Babonić family(Redirected from House of Babonić)
The Babonić (Hungarian: Babonics/Vodicsai) was a Croatian noble family from medieval Slavonia whose most notable members were Bans (viceroys) of Slavonia and Croatia. Their rise began at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries when they received enormous estates from the Kings of Hungary. They were related to the Counts of Gorizia, the Venetian Morosini family and the Bosnian Kotromanić dynasty through intermarriages.
|Country||Kingdom of Croatia (under Hungary)|
|Founder||Stjepan I (nicknamed Babon)|
|Final ruler||Ivan I|
|Titles||Count of Gorizia and Vodica|
Ban of Primorje
Ban of Slavonia
Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia
|Dissolution||14th century (the Blagaj branch perished in the 16th century)|
|Cadet branches||Counts of Blagaj|
Below is the complete family tree based on Hungarian historian Pál Engel's Medieval Hungarian Genealogy and Attila Zsoldos' Archontology.
- Stjepan I, nicknamed Babon
- Babonega I
- Stjepan II Babonić (fl. 1243–1256), Ban of Primorje (banus maritimus) between 1243 and 1249
- Babonega II Babonić (fl. 1249–1256)
- Nikola I Babonić (fl. 1278–1292)
- Stjepan IV Babonić (fl. 1278–1316), Ban of Slavonia (1299, 1310–1316) from the Krupa branch of the family.
- Ivan I Babonić (fl. 1284–1334), Ban of Slavonia between 1317 and 1322, Ban of Croatia and Dalmatia in 1322
- a daughter (fl. 1328), married Peter II Kőszegi, the ancestor of the Herceg de Szekcső family.
- Oton Babonić (fl. 1284–1300)
- Radoslav II Babonić (fl. 1284–1314)
- "Babonići (Babonegi, Babonezi, Babonezići, Babonezovići, Babonežići)". Croatian Biographical Lexicon by Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography (online edition). Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- "Babonići (Babonegi, Babonezi, Babonežići)". Croatian Encyclopedia by Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography (online edition). Retrieved 2017-10-28.
- Koszta 1994, p. 73.
- Curta 2006, p. 399.
- Fine 1994, p. 149.
- Engel: Genealógia (Genus Babonić)
- Curta, Florin (2006). Southeastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 500–1250. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-89452-4.
- Fine, John V. A (1994). The Late Medieval Balkans: A Critical Survey from the Late Twelfth Century to the Ottoman Conquest. The University of Michigan Press. ISBN 0-472-08260-4.
- Koszta, László (1994). "Babonić". In Kristó, Gyula; Engel, Pál; Makk, Ferenc. Korai magyar történeti lexikon (9–14. század) [Encyclopedia of the Early Hungarian History (9th–14th centuries)] (in Hungarian). Akadémiai Kiadó. p. 73. ISBN 963-05-6722-9.
|This article about Croatian history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hungarian history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|