Hero Hiralal is a 1989 Indian film directed by Ketan Mehta, starring Naseeruddin Shah and Sanjana Kapoor in leading roles. It is a movie about an auto rickshaw driver who falls in love with a film actress. The movie showcased good performances by the lead actors and by Saeed Jaffrey and Satish Shah in their supporting roles. This marked Sanjana Kapoor's first leading role in a Bollywood film. This film was planned to be released on 21 October 1988, but after a change, the film released on 6 January 1989.
|Directed by||Ketan Mehta|
|Produced by||Gul Anand|
|Screenplay by||Gul Anand|
|Music by||Hridaynath Mangeshkar|
Naseeruddin Shah is Hero Hiralal, a Hyderabadi auto-rickshaw driver who meets an upcoming Bollywood starlet, Roopa (Sanjana Kapoor) and becomes her tour guide. Soon, the two fall in love.
Work takes Roopa back to Bombay. Hero, pining for his lover, follows her and has an encounter with her family members, who clearly disapprove of him. Rupa's family tells her to reject Hero's love and move on with her career. Buckling under family pressure, Roopa is compelled to abandon her love, which causes Hero to fall into depression and attempt suicide. He is saved in time by Rani Sitara Devi, a show lady (Deepa Sahi), who arranges for him to die like a great lover in supposedly the greatest show on earth as directed by her. Hero is saved once again in the nick of time when Roopa arrives in a rush at the last minute to confess her love for him.
- Naseeruddin Shah – Hero Hiralal
- Sanjana Kapoor – Rupa
- Deepa Sahi - Rani Sitara Devi
- Kiran Kumar – Prem Kumar
- Rohini Hattangadi – Roopa's step-mom
- Saeed Jaffrey – Aziz Bhai
- Satish Shah – Bhagwan
- Mohan Gokhale – Rangeela Paintal
- Johnny Lever – Police constable
- Dilip Dhawan
- Deepak Qazir – Dukhilal
- Ahmad Khan
- Rahul Chowdhary
- Hosi Vasunia
- Benjamin Gilani
- Amitabh Bachchan (Spl. Appearance)
Box office receptionEdit
Hero Hiralal was a box office failure.
- Direction – Ketan Mehta
- Producer – Gul Anand
- Cinematography – Faroukh Mistry, Jehangir Chowdhury
- Choreography – Chinni Prakash, Jay Borade
- Action – Ravi Dewan
- Editor – Sutanu Gupta, Adesh Verma
- Screenplay – Ketan Mehta, Gul Anand
- Dialogue – Hridaylani
- Sound – Jitendra Chaudhary
- Costume – Bhanu Athaiya
- Music = Hridaynath Mangeshkar
- Lyrics = Gulzar
- Singers = Lata Mangeshkar, Kumar Sanu & Amit Kumar
This article does not cite any sources. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "'She is an idiot'". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2 March 2019.