Huitaca or Xubchasgagua was a rebelling goddess in the religion of the Muisca. The Muisca and their confederation were one of the four advanced civilizations of the Americas who inhabited the Altiplano Cundiboyacense in the Andes. Huitaca has been described by the chroniclers Juan de Castellanos in his Elegías de varones ilustres de Indias, Lucas Fernández de Piedrahita and Pedro Simón.
Witchcraft, sexual liberation,
arts, dance, music and Moon
|Member of Muisca religion|
Huitaca was cursed by Bochica
and turned into a white owl
Spellings and namesEdit
Huitaca was the goddess of arts, dance and music, witchcraft, sexual liberation and the Moon. According to the Muisca legends Huitaca was a goddess of extreme beauty who praised a life full of joy, games, pleasure and drunkenness who was rebelling against Bochica upon which he turned her into a white owl.
Huitaca in modern artEdit
Sculptor Julia Merizalde Price has made a sculpture honouring Huitaca, picturing her after the curse of Bochica.
Photographer Carlos Saavedra has made an exposition showing different indigenous women of Colombia in his search for Huitaca.
Named after HuitacaEdit
- Ocampo López, 2013, Ch. 6, p.45
- Ocampo López, 2013, Ch. 6, p.46
- Ocampo López, 2013, Ch. 6, p.47
- Ocampo López, 2013, Ch. 6, p.48
- Ocampo López, 2007, Ch.V, p.221
- (in Spanish) 2012 - Huitaca, la diosa muisca en el Palacio Liévano - El Tiempo - accessed 28-04-2016
- (in Spanish) 2015 - Huitaca y el arquetipo de la diosa rebelde desde la antiguedad hasta nuestros días - accessed 28-04-2016
- (in Spanish) Chía: Moon goddess - Pueblos Originarios - accessed 28-04-2016
- (in Spanish) Chía: mitos y leyendas - accessed 28-04-2016
- (in Spanish) Sculpture Huitaca - accessed 28-04-2016
- (in Spanish) 2012 - Las hijas de la diosa chibcha 'Huitaca' - accessed 28-04-2016
- Data related to Huitaca at Wikispecies
- Ocampo López, Javier. 2013. Mitos y leyendas indígenas de Colombia - Indigenous myths and legends of Colombia, 1-219. Plaza & Janes Editores Colombia S.A..
- Ocampo López, Javier. 2007. Grandes culturas indígenas de América - Great indigenous cultures of the Americas, 1–238. Plaza & Janes Editores Colombia S.A..