HowToBasic is an Australian YouTube comedy channel that is part of the Fullscreen network, with over 14 million subscribers. The creator of the videos does not speak or show his face, and remains anonymous. The channel primarily features bizarre and destructive visual gags disguised as how-to tutorials. The channel first gained popularity in 2013.
|Genre||Surreal comedy, black comedy, visual gags|
|Total views||2.36 billion+|
|Associated acts||Filthy Frank, Michael Stevens, iDubbbz|
|Updated 31 October 2019|
The channel was briefly suspended on two occasions: once in 2014 and again in late 2015 on presumed violations of YouTube's policy on misleading content. Soon after each time, the channel was restored, and suspension lifted.
Description and historyEdit
The channel intentionally misleads first-time viewers to believe it is a how-to channel, with video titles, thumbnails, descriptions, as well as the channel's general description, claiming its videos to be tutorials on different subjects, with a particular emphasis on cooking. The actual content of the videos, instead, show the unidentified man interacting in point of view with food and objects in many ways, mostly by throwing, destroying, and creating a large mess out of them. Some videos have employed additional gags, with guest actors and related footage appearing. Originally, the videos were genuine tutorials of very simple actions, such as "How to pick up an umbrella" or "How to pour Drinks".
A common theme in the videos is that a large assortment of chicken eggs are thrown and destroyed. Many of the videos include a running gag in which the man gives a thumbs-up (or sometimes the finger gun or the middle finger) in front of the camera while pointing the camera at the mess created, usually before the scene ends.
On 24 March 2018, HowToBasic released what appeared to be a face reveal video. However, the video turned out to be a parody and a compilation of popular YouTubers claiming themselves to be the creator of the channel, ultimately continuing the legitimate creator's anonymity. Over 80 individuals had a cameo in the video, including Michael Stevens of Vsauce, Markiplier, Casey Neistat, jacksfilms, iDubbbz, Boogie2988, maxmoefoe and Post Malone.
- Eordogh, Fruzsina (26 March 2018). "The Most Epic Face Reveal Video That Wasn't". Forbes. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Deml, Jessica (2 February 2018). "How To Basic Net Worth 2018". The Minneapolis Gazette Review. The Minneapolis Gazette Review. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Gutelle, Sam (27 June 2013). "YouTube Millionaires: How To Basic Breaks Out Of His Shell". Tubefilter. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Can you make money out of YouTube? You bet, just ask these Aussies". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Top 250 YouTubers Channels in Australia - Socialblade YouTube Stats - YouTube Statistics". socialblade.com.
- "UPDATED: Popular YouTube Channel HowToBasic Terminated Without Warning". MOARGeek. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- Gutelle, Sam (28 March 2018). "All-Star Cast Of YouTubers Helps Egg-Smasher HowToBasic Parody The Face Reveal Format". Tubefilter. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Katzowitz, Josh (26 March 2018). "The HowToBasic YouTube channel finally reveals its creator—sort of". The Daily Dot. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- "Perth teen's bizarre videos become internet hit". Nine News. Retrieved 9 November 2015.