Hero is a 2015 Indian Hindi-language romantic action film written and directed by Nikkhil Advani, co-written by Umesh Bist, and produced by Salman Khan and Subhash Ghai under Salman Khan Films and Mukta Arts, with Eros International serving as distributor. A remake of Ghai's 1983 blockbuster film of the same name, which starred Jackie Shroff, the film stars debutantes Sooraj Pancholi and Athiya Shetty, son of actor Aditya Pancholi and daughter of actor Sunil Shetty respectively. Aditya Pancholi has an important role in the film himself.
|Directed by||Nikkhil Advani|
|Written by||Nikkhil Advani|
by Subhash Ghai
|Produced by||Salman Khan|
|Cinematography||Tushar Kanti Ray|
|Edited by||Ritesh Soni|
Meet Bros Anjjan
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
|Box office||₹34.82 crore (US$4.6 million)|
The film was released on 11 September 2015 worldwide. The film garnered mixed to negative reviews.
Sooraj Kaushik is a gangster from Mumbai who meets Radha Mathur, daughter of the city's Chief of Police, IG Shrikant Mathur, during a party. Sooraj, under instructions from his gangster father, Suryakant 'Pasha' Ranade, kidnaps Radha because Shrikant brought evidence against Pasha in court and kidnaps Radha in the guise of a police officer by telling her that he received instructions from the police to take her away from the city as there is a threat that Pasha and his gang will kidnap Radha unless they move for some time. During these days, they slowly fall in love. One day the police track them, and Sooraj and Radha escape, but Sooraj is shot in the arm while trying to jump over a broken bridge, and they both fall in the water. Later they are rescued by a colony of monks though the world thinks both are dead. Sooraj, who was severely injured, remained unconscious. Radha talks about her love for him when she finds Sooraj is awake. Later he confesses to Radha that he had kidnapped her. She has, however, fallen in love with him and asks him to surrender. Sooraj, who is coldly intercepted and held at gunpoint by Shrikant during a fatal attempt on Pasha's part to escape a trial, is sent to jail for two years. During that time, Radha's brother Dheeraj asks her to go to Paris, hoping he would reunite between the lovers when they get free. One and a half years later, the court reduces Sooraj's sentence on the grounds of good behavior. Sooraj is out of jail and is ready to start a new life with Radha, but to live a life, he needed to earn. So he creates a fitness center for living with support from Radha and Dheeraj. Then Dheeraj introduces Ranvijay, a smuggler and a helper of Pasha but shows them that he is innocent. Radha's family likes him. Shrikant decides to tie Ranvijay and Radha into the knot, disliking Sooraj while posing that he turns state witness against Pasha, which Sooraj disagrees with. But Ranvijay, being Pasha's henchman, intends to break Radha's and Sooraj's love. Radha and Sooraj tell Shrikant and Dheeraj about what happened, how they met, and how they fell in love, but Shrikant still refuses to accept Sooraj due to his imposter behavior. One night, as Sooraj calmly rejects Dheeraj's request to agree to Shrikant's condition, Ranvijay, waiting for the right opportunity, arrives after Dheeraj leaves stabs Sooraj, who loses consciousness. Later, in the morning, Pasha arrives intending to kill Radha and Sooraj but seeing their love for each other and Sooraj's love for Pasha leaves them unharmed. But Ranvijay still holds a grudge against Sooraj. A fight ensues, and Ranvijay is shot by Shrikant, who then accepts Sooraj, and he and Radha get married.
- Sooraj Pancholi as Sooraj Kaushik, Radha's love interest and Pasha's son
- Athiya Shetty as Radha Mathur Kaushik, Sooraj's love interest and Shrikant's daughter
- Aditya Pancholi as Suryakant 'Pasha' Ranade, Sooraj's father
- Tigmanshu Dhulia as IG Shrikant Mathur, Radha's father
- Sharad Kelkar as Dheeraj Mathur, Radha's brother
- Anita Hassanandani as Ruchi Mathur, Dheeraj's wife
- Vivan Bhatena as Ranvijay Shekhawat
- Chetan Hansraj as Changhezi
- Randeep Kumar Jha as Rathudi
- Anil Mange as Salim
- Trishaan as Gangu
- Ashish Verma as Mangesh
- Salman Khan in a special appearance in the music video of the song "Main Hoon Hero Tera"
In May 2013 it was announced that Subhash Ghai is all set to remake his 1983 blockbuster Hero, which will be re-edited and re- written. On 6 August 2013 it was announced that Nikhil Advani is all set to direct and re-write the script for the film, which Salman Khan is producing. On 19 September 2013, Khan announced the launch of his own production house Salman Khan Films, which was to debut with the remake, though the 2014 Canadian film Dr. Cabbie and the 2015 Kabir Khan-directed Indian film Bajrangi Bhaijaan actually marked Khan's production debut. On 7 January 2014, it was reported that Khan set the film to start production on 18 February, and the film would be released on 12 December 2014.
On 10 February 2014, it was reported that Ghai, who helmed the original, had approved the script re-written by Advani and his co-writer Umesh Bist. Ghai said "I think they've done a fantastic job of contemporising my script to suit today's tastes".
On 14 August 2013 news told that Govinda and Vinod Khanna will also star in the remake film. On 25 October 2013 Ghai said "Yes, Salman may make a special appearance but he will primarily be working as the producer of the film"  and he will be singing the title song of the film. On 9 February 2014 it was confirmed that Athiya Shetty will make her acting debut in the remake film opposite Sooraj Pancholi, another debutante. Pancholi's father Aditya Pancholi, a lead actor of the 1980s and 1990s, was also cast in the film.
On 19 September 2013 it was announced that both Pancholi and Shetty are currently undergoing training to start the film's production. On 7 January 2014 Khan set the film to start shooting on 18 February. Later Advani began the principal photography of the film on 16 February 2014 at the Gateway of India.
Mohar Bash from Times of India gave 3* to the film stating that "Sculpted as a full throttle masala entertainer, Hero is plot-heavy. And while you are well acquainted with the story, Nikhil and Salman's sensibility works as midas touch, giving the film a different texture. It is slick and never allows its viewers to feel restless. For its 132 minutes' crisp runtime."
Bollywood Hungama gave 2/5* to the film stating that "On the whole, HERO fails the litmus test of rehashing a classic for the Generation Next. It appeals in very small measures and is not an ideal weekend entertainer. If you a die-hard Salman Khan fan, you may want to patronise, else avoid."
Koimoi gave 2.5/5* to the film stating that " Hero is a complete throwback of the 'Ek Gunda Ek IG Ki Beti Se Kaise Pyaar Kar Sakta Hai' era. Nikhil Advani misses out on presenting a completely entertaining plot. All the elements seem scattered and hence there is neither enough romance nor action nor drama. The screenplay is a little hotchpotch and that is what affects the film badly." Rajeev Masand from CNN-IBN gave 2/5*, stating that "This is lazy, indifferent filmmaking, and a colossal bore for most of its running time. A video featuring Salman Khan singing the terrific title track at the end is too little too late. I'm going with two out of five."
Indian express gave 0/5* to the film stating that "This stale story is transported to 2015 for reasons best known to the filmmakers. If you are giving us a brand new pair, what is to stop you from giving us a brand new plot? And if you do have to remake that 80s show, why can't you do a better job?"
Martin D'souza from Glamsham gave 0/5* to the film stating that "This film is just an extended promo for two star kids of the industry who have got the backing from Salman Khan, Subhash Ghai and Eros International; not necessarily in that order."
The film netted ₹6.85 crore (US$910,000) on its opening day. On its second day the film collected ₹6.62 crore (US$880,000) to take its two-day total to ₹13.50 crore (US$1.8 million). Its first weekend collection stand at ₹21 crore (US$2.8 million). On its fourth day, the film collected ₹3.03 crore (US$400,000) nett. The film collected ₹2.45 crore (US$330,000) on its fifth day of release. The film collected around ₹30 crore (US$4.0 million) nett in its first week.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||14 August 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music for Hero is composed by Amaal Mallik, Meet Bros Anjjan and Sachin–Jigar while lyrics are by Kumaar and Niranjan Iyengar. This was the first film, the other being the 2019 film Batla House, where Advani had not worked with Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy, though they were at parallel with Advani's successive release, Katti Batti. The first song Main Hoon Hero Tera in Salman's voice, composed by Mallik and arranged & produced by Meghdeep Bose, was released on 9 August 2015 and it received more than 55 million views. The soundtrack was released on 14 August 2015 by T-Series.
|1.||"Main Hoon Hero Tera"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Salman Khan||04:44|
|2.||"Jab We Met "||Niranjan Iyengar||Sachin–Jigar||Rahul Pandey, Shalmali Kholgade, Divya Kumar, Jigar Saraiya||05:19|
|3.||"Main Hoon Hero Tera" (Reprise)||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik||04:44|
|4.||"Khoya Khoya"||Niranjan Iyengar||Sachin–Jigar||Mohit Chauhan, Priya Saraiya, Arpita Chakraborty, Tanishka Sanghvi||05:17|
|5.||"Yadaan Teriyaan (Version 1)"||Kumaar||Jassi Katyal||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||05:04|
|6.||"Yadaan Teriyaan (Version 2)"||Kumaar||Jassi Katyal||Dev Negi, Shipra Goyal||05:02|
|7.||"Dance Ke Legend"||Kumaar||Meet Bros Anjjan||Meet Bros, Bhoomi Trivedi||04:00|
|8.||"O Khuda"||Kumaar||Amaal Mallik||Amaal Mallik, Palak Muchhal||05:07|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award Ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|2015||Mirchi Music Awards||Upcoming Male Vocalist of The Year||Amaal Mallik – "O Khuda"||Nominated|||
|Upcoming Music Composer of The Year||Amaal Mallik – "Main Hoon Hero Tera (Salman Khan Version)"|
- "Hero – Movie – Worldwide Gross & Budget". Box Office India. Retrieved 25 June 2018.
- "Box office Worldwide and days wise break up of Hero (2015)". Bollywood Hungama. 12 September 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Film Hero Will Release On 11 September". No. Inext Live Jagran. Inext. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Subhash Ghai to remake his old films again". hindustantimes.com. 13 May 2013. Archived from the original on 13 March 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani To Helm 'Hero' Remake?". yahoo.com. 6 August 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Pacheco, Sunitra (7 January 2014). "Salman Khan sets up 'Hero' schedule for Suraj Pancholi". indianexpress.com. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- "Sooraj Pancholi: Salman Khan gave us good amount of freedom to finish HERO". Glamsham. Retrieved 10 September 2015.
- Hungama, Bollywood (10 February 2014). "Subhash Ghai gives thumbs-up to Nikhil Advani's Hero – Salman Khan – Latest Celebrity news". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Govinda, Vinod Khanna in 'Hero' remake?". india.com. 14 August 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Baksi, Dibyojyoti (25 October 2013). "Salman Khan's guest appearance for Hero remake?". hindustantimes.com. Archived from the original on 25 October 2013. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Kaur Marwah, Navdeep (9 February 2014). "Athiya is definitely debuting opposite suraj: Suniel Shetty". hindustantimes.com. Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- K. Jha, Subhash (19 September 2013). "Subhash Ghai to compose music for Salman Khan Productions". hindustantimes.com. Archived from the original on 13 March 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- IANS (16 February 2014). "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for 'Hero'". News18. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- PTI (16 February 2014). "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for Hero". India TV News. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- Thakur, Vishal (12 September 2015). "Hero". Hindustan (in Hindi). Lucknow: HT Media. p. 15.
- KoiMoi – Hero Day 1 (1st Friday) Box Office Collections : Opens To Expected Numbers. M.koimoi.com. Retrieved on 12 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Box Office – Hero Stays Steady On Day 2. M.koimoi.com (13 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Has A Decent Opening Weekend At The Box Office. M.koimoi.com (14 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Sees A Usual Monday Drop – 4th Day Box Office Collection. M.koimoi.com (15 September 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- KoiMoi – Hero Witnesses A Dip In Business On 1st Tuesday | Box Office Collections. M.koimoi.com. Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- Boxoffice. Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- "Meghdeep Bose: Commercial success of a song has never been my agenda". Hindustan Times. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2019.
- T-Series (8 August 2015). "'Main Hoon Hero Tera' VIDEO Song – Salman Khan – Amaal Mallik – Hero – T-Series" – via YouTube.
- "Loading..." www.lyricssuper.com.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 25 March 2018.