The HomePod is a smart speaker developed by Apple Inc. It was first announced on June 5, 2017, at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. The HomePod was originally scheduled for release in December 2017, but was later delayed to early 2018, It will initially be released in Australia, the UK and the US, and will be available in two colors: white and Space Gray.
A white HomePod on display at WWDC 2017
|System-on-chip used||Apple A8|
|Memory||1 GB RAM|
|Display||272 x 340 LED matrix|
|Connectivity||802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO|
|Dimensions||6.8 in × 5.6 in (170 mm × 140 mm)|
|Weight||5.5 lb (2.5 kg)|
A touchscreen atop the device displays a dynamic waveform, similar to the one displayed on other Apple devices when Siri is activated. It also allows the user to adjust playback volume and to play and pause playback.
It features seven tweeters in its base and a four-inch woofer towards the top. Six microphones around HomePod’s centre gauge the acoustics of the room; software directs parts of the mix to various speakers for improved sound quality and separation.
In late August 2017, an official Apple firmware file was accidentally released for (AudioAccessory1,1), which was later revealed by Twitter users to be firmware for the HomePod. The HomePod was shown to have similar specifications to the iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 has 1 GB of RAM and a 1334×750 screen resolution, while the HomePod also has 1 GB of RAM but a 272x340 screen resolution. The HomePod runs a variant of iOS as its operating system. The iOS SpringBoard is called SoundBoard in the HomePod firmware.
- "HomePod will launch in Q4 this year in limited quantity". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (2017-06-05). "Apple announces HomePod speaker to take on Sonos". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- "Meet Apple's Echo Rival, Homepod". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "Apple's HomePod delayed until next year". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "Apple delays HomePod smart speaker until early 2018". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "Apple delays HomePod to 2018". CNET. Retrieved 2017-11-17.
- "Everything about HomePod". iMore. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "HomePod main page". Apple.com.
- "iPhone Screen Resolutions". www.iphoneresolution.com. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- iClarified (2017-07-31). "HomePod Has 272x340 Resolution 'Screen', 1GB of RAM". iClarified. Retrieved 2017-08-16.
- Ong, Thuy (2017-07-31). "HomePod firmware reveals more secrets of Apple's smart speaker". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- Hall, Zac (2017-07-28). "HomePod firmware reveals new interaction details, Accessibility support, more". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 2017-08-17.