Hero (1983 film)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2021)
Hero is a 1983 Indian Hindi-language romantic action film directed by Subhash Ghai. Jackie Shroff played the lead role, and achieved stardom through this film. The actress Meenakshi Sheshadri, who had been Miss India in 1981 and played the lead female role gained popularity through this movie. The music was written by Laxmikant Pyarelal and songs are still popular. The movie was declared a blockbuster in the box office.
|Directed by||Subhash Ghai|
|Written by||Mukta Ghai|
|Produced by||Subhash Ghai|
|Edited by||Waman Bhonsle|
|Distributed by||Mukta Arts Ltd.|
Hero was remade in Telugu as Vikram and in Kannada as Ranadheera. A Hindi remake was released in 2015 directed by Nikhil Advani. The film ranked third position in the Box Office collection list 1983.
The film starts with Pasha (Amrish Puri) being taken to prison. To get out of the situation, he writes to his best man, Jackie (Jackie Shroff). Jackie goes to Police Commissioner Shrikanth Mathur (Shammi Kapoor) and warns him. He then kidnaps Shrikanth's daughter Radha (Meenakshi Sheshadri). He tells her that he is a police officer and they fall in love; however, she finds out that he is a gangster but does not leave him and urges him to surrender. Transformed by true love, Jackie surrenders to the police and is imprisoned for two years.
Back home, Radha tells her brother Daamodar (Sanjeev Kumar) the truth. To prevent Radha from marrying somebody else, he calls his friend Jimmy (Shakti Kapoor) to put on a show that Radha and Jimmy love each other. Jimmy misunderstands the situation and falls in love with Radha. When Jackie comes back, he starts work in a garage and tries to reform himself. Despite everything, Shrikanth kicks him out of his life. After many days and events that follow, Daamodar finds out that Jimmy is a drug smuggler. After his release from prison, Pasha desires revenge against both Shrikanth and Jackie, so he kidnaps Radha, Shrikanth and Daamodar. Jackie comes at the last moment and frees all of them. In the end, Shrikanth lets Radha marry Jackie.
- Jackie Shroff as Jackie Dada / Jaikishan
- Meenakshi Sheshadri as Radha Mathur
- Sanjeev Kumar as Damodar Mathur
- Shammi Kapoor as Police Commissioner Shrikanth Mathur
- Amrish Puri as Pasha
- Madan Puri as Bharat
- Bindu as Jamuna (Radha's widowed aunt)
- Bharat Bhushan as Ramu
- Shakti Kapoor as Jimmy Thapa
- Urmila Bhatt as Sandhya Mathur
- Shaikh Azad as Shaikh Faruk
The film was declared a "blockbuster" at the Indian box office, with Shroff and Sheshadri becoming stars after its release. Hero ran for 750 days in many cities in India. Both actors were in demand after its release and began a long association with Ghai. Younger audiences enjoyed the performances, and critics applauded Ghai for using fresh faces at a time when Amitabh Bachchan was the dominant star in Bollywood. The Yamaha Rajdoot 350 bike was heavily promoted in this movie.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|1.||"Ding Dong"||Anuradha Paudwal, Manhar Udhas||08:27|
|2.||"Mohabbat Ye Mohabbat"||Lata Mangeshkar, Suresh Wadkar||06:45|
|4.||"Nindya Se Jaagi Bahaar"||Lata Mangeshkar||06:18|
|5.||"Pyar Karne Wale Kabhi Darte Nahi"||Lata Mangeshkar, Manhar Udhas||05:55|
|6.||"Tu Mera Hero Hai"||Anuradha Paudwal, Manhar Udhas||08:03|
|1986||Vikram||Telugu||Nagarjuna, Sobhana||V. Madhusudhan Rao|
|1988||Ranadheera||Kannada||V. Ravichandran, Khushbu, Ananth Nag||V. Ravichandran|
|2015||Hero||Hindi||Sooraj Pancholi, Athiya Shetty,||Nikhil Advani|
- "Box Office 1983". Boxoffice India. Archived from the original on 1 February 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Hero Was an Important Film for Me: Subhash Ghai". News18. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Jackie Shroff and Subhash Ghai watch 'Hero' together as the film turns 34". WION. 27 November 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Sukanya Verma (6 February 2014). "Hero: Revisiting Subhash Ghai's flamboyant take on romance". Rediff. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- ""'Hero' made Jackie and Meenakshi into overnight stars but 'the flute' was the real hero in the film" - Subhash Ghai". Mukta Arts Ltd. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Thombare, Suparna (16 November 2018). "5 memorable roles of Meenakshi Seshadri – Birthday special". Cinestaan. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for remake of 1983 Film Hero". Biharprabha News. 17 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for 'Hero'". IBN Live. 16 February 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.