Huawei Mate 9
|Slogan||A Step Ahead|
|Compatible networks||4G LTE – Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9/12/17/18/19/20/26/28/29/38/40/41|
|First released||3 November 2016|
|Predecessor||Huawei Mate 8|
156.9 mm (6.18 in) H
|Weight||190 g (6.7 oz)
169 g (6.0 oz) (Porsche Design Edition)
|Operating system||Android 7.0 "Nougat" with Emotion UI 5.0|
|System on chip||HiSilicon Kirin 960|
|Memory||4 GB RAM
6 GB RAM (Chinese Edition and Porsche Design Edition)
|Storage||32 GB (Chinese Edition)
128 GB (Chinese Edition)
256 GB (Porsche Design Edition)
|Removable storage||Micro SD up to 256 GB (except Porsche Design Edition)|
|Battery||4,000 mAh Li-ion battery|
|Display||5.9-inch 1080 x 1920 pixels IPS display, 16.7M colors
5.5-inch 1440 x 2560 pixels Curved AMOLED Display, 16.7M colors (Porsche Design Edition)
|Rear camera||20 MP + 12 MP|
|Front camera||8 MP|
The Mate 9 is a phablet with all-metal body. It uses a 5.9-inch display, with Full HD resolution (1920x1080 pixels) and sloping 2.5D shielded glass. The Mate 9 also included FPC1025 fingerprint sensor, which produced by Fingerprint Cards of Sweden. The fingerprint sensor uses a 4-level security system for speed and accuracy.
The Mate 9 has an octa-core HiSilicon Kirin 960 chipset, which features an ARM Cortex-A73/A53 Octa-core CPU and Mali G71 Octa-core GPU, which reduces power consumption by 15 percent. According to Huawei, the chipset is "the fastest [it has] built." It includes 4,000 mAh high-density battery with Huawei’s SuperCharge technology, which allows 58 percent charge in half-an-hour and a full charge in 90 minutes. The battery provides the Mate 9 with over two days of battery life.
The dual camera module is powered by Leica. The rear (main) camera is compounded with f/2.2 12-megapixel color camera and one f/2.2 20-megapixel monochrome camera, which lets users take two images together to produce an image with more detail. The monochrome lens can be used separately. It also includes “lossless zoom” and “4-in-1 hybrid focus”, which allows uses to zoom in on a subject without worrying about degrading the quality of the photo, and a combination of laser, phase detection, depth, and contrast focus. The Mate 9 also features 4K video, and a front-facing 8MP camera.
The Mate 9 comes in Space Gray, Moonlight Silver, Champagne Gold, Mocha Brown, Ceramic White and black (only available in China). It's equipped with 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM, and microSD support up to 256GB. It also provides 4GB+32GB and 6GB+128GB versions. There is a mono SIM version with lower camera sensor.
Huawei also released the Porsche Design Limited Edition of Mate 9, which combines Porsche Design’s signature aesthetic with Huawei’s technology. It's equipped with 6 GB RAM, 256 GB ROM and a 5.5-inch curved AMOLED display, with WQHD resolution (2560x1440 pixels) and AMOLED technology. The edition is available in Graphite Black only.
The Mate 9 is preloaded with Android 7.0 "Nougat" and Huawei’s Emotion UI (EMUI) 5.0, which improves the system's performance over previous versions. In February 2017, the phone is scheduled to gain Amazon Alexa support in the United States. The Mate 9 is the first phone to feature the optical flow-based video stabilization "Vidhance" from IMINT Image Intelligence AB.
The Mate 9 is available in the following first-wave launch markets, include China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Thailand, and United Arab Emirates. The Mate 9 is priced at €699, and the Porsche Design Limited Edition is priced at €1395.
The Mate 9 has received generally positive reviews. In Tom's Guide, Sam Rutherford said "Huawei's Mate 9 is the kitchen sink of phones. You get a boatload of features, such as an IR blaster, clever stereo speakers, a fingerprint sensor, and a big, bright, 5.9-inch screen...it would still be the fastest Android phone on the market." while TechAdvisor said, "Huawei’s Mate 9 has the potential to be the best in the Huawei line-up, boasting an impressively large battery alongside powerful internals, an improved dual-camera setup and a sleek, gorgeous design." Shaan Haider on Geeky Stuffs said, " Huawei Mate 9 is a great phone and score brilliantly in every aspect. It comes with a big and beautiful screen, great camera with additional features like dedicated monochrome sensor, top quality fingerprint sensor, feature-rich and productive EMUI along with a moderate battery life."
- "Huawei Introduces the HUAWEI Mate 9". Huawei. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9 is a dual-camera bruiser". Cnet. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9 review: Hands on with Huawei’s latest smartphone, offering impressive internals, an improved dual-camera setup and a refreshed UI". TechAdvisor. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei’s Mate 9 is what high-end smartphone dreams are made of". Digital Trends. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9 features Fingerprints sensor". Planet Biometrics. 4 November 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9 specifications". Huawei. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9". NDTV. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei Mate 9 Connectivity". Huawei. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "HUAWEI Mate 9规格参数". Huawei. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- "PORSCHE DESIGN HUAWEI Mate 9 specifications". Huawei. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Huawei's Mate 9 Becomes the First Alexa Phone". 6 January 2017.
- "Imint's Vidhance video stabilization in Huawei Mate 9". Aktietorget. 23 January 2017.
- "Huawei Mate 9 Review: The Big-Screen Phone for Android Lovers". Tom's Guide. 10 November 2016. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Shaan Haider, "Huawei Mate 9 : Detailed Hands-on Review, Features and Specs ", Geeky Stuffs, May, 2017