Highways in New South Wales
The present highway network in New South Wales, Australia was established in August 1928 when the Country Roads Board (the predecessor of the Department of Main Roads, Roads & Traffic Authority and Roads & Maritime Services) superseded the 1924 main road classifications and established the basis of the existing New South Wales main road system. (the full list of main roads gazetted appears in the Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales of 17 August 1928). The number of a road for administrative purposes is not the same as the route number it carries e.g. the Great Western Highway is Highway 5 for administrative purposes but is signposted as part of route A32.)
Many major routes in New South Wales, including Sydney motorways and even some routes named as "highways" are not officially gazetted as highways. For a list of all numbered routes in New South Wales, see List of road routes in New South Wales.
While highways in many other countries are typically identified by number, highways in Australia, including New South Wales, are known mostly by names. These names typically come from 19th-century explorers, important politicians or geographic regions.
List of gazetted highwaysEdit
- "Schedule of Classified Roads and Unclassified Regional Roads" (PDF). Roads & Maritime Services. January 2014. Archived (PDF) from the original on 22 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- Snowy Mountains Highway Main Roads September 1955 page 4
- "The Sturt Highway". Main Roads. NSW Department of Main Roads. V (I): 20. November 1933.
- "Monaro Highway" (PDF). Main Roads. NSW Department of Main Roads. December 1959. pp. 44–49. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Google (11 August 2013). "Monaro Highway" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Daley, Michael (1 May 2009). "Reclassification of roads in association with Pacific Highway - Tugun Bypass in Tweed Shire" (PDF). Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales. NSW Government. p. 1947. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 April 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.