How to Make Love Like a Porn Star
How to Make Love Like a Porn Star: A Cautionary Tale is the autobiography of adult film star Jenna Jameson, published August 17, 2004. It was mainly written by co-writer Neil Strauss, later famous for writing The Game, and published by ReganBooks, a division of HarperCollins. It was an instant best-seller, spending six weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list. The autobiography also won the 2004 "Mainstream's Adult Media Favorite" XRCO award in a tie with Seymore Butts's Family Business TV series.
|Author||Jenna Jameson with Neil Strauss|
|September 1, 2004|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
|791.4302/8/092 B 22|
|LC Class||PN2287.J295 A3 2004|
The nearly 600 page book is divided into Books numbered with Roman numerals, each preceded by an epigraph from a Shakespearean sonnet. The narrative is told through a series of first person accounts, interviews with her family, diary entries in a font resembling handwriting, personal photos, movie scripts, and comic book panels. It covers her life from her childhood to her beginning in show business as a stripper, living with her tattoo artist biker boyfriend, and ends with her receiving the Hot D'Or award at Cannes and her second wedding. Jameson tells of multiple rapes, drug addictions, an unhappy first marriage, and numerous affairs with men and women.
The book was translated into German as Pornostar. Die Autobiographie (ISBN 978-3-453-67504-9) in November 2005, Swedish as Att älska som en porrstjärna – en sedelärande berättelse in 2005 and Spanish as Como hacer el amor igual que una estrella del porno (ISBN 978-84-270-3190-6) in January 2006. Jameson dedicated the book to her late mother, Judith Hunt.
Jameson has expressed interest in having actress Scarlett Johansson play her in a feature film version of the book. A representative for Johansson, however, has stated that Johansson has no interest in such a role.
Strauss has written a similarly titled and themed book, How to Make Money Like a Porn Star, mainly in graphic novel format, and without Jameson's participation. Strauss wrote it from stories he learned of while researching Jameson's book. Like How to Make Love..., How to Make Money... also features different formats, including magazine articles, fake advertisements, and an activity book.
- "The (Porn) Player" by Matthew Miller, Forbes magazine, July 4, 2005
- "'How to Make Love Like a Porn Star': Lovers and Other Strangers" New York Times Book Review by Jane and Michael Stern, September 5, 2004
- "Jenna Jameson, best-selling author?" Reuters via MSNBC, October 5, 2004. Internet Archive copy from September 9, 2005:]
- "How to Make Love Like a Porn Star" by Jenna Jameson Archived 2004-11-11 at the Wayback Machine Salon magazine book review by Charles Taylor, August 25, 2004
- "Pornostar. Die Autobiographie"
- "Como Hacer El Amor Igual Que Una Estrella Del Porno", Amazon.com
- Scott Huver and Tim Nudd. "Scarlett Johansson: Not Playing a Porn Star" People magazine. July 31, 2007
- "How to Make Money Like a Porn Star!", New York Magazine book review by Jada Yuan, October 16, 2006
- "Nonfiction Review: HOW TO MAKE LOVE LIKE A PORN STAR: A Cautionary Tale by Jenna Jameson". Publishersweekly.com. 2004-08-09. Retrieved 2013-07-18.