Homeplus (Korean: 홈플러스) is a Korean discount store retail chain running about 140 branches with 25,000 employees throughout South Korea. Homeplus is the second largest retailer in South Korea, behind Shinsegae Group's e-mart chain.
Number of locations
(as of the end of 2017)
Homeplus operates its hypermarkets, super market chain 'Homeplus Express', convenience store '365 Plus' and online shopping service. Homeplus stores offer everything from groceries to clothes and appliances.
Starting in 1997 with distribution business department of Samsung C&T Corporation, Homeplus opened its first hypermarket in Daegu and its second branch in West Busan. In 1999, a joint venture between Samsung C&T and worldwide British retail chain Tesco, ‘SamsungTesco’ was launched, and it has grown into the second largest retailer in Korea by taking over 33 Homever (ex-Carrefour) stores since 2008. On March 1, 2011, due to the expiration of the mutual use contract with the Samsung Group, the corporate name was changed from Samsung Tesco Co., Ltd. to Homeplus Co., Ltd. And on November 22, 2011, the first store of Homeplus 365, a convenience store brand, was opened. In September 2015 the company was sold to MBK Partners, a South Korean buyout firm, which partnered with the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and Singapore's Temasek Holdings in a transaction worth £4.2 billion. It is headquartered in Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea in 2015, and operates a total of 107 hypermarkets and 828 expresses nationwide.
Homever (홈에버) was a brand name of a hypermarket of E.Land Retail Limited, which is part of the E.Land Group. E.Land Group, the largest operators specializing in fashion and retail business, production and retail corporations in Korea acquired Korean operations of Carrefour in September 2006 to expand the Group's retail presence in Korea. After the acquisition, Carrefour Korea was renamed to Homever. Homever operated 36 hypermarkets with a combined sales area of approximately 112,366 pyung which translates to 371,458 sqm.
- "홈플러스 공식 홈페이지". Homeplus. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Gómez-Suárez, M.; Martínez-Ruiz, M.P. (2016). Handbook of Research on Strategic Retailing of Private Label Products in a Recovering Economy. Advances in Marketing, Customer Relationship Management, and E-Services. IGI Global. p. 115. ISBN 978-1-5225-0221-0. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "홈플러스 온라인 쇼핑몰". August 28, 2018.
- "[할인점의 진화 上] '3세대 할인점' 체험형으로 '검지족' 공략". Newsprime. August 29, 2018.
- 파이낸셜뉴스 (2011-02-27). "홈플러스 3월부터 '삼성'과 결별". 파이낸셜뉴스 (in Korean). Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- "홈플러스, 편의점 사업 진출..중소상인 반발(종합)". 다음뉴스 (in Korean). Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- "Tesco sells South Korea stores for £4bn". BBC News. September 7, 2015. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
- "Tesco starts sell-off ahead of results with Asian disposal". BBC News. 12 April 2016. Retrieved 12 April 2016.
- "Homeplus, doopedia". doopedia.
- "Tesco buys South Korean Homever chain for £950m | The Telegraph". telegraph.co.uk. 2008-05-15. Retrieved 2013-01-29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Homeplus.|