The Hmar language belongs to the Kukish branch of the Sino-Tibetan family of languages. The speakers of the language are also known as Hmar. According to the official 2011 Census of India, there are 30,000 Hmar speakers in Assam, 48,000 in Manipur,1,000 in Meghalaya, 29,000 in Mizoram although Majority of the Hmars in Mizoram speak Duhlian.
|Region||Mizoram, Manipur, Assam, Tripura, and Meghalaya|
|110,000 (2011 census)|
Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura and Meghalaya
|Hmar language test of Wikipedia at Wikimedia Incubator|
Hmar is a recognised language in the School curriculum of Assam, Manipur and Mizoram, and also recently recognised as one of the Modern Indian Languages (MIL) at Manipur University. Board of Secondary Education, Assam has also included Hmar as an MIL in its matriculation syllabus from 2005. Both Manipur University and Assam University, Silchar has also permitted HMAR LANGUAGE to be studied as Modern Indian Language in the Graduation level.
Hmar is spoken in the following locations (Ethnologue).
- Assam: Dima Hasao district (formerly North Cachar district) and Cachar district
- Southern Manipur: Tipaimukh, Churachandpur district (35 villages)
- Mizoram: Aizawl district
Although Hmar speakers are scattered over a vast area in Mizoram, Manipur, Meghalaya, Tripura, Chittagong Hill tracts, and NC Hills and Cachar districts of Assam state, India, there doesn't appear to be any dialectal distinction. There is no homogeneous settlement of Hmar speakers alone. In Manipur, Hmar exhibits partial mutual intelligibility with the other Kukish dialects of the area including Thadou, Paite, Vaiphei, Simte, Kom and Gangte languages.
- Distribution of the 100 non-scheduled languages
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Hmar". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Singh, Chungkham Yashawanta (1995). "The linguistic situation in Manipur" (PDF). Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area. 18 (1): 129–134. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- Learn Hmar Language: Lesson 1 Hmar–English
- Learn Hmar language: Lesson 2 Hmar–English
- Learn Hmar language: Lesson 3 Hmar–English
- Learn Hmar language: Lesson 4 Hmar–English
- Learn Hmar language: Lesson 5 Hmar–English
- Learn Hmar language: Avoiding Common Errors In Hmar
- Learn Hmar language: Tlumte Thlira Thlir In Hmar
- Learn Hmar language: Thumal Lamnon In Hmar
- VIRTHL-Ushering Change: News & Info House of the Hmars Visit Site
- Hmar Rûnpui : Hmar Social Networking Visit Site
- Manipur Online The Unresolved Issues of the Hmar
- Sinlung News 
|This Sino-Tibetan languages-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|