How Did This Get Made?
How Did This Get Made? (HDTGM) is a podcast on the Earwolf network. It is hosted by Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas. Each episode, which typically has a different guest, features the deconstruction and mockery of outlandish and bad films.
|Theme music composed by||Warren Fitzgerald|
|No. of episodes||217|
(plus 217 minisodes, 3 bonus episodes, and 3 Origins episodes)
|Original release||December 10, 2010– present|
The hosts and guest make jokes about the films as well as attempt to unscramble plots. After discussing the film, Scheer reads "second opinions" in the form of five-star reviews posted online by Amazon.com users. The hosts also often make recommendations on if the film is worth watching. The show is released every two weeks.
During the show's off week a ".5" episode (also known as a "minisode") is uploaded. These episodes feature Scheer's "explanation hopeline" where he answers questions from fans who call in, the movie for the next week is announced, Scheer reads corrections and omissions from the message board regarding last week's episode, and he opens fan mail and provides his recommendations on books, movies, TV shows etc. that he is enjoying.
Some full episodes are recorded in front of a live audience and include a question and answer session and original "second opinion" theme songs sung by fans. Not all content from the live shows is included in the final released episode - about 30 minutes of each live show is edited out.
How Did This Get Made? began after Scheer and Raphael saw the movie Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. Later, the pair talked to Mantzoukas about the movie and joked about the idea for starting a bad movie podcast. As of May 2019[update], Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps has never been covered on the podcast.
In May 2018, Scheer began a new podcast with Amy Nicholson also devoted to movies, called Unspooled, but this time those deemed good enough for the AFI Top 100. This is often referenced in How Did This Get Made?, often by Mantzoukas and Raphael, annoyed at how they hadn't been invited to host this new podcast, instead being subjected to the bad films that HDTGM covers.
- "Warren Fitzgerald". Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Rabin, Nathan (February 7, 2013). "Paul Scheer picks his favorite How Did This Get Made? episodes". A.V. Club. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- "How Did This Get Made?". Earwolf. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Lindsey, Craig D. (July 22, 2014). "Interview: Paul Scheer of "How Did This Get Made?"". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Graham, Byron (August 21, 2018). "Podcast Profiles: How Did This Get Made?". westworld.com. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- Paul Scheer (2019-05-17). "How Did This Get Made?" (Podcast). Earwolf. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- "Webby Awards". Retrieved April 23, 2016.