High Wycombe, Western Australia
High Wycombe (//) is a suburb of Perth, Western Australia, within the City of Kalamunda. High Wycombe lies east of the Perth CBD at the base of the Darling Scarp (commonly referred to as the foothills). Formerly part of Maida Vale, the suburb was officially declared on 2 June 1978; its name, which was first used in 1958 by a subdivider, Western Agencies, and refers to the town in Buckinghamshire where one of the partners in the firm was born.
Perth, Western Australia
|Population||12,308 (2016 census)|
|• Density||1,172/km2 (3,036/sq mi)|
|Area||10.5 km2 (4.1 sq mi)|
|Location||18 km (11 mi) from Perth|
|LGA(s)||City of Kalamunda|
High Wycombe is a large suburb in area, with its main population centred on roads that connect from Newburn Road, and bounded by Kalamunda Road to the north, Dundas Road to the west, Maida Vale Road to the south, and Roe Highway to the east. The suburb's growth is mainly in this area, however the estate of Jacaranda Springs, which is based on the northern side of Kalamunda Road, is also experiencing growth. A sparsely populated area around Milner Road is also part of the suburb.
In the 2016 census, there were 12,308 people in High Wycombe. This marks an increase of 527 persons in comparison to the 2011 census, which had the population at 11,781. Of these 49.7% were male and 50.3% were female. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people made up 2.7% of the population.
The most common responses for religion in High Wycombe were No Religion, so described 35.7%, Catholic 21.1%, Anglican 16.2%, Not stated 10.2% and Christian, nfd 3.0%. In High Wycombe, Christianity was the largest religious group reported overall (56.2%) (this figure excludes not stated responses).
- High Wycombe Primary School, Newburn Road (public school)
- Edney Primary School, Edney Road (public school)
- Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School (private school)
Parks and sporting reservesEdit
- Scott Reserve - Home of the High Wycombe cricket club and High Wycombe Bulldogs football teams. The oval is also shared by Edney Primary School, and is mainly used by the school as their oval.
- Flemming Reserve - small oval with night lighting, small playground and public toilets, small skate park and BMX track.
- High Wycombe Recreation Centre - Indoor sports, dancing, martial arts and meeting place. Borders on Edney Road Primary school and Scott Reserve, and like Scott Reserve is used by Edney Primary School, albeit far less frequently.
- Ollie Worrell Reserve - basketball hoop, playground Australian Rules goals, soccer goals and cricket nets. It's used by Matthew Gibney Catholic Primary School.
High Wycombe is served by Transperth bus services, operated by Path Transit and Swan Transit. Routes 296 and 299 provide the primary service for High Wycombe, operating to Elizabeth Quay Bus Station in the Perth CBD via Great Eastern Highway, or to Kalamunda bus station in Kalamunda, a regional centre of the Perth Hills. Route 296 serves the centre of High Wycombe, whilst route 299 operates along Kalamunda Road, serving the northern part of the suburb. During the peak commuter period in the peak direction of travel, route 299 is replaced by route 295, operating limited stops along Great Eastern Highway, and route 296 is supplemented by route 298, which additionally serves a greater area of the west of the suburb and travels to Elizabeth Quay Bus Station via Shepperton Road.
Alternate, less frequent bus routes provide connections to railway stations and shopping centres in the Eastern metropolitan region. Route 294 operates to Midland railway station and Midland Gate shopping centre, or to Cannington railway station and Westfield Carousel shopping centre. Route 304 provides an off peak service to Midland railway station from Hillview Village, a retirement community in the west of the suburb.
As part of the Airport line, High Wycombe will be serviced by High Wycombe station. Originally scheduled to be completed in 2020, it was delayed after numerous setbacks such as flooding, a sinkhole and slower than expected borers. It is now scheduled to be completed in the latter half of 2021.
Other public facilitiesEdit
- Maida Vale Baptist Church, Edney Road
- St Thomas' Anglican Church, Cyril Road
- 1st Scout Hall of Maida Vale Scouts, corner Newburn Road and Western Avenue
- Public Library, Markham Road
- Cyril Road Hall
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "High Wycombe (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "2016 Community Profiles: High Wycombe (State Suburb)". 2016 Census of Population and Housing. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Western Australian Land Information Authority. "History of metropolitan suburb names – H". Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "High Wycombe (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Ollie Worrell Reserve". Shire of Kalamunda.
- "Perth Airport link delayed by one year after sinkhole". ABC News. 18 December 2018. Retrieved 16 December 2019.