His Eye Is on the Sparrow
"His Eye Is on the Sparrow" is a gospel hymn written in 1905 by lyricist Civilla D. Martin and composer Charles H. Gabriel. It is most associated with actress-singer Ethel Waters who used the title for her autobiography. Mahalia Jackson's recording of the song was honored with the Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 2010.
|"His Eye is on the Sparrow"|
|Songwriter(s)||Civilla D. Martin|
|Composer(s)||Charles H. Gabriel|
Sometimes it was sung with the slightly altered title "His Eye is on the Tiny Bird" and this version was recorded by actress Violet Carson in 1972.
The theme of the song is inspired by the words of David in the Psalms and Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew in the Bible: "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye (Psalm 32:8). "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?" (Matthew 6:26) and "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Matthew 10:29–31).
Civilla Martin, who wrote the lyrics, said of her inspiration to write the song based on the scriptures:
Early in the spring of 1905, my husband and I were sojourning in Elmira, New York. We contracted a deep friendship for a couple by the name of Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle—true saints of God. Mrs. Doolittle had been bedridden for nigh twenty years. Her husband was an incurable cripple who had to propel himself to and from his business in a wheel chair. Despite their afflictions, they lived happy Christian lives, bringing inspiration and comfort to all who knew them. One day while we were visiting with the Doolittles, my husband commented on their bright hopefulness and asked them for the secret of it. Mrs. Doolittle's reply was simple: "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me." The beauty of this simple expression of boundless faith gripped the hearts and fired the imagination of Dr. Martin and me. The hymn "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was the outcome of that experience.
Later published arrangementsEdit
There are many arrangements of the hymn that have been produced since its original publication. These include:
- 1963: in The Reader's Digest Family Songbook of Faith and Joy
- 1975: in The Josh White Songbook
- 1986: Five American Gospel Songs for solo voice and piano by Luigi Zaninelli includes a concert arrangement of it
- 1999: Six Gospel Hymn Preludes has an arrangement for solo organ by Wilbur Held
- 2007: in Songs of Comfort and Hope: Vocal Solos for Memorial and Funeral Services
|"His Eye Is on the Sparrow"|
|Song by Ha*Ash|
|from the album Primera Fila: Hecho Realidad|
|Released||11 November 2014|
|Recorded||2014 in Lake Charles, Louisiana|
|Label||Sony Music Latin|
The music video of the song is the live performance by Ha*Ash in Lake Charles, Louisiana. A music video for "His Eye Is on the Sparrow" was released on May 15, 2015. It was directed by Nahuel Lerena. The video was filmed in Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States.
Credits and personnel
Recording and management
- Recording Country: United States
- Sony / ATV Discos Music Publishing LLC / Westwood Publishing
- (P) 2014 Sony Music Entertainment México, S.A. De C.V.
- Ashley Grace – vocals
- Hanna Nicole – vocals
- Charles H. Gabriel – songwriting
- Civilla D.Martin – songwriting
- Pablo De La Loza – co-productor.
- George Noriega – producer
- Tim Mitchell – producer
Whitney Houston versionEdit
|"His Eye Is on the Sparrow"|
|Single by Whitney Houston|
|from the album Sparkle: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack|
|Released||June 8, 2012|
|Whitney Houston singles chronology|
Whitney Houston recorded a version for the soundtrack of the 2012 remake of the 1976 musical film Sparkle. RCA Records released the song as the second single from the album on June 8, 2012, four months after Houston's death. This version is Houston's last original single, and second posthumous one. The song made its debut only one day after the premiere of "Celebrate".
AllMusic called it a "piano, organ, and choir" showcase for Houston, citing it as a highlight of the soundtrack although admitting "Houston sounds as commanding as one can expect from a later recording." Entertainment Weekly editor Melissa Maerz called it "a gorgeously rippling solo" with Houston "testif[ying ...] that Jesus is watching over her." Jody Rosen of Rolling Stone panned the cover, saying "Houston sings – and croaks – in a voice octaves lower than in her prime. At times the song has a ravaged magnificence, but mostly it's painful."
- Waters, Ethel, with Charles Samuels, His Eye Is On The Sparrow: An Autobiography, New York, 1951, reprinted by Da Capo Press, 1992
- "His Eye Is On The Tiny Bird". Discogs. Retrieved 2019-10-03.
- Vincent D. Homan (2013). A Foot in Two Worlds: A Pastor's Journey From Grief to Hope. WestBow Press. p. 112. ISBN 978-1449774813.
- Dan Fox, ed., Pleasantville, N.Y. : Reader's Digest Association
- Walter Raim, Walter, ed., Chicago, Quadrangle Books
- Published by Harold Flammer, Inc./Shawnee Press, Delaware Water Gap, Pennsylvania
- Published by MorningStar Music Publishers, Fenton, Missouri
- Mark Hayes, ed., Lorenz Publisher, Dayton, Ohio
- "Ha*Ash graba primera producción en vivo | La República EC". La RepúblicaEC (in Spanish). 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- His Eyes On the Sparrow (HA-ASH Primera Fila - Hecho Realidad) [Acústico En Vivo] by Ha-Ash, retrieved 2019-08-11
- "Ha*Ash: "Nos ha tocado conocer el mundo juntas"". RTVE.es (in Spanish). 2016-03-28. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- "Primera Fila: Hecho Realidad - Ha*Ash | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Whitney Houston – His Eye Is On The Sparrow, retrieved 2019-08-11
- Andy Kellman. "Sparkle [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack]". AllMusic. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Sparkle: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". ew.com. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Various Artists Sparkle: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Album Review". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Civilla Durfee Martin
- Selected Songs by Charles H. Gabriel texts and MIDI sequences of 44 songs, including "His Eye Is on the Sparrow"
- Piano version and background of His Eye Is On The Sparrow Free MP3 piano version of "His Eye Is on the Sparrow"