Hoover Dam (Ohio)
Hoover Dam, in Blendon Township, near Westerville, Ohio, dams the Big Walnut Creek to form the Hoover Memorial Reservoir. This reservoir is a major water source for the city of Columbus, Ohio. It holds 20.8 billion US gallons (79,000,000 m3) of water and has a surface area of 3,272 acres (13.24 km2), or about five square miles. Construction began during 1953 due to the increased water demand of post-war Columbus. The project was completed and dedicated in 1955 and the dam officially opened in 1958. It was named for two brothers, Charles P. Hoover and Clarence B. Hoover, to honor their careers with the City of Columbus Waterworks.
|Location||Blendon Township, near Westerville|
|Owner(s)||City of Columbus, Ohio|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment/Concrete gravity composite|
|Impounds||Big Walnut Creek|
|Height||94 ft (29 m)|
|Length||2,583 ft (787 m)|
|Elevation at crest||911 ft (278 m)|
|Total capacity||63,832 acre⋅ft (78,735,613 m3)|
|Surface area||3,272 acres (13 km2)|
|Maximum length||8 mi (13 km)|
|Maximum width||1 mi (2 km)|
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Quantity of concrete: approximately 180,000 cubic yards (140,000 m3)
- Quantity of earth fill: approximately 600,000 cubic yards (460,000 m3)
- Length of spillway: 680 feet (210 m)
- Length of dam: 2,583 feet (787 m)
- Maximum height of dam: approximately 94 feet (29 m) above stream bed
- Uncontrolled spillway elevation: 890 feet (270 m) mean sea level
- Top of dam elevation: 911 feet (278 m) mean sea level
- "Hoover Reservoir". Trails.com. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Water Sources". City of Columbus, Ohio. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Cross, Tom (2008). Fishing Ohio: An Angler's Guide to Over 200 Fishing Spots in the Buckeye State. Globe Pequot Press. p. 41. ISBN 978-0-7627-4326-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hoover Dam (Ohio).|
- Kayak Hoover Dam - a semi-informative treatise on the wonders of kayaking at the Central Ohio Reservoir, complete with pictures and interactive maps leading to boat ramps.
- GoFishOhio.com - information about fishing at Hoover Reservoir
- Ohio DNR fishing map of Hoover Reservoir
|This article about a building or structure in Ohio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a dam or floodgate in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|