How Stella Got Her Groove Back
How Stella Got Her Groove Back is a 1998 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Kevin Rodney Sullivan, adapted from Terry McMillan's best-selling novel of the same title. The film stars Angela Bassett, Taye Diggs (in his film debut), Whoopi Goldberg, and Regina King. The original music score was composed by Michel Colombier.
|How Stella Got Her Groove Back|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kevin Rodney Sullivan|
|Produced by||Deborah Schindler|
|Based on||How Stella Got Her Groove Back|
by Terry McMillan
|Music by||Michel Colombier|
|Edited by||George Bowers|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Box office||$39.2 million|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2020)
Stella Payne is a very successful 40-year-old stockbroker raising her son, Quincy, and living in Marin County, California, who is persuaded by her best friend from college, Delilah Abraham, to take a well-deserved, first-class vacation to Montego Bay, Jamaica. As she soaks in the beauty of the island, she encounters a handsome young islander, Winston Shakespeare, who is twenty years her junior. His pursuit of her turns into a blossoming romance that forces Stella to take personal inventory of her life and try to find a balance between her desire for love and companionship, and her responsibilities as a mother and corporate executive.
- Angela Bassett as Stella Payne
- Taye Diggs as Winston Shakespeare
- Whoopi Goldberg as Delilah Abraham
- Regina King as Vanessa
- Suzzanne Douglas as Angela
- Michael J. Pagan as Quincy Payne
- Sicily as Chantel
- Richard Lawson as Jack
- Barry Shabaka Henley as Buddy
- Lee Weaver as Nate
- Glynn Turman as Dr. Shakespeare
- Phyllis Yvonne Stickney as Mrs. Shakespeare
- Denise Hunt as Ms. Thang
- James Pickens, Jr. as Walter Payne
- Carl Lumbly as Judge Spencer Boyle
- Victor Garber (uncredited) as Isaac
On Rotten Tomatoes the film has an approval rating of 50% based on 50 reviews. On Metacritic the film has a score of 56 out of 100 based on reviews from 23 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews. Audiences surveyed by CinemaScore gave the film a grade A−.
In its opening weekend, Stella grossed $11,318,919, ranking #2 in the domestic box office behind Saving Private Ryan's fourth weekend. The film would go on to gross $36,672,941 domestically and an additional $1,605,781 overseas for a worldwide total of $39,278,722. From an estimated $20 million budget, this can be considered a moderate success.
A soundtrack containing mostly R&B and reggae was released on August 11, 1998, by MCA Records. It peaked at number eight on the Billboard 200 and number three on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, and was certified gold on September 22, 1998.
- Best Actress – Angela Bassett (won)
- Best Actor – Taye Diggs (nominated)
- Best Actress – Whoopi Goldberg (won)
- Best Director – Kevin Rodney Sullivan (nominated)
- Best Film (won)
- Best Screenplay – Terry McMillan (nominated)
- Best Soundtrack (won)
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Motion Picture – Angela Bassett (won)
- Outstanding Motion Picture (won)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture – Whoopi Goldberg (won)
- Outstanding Youth Actor/Actress – Michael J. Pagan (won)
- "HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 1998-11-17. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- How Stella Got Her Groove Back at Box Office Mojo
- Gene Seymour (August 21, 1998). "Angela Bassett Reaches a Stellar Groove at Last". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- Stephen Holden (August 14, 1998). "FILM REVIEW; He Likes Video Games? Nobody's Perfect". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Margaret A. McGurk (August 14, 1998). "Bassett gets her groove". The Cincinnati Enquirer. Archived from the original on October 22, 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- Roger Ebert (August 14, 1998). "How Stella Got Her Groove Back". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2012-06-03.
- "How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998)" – via www.rottentomatoes.com.
- "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" – via www.metacritic.com.
- HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK (1998) Archived 2018-12-20 at the Wayback Machine CinemaScore
- "Weekend Box Office Results for August 14-16, 1998". Amazon.com. Box Office Mojo. 1998-08-17. Retrieved 2013-02-03.