Honey Boy (film)
Honey Boy is a 2019 American drama film, directed by Alma Har'el, from a screenplay by Shia LaBeouf, based on his childhood and his relationship with his father. It stars LaBeouf, Noah Jupe, and Lucas Hedges.
|Directed by||Alma Har'el|
|Written by||Shia LaBeouf|
|Music by||Alex Somers|
|Distributed by||Amazon Studios|
Shia LaBeouf based the script on his own life, with his character being based on his own father, and the title comes from his childhood nickname. LaBeouf wrote the script as a part of his rehabilitation program.
In March 2018, it was announced that Lucas Hedges and LaBeouf had joined the cast of the film, with Alma Har'el directing from a screenplay written by LaBeouf. Brian Kavanaugh-Jones, Daniela Taplin Lundberg, Christopher Leggett will produce the film under their Automatik, Stay Gold Features and Delirio Films banners, respectively. Fred Berger will serve as an executive producer. LaBeouf had shared the screenplay with Har'el, a friend and creative collaborator, who decided that she wanted to direct it. In April 2018, Noah Jupe joined the cast of the film. In May 2018, Clifton Collins Jr., Maika Monroe, Natasha Lyonne, Martin Starr, Byron Bowers and Laura San Giacomo joined the cast of the film. In June 2018, it was announced FKA Twigs had joined the cast of the film.
Asked about how making a film based on his script affected his rehab, LaBeouf said:
"It is strange to fetishize your pain and make a product out of it and feel guilty about that. It felt very selfish. This whole thing felt very selfish. I never went into this thinking, 'Oh, I am going to fucking help people.' That wasn't my goal. I was falling apart."
It had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2019. Shortly after, Amazon Studios acquired distribution rights to the film. It is scheduled to be released on November 8, 2019.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 100% based on 39 reviews, and an average rating of 7.81/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Honey Boy serves as an act of cinematic therapy for its screenwriter and subject -- one whose unique perspective should strike a chord in audiences from all backgrounds." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score 64 out of 100, based on 12 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Honey Boy". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "First pictures emerge of Shia LaBeouf playing his own father in Shia LaBeouf biopic".
- "Here's Shia LaBeouf playing his own father in new biopic Honey Boy". 1 June 2018.
- Shia LaBeouf on Writing Biopic 'Honey Boy': "I Was Falling Apart"
- Busch, Anita (March 16, 2018). "Shia LaBeouf, Lucas Hedges To Star In 'Honey Boy'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (April 17, 2018). "'A Quiet Place' Actor Noah Jupe to Play Young Shia LaBeouf in 'Honey Boy'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (May 10, 2018). "'Westworld's Clifton Collins Jr. Joins Lucas Hedges & Shia LaBeouf In 'Honey Boy'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (May 24, 2018). "Maika Monroe Joins Shia LaBeouf's 'Honey Boy'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Nazin, Hafeezah (June 14, 2018). "FKA Twigs Is Reportedly Starring In Shia LaBeouf's New Film". Nylon. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 24, 2018). "Maika Monroe Joins Shia LaBeouf's Drama 'Honey Boy'". Variety. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (November 28, 2018). "Sundance Film Festival Unveils 2019 Features Lineup". Variety. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Siegel, Tatiana (February 2, 2019). "Sundance: Shia LaBeouf's 'Honey Boy' Lands at Amazon (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 9, 2019). "Shia LaBeouf's 'Honey Boy' To Sweeten Up Awards Season". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- "Honey Boy (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 27, 2019.
- "Honey Boy Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- A.A., Dowd (January 27, 2019). "Zac Efron Plays Ted Bundy, Shia LaBeouf Plays His Dad. What a Day for Former Teen Stars". The A.V. Club. Retrieved February 11, 2019.