Hollywood Fringe Festival
The Hollywood Fringe Festival is an annual fringe theatre festival in Hollywood, California. Most indoor venues for the festival are in and around Hollywood Theatre Row, a 1.4-mile (2.3 km) stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles.
|Hollywood Fringe Festival|
|Begins||June 10, 2021|
|Ends||June 27, 2021|
|Location(s)||Hollywood Theatre Row and vicinity|
|Participants||233 companies (2012)|
|Leader||Ben Hill (festival director)|
Founder Ben Hill started trying to organize a local fringe festival not long after he moved to Los Angeles from Iowa City in 2007. He and other organizers launched the first Hollywood Fringe Festival in the summer of 2010. That year, there were 130 shows in the festival.
The shows are not curated (selected based on merit). To perform, one must pay a registration fee and be ready with a concept and the means to produce it. The festival organizers market the event and provide some support, but the theatre companies must find their own venues and market their own shows.
Approximately 56,000 tickets sold were sold for the 2016 festival, which drew an estimated $447,000 in revenue. All revenue from ticket sales is paid to the artists and venues.
- "Hollywood Fringe Festival". United States Association of Fringe Festivals. Minnesota Fringe Festival. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Ben Hill". Hollywood Fringe Festival. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Barklie, Corbett (June 7, 2013). "A New Institution: Hollywood Fringe Festival". KCET. KCETLink Media Group. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Riefe, Jordan (June 19, 2014). "Hollywood Fringe Festival to Present Nearly 300 Theater Shows". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- McNulty, Charles (June 22, 2013). "Hollywood Fringe Festival, a theater party with room to grow". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 26, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Adamek, Pauline (January 14, 2014). "Hollywood Fringe Festival". Time Out Los Angeles. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Barrera, Sandra (June 10, 2014). "Hollywood Fringe Festival will showcase nearly 300 shows, boast largest celebration of performing arts". Los Angeles Daily News. Digital First Media. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Hollywood Fringe Sets 2017 Festival Dates, Seeks Submissions". BroadwayWorld. Wisdom Digital Media. November 10, 2016. Retrieved June 10, 2017.