Babonić(Redirected from House of Babonić)
The Babonić (Hungarian: Babonics or Vodicsai) was a noble family from medieval Slavonia whose most notable members were Bans (viceroys) of Slavonia and Croatia. Their rise began at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries when they received enormous estates from the Kings of Hungary. They were related to the Counts of Gorizia, the Venetian Morosini family and the Bosnian Kotromanić through intermarriages.
Kingdom of Croatia|
Kingdom of Hungary
|Founder||Stjepan I (nicknamed Babon)|
|Final ruler||Ivan I, Ban of Slavonia, Croatia and Dalmatia|
|Titles||Counts of Gorica and Vodica (Croatian: knezovi Gorički i Vodički), Ban of Primorje, Ban of Slavonia, Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia|
|Dissolution||14th century (the Blagaj branch perished in the 16th century)|
|Cadet branches||Counts of Blagaj (Croatian: knezovi Blagajski)|
Below is the complete family tree based on Hungarian historian Pál Engel's Medieval Hungarian Genealogy (2001) and Attila Zsoldos' archontology (2011):
- Stephen I
- Babonega I
- Stephen II (fl. 1243–1256), Ban of Primorje (banus maritimus) (1243–1249)
- Babonega II (fl. 1249–1256)
- Nicholas I (fl. 1278–1292)
- Stephen IV (fl. 1278–1316), Ban of Slavonia (1299; 1310–1316), Krupa branch
- John I (fl. 1284–1334), Ban of Slavonia (1317–1322), Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia (1322)
- a daughter (fl. 1328), married Peter II Kőszegi, the ancestor of the Herceg de Szekcső family
- Otto (fl. 1284–1300)
- Radoslav II (fl. 1284–1314)
- "Babonići (Babonegi, Babonezi, Babonezići, Babonezovići, Babonežići)". Croatian Biographical Lexicon by Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography (online edition). Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- "Babonići (Babonegi, Babonezi, Babonežići)". Croatian Encyclopedia by Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography (online edition). Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- Koszta 1994, p. 73.
- Curta 2006, p. 399.
- Fine 1994, p. 149.
- Engel: Genealógia (Genus Babonić)
- Curta, Florin (2006). Southeastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 500–1250. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-89452-4.
- Fine, John V. A (1994). The Late Medieval Balkans: A Critical Survey from the Late Twelfth Century to the Ottoman Conquest. The University of Michigan Press. ISBN 0-472-08260-4.
- Koszta, László (1994). "Babonić". In Kristó, Gyula; Engel, Pál; Makk, Ferenc. Korai magyar történeti lexikon (9–14. század) [Encyclopedia of the Early Hungarian History (9th–14th centuries)] (in Hungarian). Akadémiai Kiadó. p. 73. ISBN 963-05-6722-9.
|This article about Croatian history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hungarian history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|