Hotel Transylvania (franchise)
The Hotel Transylvania franchise was created by comedy writer Todd Durham, and consists of two theatrical films and two short films produced by Sony Pictures Animation and distributed by Columbia Pictures, a TV series broadcast on Disney Channel, and several video games. A third theatrical film is set for a 2018 release.
|Created by||Todd Durham|
|Owner||Sony Pictures Animation|
|Films and television|
|Television series||Hotel Transylvania: The Series (2017-present)|
Comedy writer Todd Durham conceived and created a bible for a multimedia franchise called Hotel Transylvania, consisting of several films, television series, video games, toys, books, merchandising, hotel chain, and theme park. After authoring the book of the same name, he took the package unsolicited to Columbia Pictures and set it up at Sony Pictures Animation where he became the first screenwriter on the project.
Hotel Transylvania (2012)Edit
Hotel Transylvania was released on September 28, 2012, and is about Count Dracula and his daughter Mavis (played by Adam Sandler and Selena Gomez) respectively, at the hotel. They meet a human named Johnny (Andy Samberg), who Mavis instantly loves and eventually dates, despite Dracula's attempts to keep Johnny away from his daughter.
Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)Edit
Hotel Transylvania 2 was released on September 25, 2015, and is about Mavis and Johnny, who have a half-human/half-vampire son named Dennis. Mavis thinks Hotel Transylvania isn't the right place to raise Dennis and wants to raise him in California. When Dracula is disappointed that Dennis does not have any vampire abilities, he helps his friends make his grandson a monster.
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018)Edit
In November 2015, Sony Pictures Animation announced that Hotel Transylvania 3 will be released on September 21, 2018. This was later resolved during early 2017 when the new release date was pushed forward for July 13, 2018. Despite previously leaving the series to develop other projects, Genndy Tartakovsky will return as director for this installment. The third film will be about Dracula unwittingly falling for Ericka, a descendant of monster hunter Van Helsing, while on a cruise ship with his family. It will be the first film in the series not to be released in September as well as the first one not to feature the hotel as its setting.
A television series based on the film premiered on June 25, 2017. Developed and produced by Nelvana Limited, in partnership with Sony Pictures Animation, the prequel series focuses on the teenage years of Mavis and her friends at the Hotel Transylvania. Sony Pictures Television handles distribution in the United States, while Nelvana distributes the series outside the United States. It is airing on the Disney Channel worldwide.
Goodnight Mr. FootEdit
Goodnight Mr. Foot is a traditionally animated short film based on Hotel Transylvania, featuring Bigfoot from the film. Premiering in time for Halloween, on October 26, 2012, the short was shown exclusively in Regal Entertainment Group Cinemas, before the theatrical shows of Hotel Transylvania. As Sony Pictures Animation's first traditionally animated film, it was written and directed by Genndy Tartakovsky himself, who also animated the short with the help of Rough Draft Studios. Animated in the style of Bob Clampett, Tex Avery and Chuck Jones, Tartakovsky created the short in four weeks during the final production stages of the main film. Bigfoot (who had a non-speaking role in Hotel Transylvania) was voiced by Corey Burton while the Witch Maid was voiced by Rose Abdoo. Both voice actors provided additional voices in Hotel Transylvania.
Taking place before the events of Hotel Transylvania, the short stars Bigfoot, whose rest in Hotel Transylvania is being constantly disturbed by an overly enthusiastic witch maid.
Puppy! is a CG-animated fantasy comedy short film based on Hotel Transylvania, featuring Dennis (voiced by Asher Blinkoff) from Hotel Transylvania 2, with the additional voices of Selena Gomez, reprising her role as Mavis, Andy Samberg as Jonathan, and Adam Sandler as Dracula. The film is written and directed by veteran director of the Hotel Transylvania movies, Genndy Tartakovsky, and is shown in theaters alongside The Emoji Movie, beginning July 28, 2017. The film is set in the hotel, as Dennis is given a monster-sized pet, and the hotel learns to cope with it. The short is a sneak preview of the upcoming third film, Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation, which is scheduled for the summer of 2018.
Box office performanceEdit
|Film||Release date||Box office gross||Box office ranking||Budget||Reference|
|North America||Other territories||Worldwide||All time North America||All time worldwide|
|Hotel Transylvania||September 28, 2012||$148,313,048||$210,062,555||$358,375,603||#301||#270||$85 million|||
|Hotel Transylvania 2||September 25, 2015||$168,774,344||$294,000,000||$462,774,344||#237||#173||$80 million|||
|Hotel Transylvania||45% (141 reviews)||47% (32 reviews)|
|Hotel Transylvania 2||55% (101 reviews)||44% (24 reviews)|
- Note: A grey cell indicates character did not appear in that medium.
|Hotel Transylvania 2
|Hotel Transylvania 3:
|Hotel Transylvania: The Series
|Director||Genndy Tartakovsky||Robin Budd|
|Producer||Michelle Murdocca||Jane Crawford|
|Co-producer(s)||Lydia Bottegoni||Skye Lyons||Alex Burton||N/A|
|Executive producer(s)||Adam Sandler, Robert Smigel and Allen Covert||Adam Sandler, Allen Covert, Robert Smigel and Ben Waisbren||Adam Sandler||Rick Mischel, Scott Dyer and Irene Weibel|
Peter Baynham and Robert Smigel
Todd Durham, Dan Hageman & Kevin Hageman
|Robert Smigel and Adam Sandler
Based on Characters Created by:
|Genndy Tartakovsky and Michael McCullers
Based on Characters Created by:
|Composer(s)||Mark Mothersbaugh||Stephen Skratt and Asher Lenz|
A social game based on the film, titled Hotel Transylvania Social Game and made by Sony Pictures Interactive, was released on August 15, 2012. The game allows players to create their own Hotel Transylvania, where they must take care of the hotel's guests.
Another video game, titled Hotel Transylvania, developed by WayForward and published by GameMill Entertainment, was released on September 18, 2012, for Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS at retail. The game was also released in the Nintendo eShop in North America on November 15, 2012.
A mobile game, titled Hotel Transylvania Dash, developed by Sony Pictures Consumer Products Inc. and PlayFirst, was released to iTunes App Store on September 20, 2012. The game is a variation of Hotel Dash mobile game and features the film's art and characters.
A mobile digital storybook app, titled Hotel Transylvania BooClips Deluxe App, developed by Castle Builders and Sony Pictures Animation, was released to iTunes App Store, Nook Store, Google Play for the Android, iBookstore, Microsoft's Metro, and for the PC and Mac via www.BooClips.com, both in English and in Spanish, on September 20, 2012.
Theme park attractionsEdit
- "Columbia Pictures Press Kit - Hotel Transylvania" (PDF).
- "Production Notes - Hotel Transylvania" (PDF).
- "Sony Pictures Animation - Hotel Transylvania".
- "Official Website - Hotel Transylvania".
- Lesnick, Silas (November 2, 2015). "Hotel Transylvania 3 Opens Its Doors in 2018!". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Amid Amidi (June 20, 2016). "Genndy Tartakovsky Isn't Done With 'Hotel Transylvania,' Will Direct Third Film in Franchise". Cartoonbrew.com. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- Roberts, Sheila (September 25, 2015). "20 Things to Know About 'Hotel Transylvania 2′". Collider.com. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Moore, Debi (18 January 2017). "Synopsis and More Details on Hotel Transylvania 3 - Dread Central". Dread Central. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- Steinberg, Brian (July 14, 2015). "Nelvana, Sony Pictures Animation Ready 'Hotel Transylvania' For TV". Variety. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Pederson, Erik (June 20, 2016). "Sony Animation Dates 'Hotel Transylvania 3', 'Emojimovie' & More; 'Ghostbusters' TV Series Set". Deadline. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- Sony Pictures Animation (October 25, 2012). "No Trick, Big Halloween Treat from Sony Pictures Animation's HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA Director Genndy Tartakovsky". PR Newswire. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Beck, Jerry (October 25, 2012). "Sony Releases Genndy Tartakovsky's new short "Goodnight Mr. Foot"". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Alexander, Bryan (October 24, 2012). "New Bigfoot sighting in 'Hotel Transylvania' short film". USA Today. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Sony Pictures Animation Details Upcoming Slate, Including Julia Roberts' 'Smurfs' Role". January 18, 2017. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- "Sony Pictures Animation Unveils 'Spider-Man,' 'Hotel Transylvania 3,' 'Smurfs' And More". January 19, 2017. Retrieved January 20, 2017.
- "Hotel Transylvania". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 25, 2013.
- "Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Franchises - Hotel Transylvania". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
- "Hotel Transylvania (2012)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Hotel Transylvania". Metacritic. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Hotel Transylvania 2". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Hotel Transylvania 2 reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Sony Pictures Animation". Sony Pictures Animation. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Sony Pictures Interactive (August 15, 2012). "Sony Pictures Interactive Opens a Hotel Game on Facebook". PR Newswire. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "GAMEMILL ENTERTAINMENT GOES HOLLYWOOD WITH SONY PICTURES ANIMATION'S HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA; COMING SOON TO NINTENDO DS and NINTENDO 3DS". Gamasutra. July 23, 2012. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Hotel Transylvania NDS". Amazon. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- "Nintendo News: Nintendo Download Highlights New Digital Content for Nintendo Systems". Business Wire. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Zahed, Ramin (July 17, 2012). "Sony to Launch 'Hotel Transylvania' Mobile Game". Animation Magazine. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- Castle Builders (September 14, 2011). "Castle Builders (IL) Launches Hotel Transylvania BooClips Deluxe App With Interactive Storybook and Cookbook Based on Sony Pictures Animation's Family Comedy" (PDF) (Press release). BooClips.com. Retrieved November 3, 2015.
- MacDonald, Brady (October 23, 2015). "What to expect at Dubai's 'Hollywood in the desert' theme park". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 1, 2016.