Hrvoje Petek (born January 13, 1958) is a Croatian-born American physicist and the Richard King Mellon Professor of Physics and Astronomy, at the University of Pittsburgh, where he is also a professor of chemistry.
|Born||January 13, 1958|
|Nationality||United States, Croatia|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1980, B.S., Chemistry)|
University of California, Berkeley (1985, Ph.D., Chemistry)
|Known for||Ultrafast laser spectroscopy,|
Two-photon photoelectron spectroscopy
|Institutions||Institute for Molecular Science|
University of Pittsburgh
Petek received his B.S. degree in chemistry from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1980. Subsequently, he obtained his Ph.D. degree in chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley in 1985.
Research and careerEdit
Petek has developed coherent photoelectron spectroscopy and microscopy as methods for studying the dephasing and spatial propagation of polarization fields in solid state materials and nanostructure. He is developing methods for multidimensional multiphoton-photoemission spectroscopy. Together with Taketoshi Minato, Yousoo Kim, Maki Kawai, Jin Zhao, Jinlong Yang and Jianguo Hou, Petek discovered a delocalized electronic structure created by oxygen vacancy on titanium dioxide surface. Together with Jin Zhao, Ken Jordan and Ken Onda, Petek also discovered wet electron states, where electrons are partially solvated by water and other protic solvents at molecule vacuum interfaces. Together with Min Feng and Jin Zhao, Petek discovered atom-like superatom states of C60, and similar hollow molecules. Petek's research of metal plasmon excitations with semiconductor substrates, unrevealed the charge injection from optically active plasmonic modes into semiconductor substrates.
Petek is Editor-in-Chief of Progress in Surface Science and has organized conferences such as the 11th International Symposium of Ultrafast Surface Dynamics, held in Qiandao Lake, China. Petek has been (2015-2019) a member of the National Research and Development Agency Committee for the National Institute for Materials Science and is currently a senior scientific advisor to the Japanese Institute for Molecular Science.
Awards and honorsEdit
- 2019 Ahmed Zewail Award in Ultrafast Science and Technology
- 2018 American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows
- 2005 Chancellor's Distinguished Research Award, University of Pittsburgh
- 2002 Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2000 Alexander von Humboldt Research Award
- 1996–1999, 2003–2006 NEDO Joint International Research Grant Awardee
- "Homepage department of physics & astronomy at University of Pittsburgh".
- "Hrvoje Petek | Department of Chemistry | University of Pittsburgh".
- "Laboratory of Ultrafast Dynamics".
- "Laboratory of Ultrafast Dynamics".
- Ogawa, S.; Nagano, H.; Petek, H.; Heberle, A.P. (17 Feb 1997). "Optical Dephasing in Cu(111) Measured by Interferometric Two-Photon Time-Resolved Photoemission". Phys. Rev. Lett. 78 (7): 1339–1342. Bibcode:1997PhRvL..78.1339O. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.78.1339.
- Petek, H.; Ogawa, S. (30 Dec 1997). "Femtosecond time-resolved two-photon photoemission studies of electron dynamics in metals". Progress in Surface Science. 56 (4): 239–310. Bibcode:1997PrSS...56..239P. doi:10.1016/S0079-6816(98)00002-1.
- Dąbrowski, Maciej; Dai, Yanan; Petek, Hrvoje (30 August 2017). "Ultrafast Microscopy: Imaging Light with Photoelectrons on the Nano–Femto Scale". J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 8 (18): 4446–4455. doi:10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b00904. PMID 28853892.
- Reutzel, Marcel; Li, Andi; Petek, Hrvoje (8 March 2019). "Coherent Two-Dimensional Multiphoton Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Metal Surfaces". Phys. Rev. X. 9 (1): 011044. arXiv:1807.09164. Bibcode:2019PhRvX...9a1044R. doi:10.1103/PhysRevX.9.011044. S2CID 119429960.
- Minato, Taketoshi; Sainoo, Yasuyuki; Kim, Yousoo; Kato, Hiroyuki S.; Aika, Ken-ichi; Kawai, Maki; Zhao, Jin; Petek, Hrvoje; Huang, Tian; He, Wei; Wang, Bing (2009-03-23). "The electronic structure of oxygen atom vacancy and hydroxyl impurity defects on titanium dioxide (110) surface". The Journal of Chemical Physics. 130 (12): 124502. doi:10.1063/1.3082408. ISSN 0021-9606. PMID 19334846.
- Onda, Ken; Li, Bin; Zhao, Jin; Jordan, Kenneth D.; Yang, Jinglong; Petek, Hrvoje (20 May 2005). "Wet Electrons at the H2O/TiO2(110) Surface". Science. 308 (5725): 1154–1158. Bibcode:2005Sci...308.1154O. doi:10.1126/science.1109366. PMID 15905397. S2CID 46147775.
- Feng, Min; Zhao, Jin; Petek, Hrvoje (18 April 2009). "Atomlike, hollow-core-bound molecular orbitals of C60". Science. 320 (5874): 359–362. Bibcode:2008Sci...320..359F. doi:10.1126/science.1155866. PMID 18420931. S2CID 7839410.
- Tan, Shijing; Argondizzo, Adam; Ren, Jindong; Liu, Liming; Zhao, Jin; Petek, Hrvoje (30 November 2017). "Plasmonic coupling at a metal/semiconductor interface". Nature Photonics. 11 (12): 806–812. Bibcode:2017NaPho..11..806T. doi:10.1038/s41566-017-0049-4. S2CID 125592128.
- "The Editor in Chief of Progress in Surface Science". Progress in Surface Science. Retrieved 2019-05-16.
- "Ultrafast Surface Dynamics 11". usd11.github.io. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
- "Hrvoje Petek, Senior Scientific Advisor". Institute for Molecular Science. Japan. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "ACS 2019 national award winners". ACS. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Two Pitt Professors Named American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellows". University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- "Chancellor's Distinguished Research Award". University of Pittsburgh. Retrieved 2005-03-28.
- "APS Fellow Archive". www.aps.org. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
- "Hrvoje Petek Receives Medal Following Alexander von Humboldt Lecture". Pittsburgh Quantum Institute. Retrieved 2019-09-23.
- "New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization". NEDO. Retrieved 2019-05-06.
- Petek Research Lab – Official website