Hooked on Classics
|Hooked on Classics|
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||Abbey Road Studios, London|
|Producer||Jeff Jarratt & Don Reedman|
|Royal Philharmonic Orchestra chronology|
|German/Austrian album cover|
The opening track was called "Hooked On Classics (Parts 1 and 2)". A unique arrangement of this track, simply called "Hooked on Classics", was released as a single in October 1981, and was the version predominately played by radio. With a listed time of 3'48", it contained the first five pieces of the album cut, skipping the next four (Beethoven's "Symphony no. 5, 1st movement" through "Symphony no. 9, 4th movement"), followed by the remaining pieces. Though not listed as such on the single's label or in the Performance Rights Organization's database, it is implied this portion is "Part 1". The B-side of the single, also called "Hooked On Classics" and lasting 2'13", begins with the fifth piece from "Part 1" (Sibelius' "Karelia Suite, intermezzo"), contains the missing four pieces found on the album cut, and concludes with the remaining pieces through "March of the Toreadors" which fades out, as opposed to the album cut and "Part 1"'s cold ending of the "1812 Overture". Presumably this is "Part 2". The label of the single incorrectly omits the "1812 Overture" from the list of pieces in the "Part 1" medley.
The single peaked at number 2 in the UK and later in the US at number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February 1982. It was the 56th biggest hit of that year. The song also reached number 10 on the Cash Box Top 100.
In Germany and Austria, the album was released titled "Classic Disco" and reached number one in both countries.
Chart performance "Hooked On Classics (Part 1)"Edit
Album track listingEdit
- Hooked On Classics (Parts 1 & 2) - 5:06
- Piano Concerto No. 1 in B flat Minor Op 23 1st Movement / Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Flight of the Bumblebee / Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- Symphony no. 40 in G Minor 1st Movement / Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Rhapsody in Blue / George Gershwin
- Karelia Suite Op 11- Intermezzo/ Jean Sibelius
- Symphony no. 5 in C Minor Op 67 1st Movement / Ludwig van Beethoven
- Toccata in D Minor / J.S. Bach
- Serenade no. 13 in G major - 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' 1st Movement / Mozart
- Symphony no. 9 in D Minor Op 125 4th Movement / Beethoven
- Overture to William Tell / Giacchino Rossini
- Voi che sapete (aria), Le nozze di Figaro / Mozart
- Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture- Love Theme / Tchaikovsky
- Trumpet Voluntary / Jeremiah Clarke (the listed title is a common misconception; the correct title is "Prince of Denmark's March")
- Messiah Hallelujah Chorus / George Frederic Handel
- Piano Concerto in A Minor Op 16 1st Movement / Edvard Grieg
- March of the Toreadors - Carmen / Georges Bizet
- 1812 Overture /Tchaikovsky
- Hooked on Romance - 6:42
- Air on the G String / J.S. Bach
- Ave Maria / Franz Schubert
- Liebesträume / Liszt
- Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125 ("Choral") 3rd movement Adagio molto e cantabile / Beethoven
- Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini Op 43 Variation 18 Andante cantabile (D flat Major) / Sergei Rachmaninov
- Piano Sonata no. 14 in C sharp Minor Op 27/2 'Moonlight' 1st movement Adagio sostenuto / Beethoven
- Piano Sonata no. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 'Pathetique' 2nd movement Adagio cantabile / Beethoven
- Clarinet Concerto in A Major K. 622 2nd movement Adagio / Mozart
- Xerxes "Ombra mai fu" (Largo) / Handel
- Hooked On Classics (Part 3) - 6:02
- Wedding March (A Midsummer Night’s Dream) / Felix Mendelssohn
- Radetzky March Op 228 / Johann Strauss I
- Toccata Op 42/5 / Charles Marie Widor
- Alla Hornpipe from 'Wassermusik' / Handel
- Humoresque Op 101/7 / Antonin Dvořák
- Lullaby / Johannes Brahms
- Arrival of the Queen of Sheba / Handel
- Promenade (Pictures At An Exhibition) / Modest Mussorgsky
- In the Hall of the Mountain King - Grieg
- Caprice no. 24 / Niccolo Paganini
- Ride of the Valkyries / Richard Wagner
- Fingal's Cave / Mendelssohn
- Military March / Schubert
- Polonaise in A major / Frederic Chopin
- Symphony no. 4 in A Major - 'Italian' 1st movement / Mendelssohn
- Overture to the Light Cavalry / Franz von Suppé
- Farandole / Bizet
- Largo (2nd Movement from Symphony No. 9 / Dvořák
- Lohengrin, Prelude to Act 3 / Wagner
- Hooked On Bach - 5:59
- Ave Maria/Charles Francis Gounod)
- Suite no. 2 in B Minor - 'Badinerie'
- Brandenburg Concerto no. 3 in G Major 1st movement
- Brandenburg Concerto no. 2 in F Major 1st movement
- Erkenne Mich Mein Hüter
- Suite no. 2 in B minor - Bourée 2
- Suite no. 2 in B minor - Bourée 1
- Suite no. 3 in D major - Gavotte
- French Suite no. 5 in G major - Gavotte
- Wachet auf Ruft uns die Stimme
- Ave Maria (Bach/Gounod)
- Hooked On Tchaikovsky - 5:29
- Capriccio Italien Op 45
- Swan Lake
- Dance of the Reed Flutes (from The Nutcracker)
- Romeo & Juliet Fantasy Overture
- Symphony no. 6 in B Minor Op 74 1st Movement
- Trepak (Russian Dance from the Nutcracker)
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (from The Nutcracker)
- March (from The Nutcracker)
- Chinese Dance (from The Nutcracker)
- Miniature Overture (from The Nutcracker)
- Piano Concerto no. 1 in B flat Minor Op 23 1st Movement
- Capriccio Italien
- Hooked On A Song - 5:11
- Votre Toast (Carmen) / Bizet
- Funiculì, Funiculà / Luigi Denza
- Tarantella Napoletana / Rossini
- Polovtsian Dances / Alexander Borodin
- Dance of the Hours / Amalicare Ponchielli
- Habanera / Bizet
- Neapolitan Serenade (O sole mio) / Eduardo di Capua
- "Un bel di vedremo" from Madama Butterfly / Giacomo Puccini
- Vedi! Le Fosche / Giuseppe Verdi
- Votre Toast / Bizet
- Hooked On Mozart - 4:09
- Piano Sonata No. 11 K.331 3m Rondo Alla Turca
- Piano Sonata No. 16 in C Major 'Sonata semplice' 1m Allegro (1st Theme)
- Serenade No. 13 for strings in G Major 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik', K. 525 2m Romanze-Andante
- Piano Concerto No. 21 in C Major, K. 467 2m Andante
- Piano Sonata No. 16 in C Major 'Sonata semplice' 1m Allegro (2nd Theme)
- Divertimento for two horns and string quartet, 'Ein musikalischer Spaß' (A Musical Joke) K. 522 4m Presto
- The Marriage of Figaro 'Le nozze di Figaro' K. 492 Aria: Non più andrai
- The Marriage of Figaro 'Le nozze di Figaro' K. 492 Overture
- Serenade No. 13 for strings in G Major 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik', K. 525 4m Allegro
- The Magic Flute 'Die Zauberflöte' K. 620 Overture
- Horn Concerto No. 4 in E-flat Major, K. 49 3m Rondo
- Symphony No. 41 in C Major, K. 551 'Jupiter 1m Allegro vivace
- Hooked On Mendelssohn 4:25
- Violin Concerto in E Minor Op 64 3rd movement *Second Segment) Allegro molto vivace
- Octet in E flat Major Op 20, Scherzo
- Violin Concerto in E Minor Op 64 3rd movement *Second Segment) Allegro molto vivace - Reprise
- Hooked On A Can-Can - 4:56
- Can-Can / Jacques Offenbach
- Unter Donner und Blitz Op 324 / Johann Strauss II
- Hungarian Dance No. 5 / Brahms
- Tritsch Tratsch Polka Op 214 / Johann Strauss II
- La Vie Parisienne / Offenbach
- Gallop- Dance of the Hours / Ponchielli
- Czardas / Vittorio Monti
- La Vie Parisienne / Offenbach
- Overture To Dichter und Bauer / Suppé
- Can-Can (Reprise) / Offenbach
- "The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – Hooked On Classics, Vinyl 7" single USA release". Discogs. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- "Music: Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.com. 1982-02-06. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "1982". Longbored Surfer. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada" (PDF). Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- "Österreichische Hitparade" (in German). austriancharts.cat. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). Sydney: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Offizielle Deutsche Charts" (in German). offiziellecharts.de. Retrieved 2018-07-07.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1981-12-06. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- [Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002]
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 208.
- David Kent's "Australian Chart Book 1970-1992" Archived 2016-03-05 at Archive.today
- Scaping, Peter, ed. (1982). "The Top 200 Singles: January–December 1981". BPI Year Book 1982 (5th ed.). London, England: The British Phonographic Industry Ltd. pp. 46–49. ISBN 0-906154-03-0.
- Jones, Alan; Lazell, Barry; Rees, Dafydd (1982). "The Top 200 Singles (UK)". Chart File 1982. London, England: Virgin Books. pp. 74–77. ISBN 0-907080-49-9.
- Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 26, 1981
- "Top 100 Hits of 1981/Top 100 Songs of 1981". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.