Human figure (aesthetics)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In aesthetics, the human figure or human form in art, sculpture and other art forms involves a study and appreciation of the beauty of the human body in its depiction or presentation. The study involves an appreciation of the body shape, including body postures - sitting, standing or even sleeping, and movements - walking, running, dancing etc. Kant refers to the human figure as the ideal of beauty. The human figure conforms very well to the law that states that form follows function, which is a result of evolution over thousands of generations.
The human figure is one of the most enduring themes in the visual arts. Very few art forms are not related to human figure such as music, though it figures in lyrics. A study of the human figure includes a detailed study of the following subjects:
- Sculpture is similar to figure drawing.
- Figure drawing involves the depiction of the body in different postures or in motion or at work.
- Literature involves the description of the human figure to imply its sexual attraction, physical ability and mentality.
- Dance is an art form that involves movement of the body, usually rhythmic and to music, used as a form of expression, social interaction or presented in a spiritual or performance setting.
- Body language involves body posture, gestures, facial expressions, and eye movements.
- Fashion and accessories.
- Ergonomics in passenger vehicles and seatings, this deals with unisex approach to human figure.
- Gait analysis
- 3D animation
Sculpture and figure drawingEdit
A figure drawing is a study of the human form in its various shapes and postures. It is a study or stylized depiction of the human form, with the line and form of the human figure as the primary objective, rather than the subject person. It is a composed image of the subject in a still position. A life drawing is a work that has been drawn from an observation of a live model.