Hugo Edgar Maxwell Blick (born 7 December 1964 in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire), sometimes credited as Hugo E. Blick, is an English writer, producer, director and occasional actor. He has his own production company, called Eight Rooks.
Hugo Edgar Maxwell Blick
7 December 1964
|Known for||The Shadow Line|
The Honourable Woman
Black Earth Rising
He has acted in several films, appearing as a young Jack Napier, the character that would ultimately become the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman delivering the famous line "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?" after having killed the Wayne couple and while at the same time drawing his gun on a young Bruce Wayne.
He also wrote the TV series The Last Word Monologues, a series of three shorts featuring Sheila Hancock, Rhys Ifans and Bob Hoskins. He has also had producer credits on several works including Roger & Val Have Just Got In starring Dawn French and Alfred Molina.
As a writer he co-created, produced and directed the TV comedies Marion and Geoff with Rob Brydon, Operation Good Guys in which he also appeared as 'Smiler' McCarthy and wrote and created the noir thriller The Shadow Line (2011) for the BBC, which starred Chiwetel Ejiofor and Christopher Eccleston.
In 2014, Blick wrote and directed the BBC drama series The Honourable Woman, which won a Peabody Award and Golden Globe Award. In 2017, it was announced that Blick would write and direct Black Earth Rising for BBC Two and Netflix.
- 1997: Operation Good Guys
- 2000: Marion and Geoff
- 2001: A Small Summer Party
- 2002: Up in Town
- 2005: Sensitive Skin
- 2008: The Last Word Monologues
- 2010: Roger & Val Have Just Got In (Executive Producer)
- 2011: The Shadow Line
- 2014: The Honourable Woman
- 2018: Black Earth Rising
- 1989: Batman – Young Jack Napier
- 1989: Blackadder Goes Forth – Lieutenant von Gerhardt
- 1989: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court – Mordred
- 1990: Jeeves and Wooster – Claude Wooster
- 1992: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery – De Torres
- 1996: The Wind in the Willows – Justin
- 1997: Operation Good Guys – 'Smiler' McCarthy
- 2005: Sensitive Skin – G.I. Johnson
- 2018: Black Earth Rising – Blake Gaines
- Blick, Hugo (3 July 2014). "Q&A with Hugo Blick, Writer, Producer and Director of The Honourable Woman". BBC. Writers Room Blog. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
This is an extract from a Q&A by Hugo Blick for the MIPTV event in Cannes in April 2014
- Jeffery, Morgan (3 July 2014). "From Batman to The Shadow Line: Hugo Blick's amazing career". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Hugo Blick: Television Mini Masterclass". BAFTA. 12 May 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Companies in the UK: Eight Rooks Limited Linked 2014-07-09
- "Advice From Actor-Turned-Writer Alumni". Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "In pictures: Hugo Blick". The Guardian. 28 August 2008. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Raphael, Amy (3 May 2011). "The Shadow Line: Don't mention The Wire". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Morgan, Eleanor (13 May 2011). "Hugo Blick on how he wrote The Shadow Line". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Swift, Andy (11 January 2015). "Golden Globes 2015: Gina Rodriguez, Transparent, The Affair Win Big". TVLine. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Holston, Noel (16 April 2015). "The Honourable Woman, 74th Annual Peabody Award Winners". The Peabody Awards. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Netflix Boards BBC Drama 'Troy' From 'Night Manager' Writer". Hollywood Reporter. 1 March 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "U.K. Camera Operator Dies Filming Stunt Scene for BBC, Netflix Drama". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 20 November 2017.