House Party: Tonight's the Night
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
House Party: Tonight's the Night (also known as House Party 5 and House Party 5: Tonight's the Night) is a 2013 direct-to-video comedy film. It is the fifth installment of the House Party film series. It stars Tequan Richmond and Zac Goodspeed as two high school seniors who decide to throw a party while the parents are out of town. They are also seeking to get into the music industry. Rappers Kid 'n Play, who were the original stars of the first three films, make a special appearance in the film. The film is directed by Darin Scott.
|House Party: Tonight's the Night|
|Directed by||Darin Scott|
|Produced by||Doug McHenry|
|Written by||Don D. Scott|
|Based on||Characters created by|
|Cinematography||Thomas L. Callaway|
|Edited by||Tony Lombardo|
|Distributed by||Warner Premiere|
Chris is ready to head to college. He realizes he will leave his best friend, Dylan and Autumn Rose, the girl he's had a crush on since the second grade. To get over his sadness about leaving Dylan and Autumn, Chris throws one last party that turns into a hilarious disaster.
- Tequan Richmond as Chris Johnson
- Zac Goodspeed as Dylan
- Tristin Mays as Autumn Rose
- Gary Anthony Williams as Melvin Johnson
- Jacqui Achilleas as Mimi Johnson
- Rolonda Watts as Victoria
- Julie Hartley as Tracey
- Alex McGregor as Morgan
- Keith Powers as Quentin
- Kid and Play as Christopher "Kid" Robinson and Peter "Play" Martin
On August 30, 2012, Warner Bros. announced that they would make a fifth film in the series, and it would be released direct-to-video by Warner Bros.' Warner Premiere. The film was released on DVD July 23, 2013.
On August 30, 2012, Tambay A. Obenson, of Indiewire, reported that the Hudlin Brothers and Kid N' Play would not be in the film. The latter report proved to be false as Kid N' Play do appear in the film. On August 31, 2012, Stan Castle, of Atlanta Black Star, reported that Darin Scott, Don D. Scott, and Doug McHenry would direct, write, and produce the film respectively. Filming began on September 24, 2012. The movie was filmed in South Africa.
Nathaniel Stevens, of Digital Chumps, writes: "This movie isn't bad because of the content of the film. The first film by the same name was basically the same premise and was a huge hit back in 1990 (or at least it did very well for the type of budget it was shot on). Having said that, it's obvious that the formula works and has been done over and over again through many different movies. You lay down the main premise that there is going to be a huge party then you sprinkle it with plot points. Again, it's been done and has succeeded several times over. The main issue with House Party: Tonight's the Night is that all the plot points in the film are either shallow in terms of setup, or they just pop them in as time fillers. There's nothing particularly coherent about this film that screams 'solid'."
- Dangerous – Written by Melody Verdugo, Colton Fisher, & Jason Rabinowitz – Performed by Chanel Leon
- Night Will Never End – Written by Lauren Vogel and Eric Goldman – Performed by Lauryn Vyce
- Stevens, Nathaniel (July 25, 2013). "House Party: Tonight's the Night". Digital Chumps. United States. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- "House Party: Tonight's the Night". Turner Classic Movies. Retrieved April 10, 2016.
- Obenson, By Tambay A. (August 31, 2012). "5th 'House Party' Movie In The Works, Minus Hudlin Brothers, Kid N' Play". Indiewire. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- Castle, Stan (August 31, 2012). "Why Would 'House Party 5' Be In The Works?". Atlanta Black Star. United States. Retrieved May 6, 2016.