Homburg (German pronunciation: [ˈhɔmbʊʁk], French: Hombourg) is a town in Saarland, Germany and the administrative seat of the county of Saarpfalz (Saar-Palatinate). With a population of approx. 41,822 inhabitants (June 30th 2017), it is the third largest town in Saarland. The medical department of the University of Saarland is situated here. The city is also home to the Karlsberg beer brewery. Major employers include Michelin and Robert Bosch GmbH.
Saint Michael Church
|• Mayor||Rüdiger Schneidewind (SPD)|
|• Total||82.65 km2 (31.91 sq mi)|
|Elevation||233 m (764 ft)|
|• Density||510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||06841, 06848 (Einöd and Wörschweiler)|
Homburg is located in the northern part of the Saarpfalz, bordering Rhineland-Palatinate and about 20 km away from the French border. It is 16 km from Neunkirchen and 36 km from Saarbrücken. The villages Beeden, Schwarzenbach, Wörschweiler, Einöd and Ingweiler are situated in or on the Blies valley.
The district Einöd has three municipal factions: Einöd, Ingweiler and Schwarzenacker. The district Jägersburg is composed of the fractions Jägersburg, Altbreitenfelderhof and Websweiler. The discrict Erbach has three fractions, erbach, Lappentascherhof, and Johannishof.
Populations (December 1st 2017):
|Lappentascher Hof||Homburg Center||191|
County of Homburg 12th century–1449
County of Nassau-Saarbrücken 1449–1680
Kingdom of France 1680–1697
County of Nassau-Saarbrücken 1697–1755
Palatine Zweibrücken 1755–1793
French Republic 1793–1804
French Empire 1804–1815
Kingdom of Bavaria 1816–1871
German Empire 1871–1918
Territory of the Saar Basin 1920–1935
Nazi Germany 1935–1945
Saar Protectorate 1947–1956
West Germany 1957–1990
Since the administration reform 1974 has Homburg a Lord Mayor, before a Mayor.
Since October 1st 2014 is Rüdiger Schneidewind (SPD) Lord Mayor of Homburg.
Homburg (Saar) Hauptbahnhof is the main railway station in the town, served by long-distance and regional trains. By road transport, the town is served by the motorways A6 (exit Homburg) and A8 (exits Limbach and Einöd).
- David Bardens (born 1984, physician)
- Timo Bernhard (born 1981, sports car racer)
- Stefan Eck (born 1956), politician (former Tierschutzpartei, currently independent)
- Horst Ehrmantraut (born 1955, former football player)
- Markus Heitz (born 1971, fantasy author)
- Michael Jakosits (born 1970, olympic sports shooter)
- Laura Steinbach (born 1985, handball player)
- Andreas Walzer (born 1970, former cyclist)
- "Saarland.de – Amtliche Einwohnerzahlen Stand 31.12.2018" (PDF). Statistisches Amt des Saarlandes (in German). June 2019.
- Data and Facts, Population of villages on www.homburg.de (in German)
- Daten und Fakten, Bevölkerungsentwicklung auf www.homburg.de (in German)
- Verzeichnis der Bürgermeister und Oberbürgermeister von Homburg ab 1798 auf dem Webangebot der Stadt Homburg (in German)