History of the Halifax Regional Municipality
The Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) was formed in 1996 by an amalgamation of the former City of Halifax, the City of Dartmouth, the Town of Bedford, and the separate Halifax County Municipality. Hence, the History of the Halifax Regional Municipality encompasses the following:
- History of Halifax (former city) (1749–1996)
- History of Bedford, Nova Scotia (1749-1996)
- Began with the construction of a road and Fort Sackville in 1749. Became a town in 1980 and was incorporated into HRM in 1996.
- History of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (1750–1996)
- Began with the construction of a road and a fort in 1750.
- Grenier, John. The Far Reaches of Empire. War in Nova Scotia, 1710-1760. Norman: U of Oklahoma P, 2008; Thomas Beamish Akins. History of Halifax, Brookhouse Press. 1895. (2002 edition). p 7