Hospitality management studies
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hospitality management is the study of the hospitality industry. A degree in the subject may be awarded either by a University college dedicated to the studies of hospitality management or a business school with a relevant department. Degrees in hospitality management may also be referred to as hotel management, hotel and tourism management, or hotel administration. Degrees conferred in this academic field include BA, Bachelor of Business Administration, BS, BASc, MS, MBA, PhD and short term course. Hospitality management covers hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, amusement parks, destination marketing organizations, convention centers, country clubs and many more.
In the US, hospitality and tourism management curricula follow similar core subject applications to that of a business degree, but with a focus on tourism development and hospitality management. Core subject areas include accounting, administration, finance, information systems, marketing, human resource management, public relations, strategy, quantitative methods, and sectoral studies in the various areas of hospitality business. Some programs in India also include culinary training.
Rankings of degree-granting programsEdit
These top ten lists are specific to departments that specifically give degrees in the hospitality field itself. For the more general type of degree, see the list of business schools in the United States, and similar articles for other countries. For restaurant-related hospitality industry degrees in nutrition, see list of universities with accredited dietetic programs. For overall rankings of universities by various metrics, see college and university rankings.
Opinion surveys of employers in the hospitality industryEdit
In a broad industry survey of senior managers from luxury hotels in 2013, conducted a market survey of hospitality employers regarding their opinions of the top ten hospitality management schools. Laureate Hospitality Education, a division of Laureate Education Inc, commissioned TNS to conduct each of these surveys, and 2 schools out of 10 (numbers 6, 8) belong to Laureate Hospitality Education. The result appeared as follows:
- École hôtelière de Lausanne, Lausanne - Switzerland
- Hotelschool The Hague, The Hague/Amsterdam - Netherlands
- Cornell University, USA
- Glion Institute of Higher Education, Glion - Switzerland
- The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management, Dubai - United Arab Emirates
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management, Switzerland/Spain
- Oxford Brookes University, United Kingdom
- Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School, Leura - Australia
- Florida International University, Miami - Florida
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom - Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong SAR
- Cornell University, USA
- Michigan State University, USA
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, USA
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- University of Surrey, United Kingdom
- Virginia Tech, USA
- Purdue University, USA
- Oklahoma State University System, USA
- University of Central Florida, USA
- "What is Hospitality management?". http://www.wisegeek.org. External link in
- "Vegetarian Cooking Courses to be Introduced in Hotel Management Institutes | City of Jaipur". cityofjaipur.com. Retrieved 2019-10-07.
- "International Hospitality Management Schools: 2013 Worldwide Industry Ranking Survey" (PDF). http://www.glion.edu. October 2013. Retrieved 2014-08-2014. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help); External link in
- "A World Ranking of the Top 100 Hospitality and Tourism Programs". www.sagepublications.com. 2009-10-12. Retrieved 2014-08-25.