High Street Kensington tube station
High Street Kensington is a London Underground station on Kensington High Street, in Kensington. The station is on the Circle line between Gloucester Road and Notting Hill Gate, and the District line between Earl's Court and Notting Hill Gate and is in Travelcard Zone 1. Kensington Arcade forms the entrance to the station.
|High Street Kensington|
Entrance is through Kensington Arcade
|Location||Kensington High Street|
|Local authority||Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||4|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1 October 1868||Opened|
|25 November 1963||Goods yard closed|
|London transport portal|
The station itself has four platforms─two through platforms and two bay platforms. Platform 1 is used for anticlockwise Circle line and westbound District line trains towards Gloucester Road and Earl's Court respectively. Platform 2 is for clockwise Circle line and eastbound District line trains towards Edgware Road. Platforms 3 and 4 are used for terminating District line trains from Earl's Court. Platform 3 is usually used for the Olympia service, which runs weekends and for special events, and platform 4 is usually only used at the start and end of the day. There used to be a waiting room between Platform 2 and 3 for customer use, but this was turned into a staff room for drivers shortly before the Circle line extension to Hammersmith was implemented in December 2009.
Just south of the station is the junction where the Circle and District lines diverge.
The typical off-peak service from this station is:
- 12 tph (trains per hour) to Edgware Road via Paddington (6 tph District line, 6 tph Circle line)
- 6 tph to Wimbledon via Earl's Court (District line)
- 3 tph to Kensington (Olympia) via Earl's Court (District line) (weekends and special events only)
- 6 tph anticlockwise on the Circle line via Victoria and Embankment to Hammersmith
Entrance from Kensington Arcade
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to High Street Kensington tube station.|
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures (2007-2017)" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- "Station Usage Data" (CSV). Usage Statistics for London Stations, 2018. Transport for London. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2020.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
- High Street Kensington Buses Transport for London
- Route 702 timetable Reading Buses
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Edgware Road
towards Kensington (Olympia)