His Hand in Mine
His Hand in Mine is the fifth studio album by American singer and musician Elvis Presley, released on RCA Victor Records in mono and stereo, LPM/LSP 2328, in November 1960. It was the first of three gospel music albums that Presley would issue during his lifetime. Recording sessions took place on October 30 and 31, 1960, at RCA Studio B in Nashville, Tennessee. It peaked at #13 on the Top Pop Albums chart. It was certified Gold on April 9, 1969 and Platinum on March 27, 1992 by the Recording Industry Association of America.
|His Hand in Mine|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 23, 1960|
|Recorded||October 30 and 31, 1960|
|Elvis Presley chronology|
|Christgau's Record Guide||C|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Presley had a lifelong, fundamental love of church music, and often used it to rehearse and loosen up before concerts and at the beginning of recording sessions. Presley had earlier devoted an extended play single, Peace in the Valley, to his love for gospel songs, and was eager to record a full album of this music. This fit well with the plans of Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, to steer his client into a family-friendly image as he switched Presley's career concentration toward movie stardom in Hollywood.
All the selections for His Hand In Mine were completed in one fourteen-hour session. The songs "Surrender" and "Crying in the Chapel" were recorded during the session, but withheld for issue as singles. "Surrender" would be his first single of 1961 and top the chart, but "Crying in the Chapel" would wait until April 1965 to be issued, going to #3 on the chart. The song "In My Father's House" was arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley which was published by Elvis Presley Music.
In 1976, RCA reissued the album in its lower priced "Pure Gold" series, with new cover art under a new catalogue number, ANL1-1319. This reissue contains the same tracks as the original release. RCA first reissued the original 12 track album on compact disc in 1990, utilizing the revised cover art from the "Pure Gold" series LP reissue.
On March 11, 2008, RCA issued a remastered version of this album on CD, adding as bonus tracks the four songs which had originally appeared on that 1957 EP single Peace in the Valley, its contents later incorporated into Elvis' Christmas Album. The Presley fan-club label Follow That Dream issued an extended two-disc version the same year.
|1.||"His Hand in Mine"||Mosie Lister||October 30, 1960||3:15|
|2.||"I'm Gonna Walk Dem Golden Stairs"||Cully Holt||October 31, 1960||1:50|
|3.||"In My Father's House"||Aileene Hanks (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley)||October 31, 1960||2:03|
|4.||"Milky White Way"||Landers Coleman (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley)||October 30, 1960||2:12|
|5.||"Known Only to Him"||Stuart Hamblen||October 31, 1960||2:07|
|6.||"I Believe in the Man in the Sky"||Richard Howard||October 30, 1960||2:11|
|1.||"Joshua Fit the Battle"||Traditional (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley)||October 31, 1960||2:39|
|2.||"Jesus Knows What I Need"||Mosie Lister||October 30, 1960||2:12|
|3.||"Swing Down Sweet Chariot"||Traditional (Arranged and adapted by Elvis Presley)||October 31, 1960||2:32|
|4.||"Mansion Over the Hilltop"||Ira Stanphill||October 31, 1960||2:55|
|5.||"If We Never Meet Again"||Albert E. Brumley||October 31, 1960||1:58|
|6.||"Working on the Building"||Winifred O. Hoyle, Lillian Bowles||October 31, 1960||1:52|
2008 reissue bonus tracksEdit
|13.||"(There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)"||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:22|
|14.||"It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)"||Stuart Hamblen||January 19, 1957||3:53|
|15.||"I Believe"||Ervin Drake, Irvin Graham, Jimmy Shirl, Al Stillman||January 12, 1957||2:05|
|16.||"Take My Hand, Precious Lord"||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 13, 1957||3:16|
2008 Follow That Dream reissueEdit
- AllMusic review
- Christgau, Robert (1981). "Consumer Guide '70s: P". Christgau's Record Guide: Rock Albums of the Seventies. Ticknor & Fields. ISBN 089919026X. Retrieved March 10, 2019 – via robertchristgau.com.
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 891. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Elvis Presley: Album Guide". rollingstone.com. Archived from the original on September 18, 2013. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- Simpson, Paul (2004). The Rough Guide to Elvis. London: Rough Guides. p. 122. ISBN 1-84353-417-7.
- "Searchable database". RIAA. Recording Industry Association of America. 2013. Retrieved May 13, 2013. Note: Enter search for "His Hand in Mine"
- Jorgensen, Ernst. Elvis Presley A Life in Music: The Complete Recording Sessions. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1998; p. 75, 328.
- Jorgensen, p. 132-3.
- Carr, Roy, and Farren, Mick. Elvis the Illustrated Record. London: Harmony Books, 1982; pp. 97, 106–107.
- "His Hand in Mine". The Elvis Presley Record Research Database. 2009-2013 elvisrecords.us. 2013. Retrieved May 13, 2013.