Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office
The Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office of the State Council is an administrative agency of the State Council of the People's Republic of China responsible for promoting cooperation and coordination of political, economic and cultural ties between Mainland China and the Chinese Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau.
|Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office of the State Council|
|Office of the Central Coordination Group for Hong Kong and Macau Affairs|
|Commonly abbreviated as|
|Literal meaning||Hong Kong & Macau Office|
The agency was established in 1978, and has been headed by the Director of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office. There are deputy directors which assist the director in running the office.
The agency answers to the State Council of the People's Republic of China as well as the Central Coordination Group for Hong Kong and Macau Affairs of the Communist Party of China.
List of DirectorsEdit
- Department of Secretary and Administration
- Department of General Affairs
- Department of Policy and Research
- Department of Liaison
- Department of Exchange and Cooperation
- Department of Law
- Institutional Party Committee (Department of Personnel)
The office's Deputy Director, from December 2018, is Deng Zhonghua, a lawyer, born 1961. He replaced Feng Wei, born September 1957 and seen by the Hong Kong democratic camp as someone they could talk with. His retirement was delayed by a year so that he could handle Beijing's concerns about 'independence' advocates in Hong Kong.
- Deputy director of Beijing’s Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office steps down, a year late, SCMP, 29 December 2018
- Top Beijing official delays retirement to help rein in pro-independence calls in Hong Kong, SCMP, 04 October, 2018
- Website of the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office (in Chinese)