Hewlett Packard Enterprise
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (commonly referred to as HPE) is an American multinational enterprise information technology company based in Palo Alto, California, founded on 1 November 2015 as part of splitting of the Hewlett-Packard company. HPE is a business-focused organization with two divisions: Enterprise Group, which works in servers, storage, networking, consulting and support, and Financial Services.
|Founded||November 1, 2015|
|Headquarters||3000 Hanover Street, Palo Alto, California, United States|
|Revenue||US$28.87 billion (2017)|
|US$622 million (2017)|
|US$344 million (2017)|
|Total assets||US$61.40 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$23.46 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
The split was structured so that the former Hewlett-Packard Company would change its name to HP Inc. and spin off Hewlett Packard Enterprise as a newly created company. HP Inc. retained the old HP's personal computer and printing business, as well as its stock-price history and original NYSE ticker symbol for Hewlett-Packard; Enterprise trades under its own ticker symbol: HPE. According to notes from 2015,[which?] HPE's revenue was slightly less than that of HP Inc. In 2017, it spun off its Enterprise Services business and merged it with Computer Sciences Corporation to become DXC Technology. It also spun off its software business and merged it with Micro Focus.
The full name for the company is Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company, which drops the hyphen that previously existed between the "Hewlett" and "Packard" of the former Hewlett-Packard Company. During and since the separation, many media outlets have incorrectly named the new organization with some using "HP Enterprises" or "HP Enterprise".
In May 2016, the company announced it would sell its enterprise services division to one of its competitors, Computer Sciences Corporation in a deal valued at US$8.5 billion. The merger of HPE Enterprise Services with CSC, to form a new company DXC Technology, was completed on 10 March 2017. Approximately 100,000 current HPE employees are affected. More than 30,000 services employees from other areas of the HPE business will remain at HPE including technology services support and consulting as well as software professional services.
In August 2016, the company announced plans to acquire Silicon Graphics International (SGI), known for their capabilities in high performance computing. On November 1, 2016, HPE announced it completed the acquisition, for US$7.75 per share in cash, a transaction valued at approximately US$275 million, net of cash and debt.
On September 7, 2016, HPE announced a "spin-merge" with Micro Focus, where Micro Focus would acquire its "non-core" software, and HPE shareholders would own 50.1 percent of the merged company, which would retain its current name. The merger concluded on September 1, 2017.
In November 2016, PC World wrote "HPE, and before it, Hewlett-Packard, failed to develop middleware tools to really make a dent in the software market, where other companies like IBM, SAP, and Oracle are excelling" and that "without major software product lines, HPE’s integrated offerings won’t be as strong as competitors like Dell, which have the software and hardware assets, adding that "If all HPE is doing at this point is focusing largely on hardware, you have to ask what the end game here is."
In September, 2016, Hewlett Packard Enterprise transferred two patents to a Texas-based wholly owned shell company Plectrum LLC. These two patents were originated at the 3Com Corporation, which was bought by HP in 2010, along with about 1,400 patents. US Patent No. 6,205,149 is entitled "Quality of service control mechanism and apparatus," while US Patent No. 5,978,951 describes the use of a "high speed cache management unit" which replaces some software-based systems with hardware in order to reduce latency time.
In April 2017, Hewlett Packard Enterprise completed its acquisition of hybrid flash and all flash manufacturer, Nimble Storage Inc, for US$1.2 billion or US$12.50 per share. In October, Reuters reported that the company had allowed a Russian defense agency to examine a cyber-defense system used by The Pentagon. The report noted: "Six former U.S. intelligence officials, as well as former ArcSight [Hewlett Packard Enterprise] employees and independent security experts, said the source code review could help Moscow discover weaknesses in the software, potentially helping attackers to blind the U.S. military to a cyber attack." 
In November 2017, Meg Whitman announced that she will be stepping down as CEO, after six years at the helm of HP and HPE, she noted that on February 1, Antonio Neri will take this role. The announcement created controversy leading to a 6% drop in stock price, which quickly recovered during the next few days.
In June 2018, Hewlett Packard Enterprise launched a hybrid cloud service called GreenLake Hybrid Cloud, which is built on top of HPE's OneSphere cloud management SaaS offering. GreenLake Hybrid Cloud is designed to provide cloud management, cost control, and compliance control capabilities, and will run on AWS and Microsoft Azure.
- List of networking hardware vendors
- HP Inc. – the demerged sibling company that offers printers and personal computers.
- Hewlett Packard Labs – the research & development arm of HP Inc.
- DXC Technology – A new IT services company formed in April 2017 through a merger of Computer Science Corporation and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services, a former global business unit of Hewlett Packard Enterprise that provided managed and outsourced services.
- Micro Focus – The former global business unit of Hewlett Packard Enterprise that sold Software including big data analysis and security solutions merged with Micro Focus.
- "HP to Cut Up to 30,000 Jobs". Al Jazeera America. September 15, 2015. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Larry Dignan (November 2, 2015). "HP Inc., HPE launch: Questions abound for both". ZDNet. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Mark Tyson (November 2, 2015). "Hewlett-Packard becomes HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard Enterprise". Hexus. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Brandon Bailey (May 24, 2016). "HP Enterprise selling tech services business to rival". AP. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Hewlett Packard Enterprise Wins "Gold" in Data Analytics, High-Performance Computing with Acquisition of SGI". www.hpe.com. August 11, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Hewlett Packard Enterprise Completes Acquisition of SGI" (Press release). Hewlett Packard Enterprise. November 1, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Acquire SGI to Extend Leadership in High Growth Big Data Analytics and High Performance Computing" (Press release). August 11, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Christine Wang (September 7, 2016). "Hewlett Packard Enterprise earnings: 49 cents per share vs 44 cents EPS est". CNBC. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- James Titcomb (September 1, 2017). "Micro Focus becomes UK's biggest tech company as it completes £7bn HPE deal". The Telegraph. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Agam Shah (November 30, 2016). "A year after separation, HP and HP Enterprise are still trying to shed rust". PC World. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- Hannah Kuchler (April 11, 2017). "Hacker-for-hire company Synack raises $21m". Financial Times. Retrieved September 28, 2017.
- "HPE acquires SimpliVity for $650M in cash". techcrunch.com. 2017-01-17. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- Schectman, Joel; Volz, Dustin; Stubbs, Jack (October 2, 2017). "Special Report: HP Enterprise let Russia scrutinize cyberdefense system used by Pentagon". Reuters.
- Balakrishnan, Anita. "Meg Whitman to leave role as CEO of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, shares tumble 6%". CNBC. CNBC. Retrieved 3 January 2018.
- "HPE launches hybrid cloud-as-a-service offering". IT PRO. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "HPE Doubles Down on Hybrid Cloud With Service Built on OneSphere". SDxCentral. Retrieved 2018-06-22.