). PR Newswire. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 1 February 2019.
- "España concedió la nacionalidad al ex ministro Humberto Calderón". El Nacional. 16 March 2018. Retrieved 1 February 2019.