His family became part of the Bohemian group including Jack and Bess London and George and Carrie Sterling. His daughter, Elsie Whitaker, was the subject of photographs and paintings. She married Mexican-American artist Xavier Martinez (1869 – 1943) in October 1907, and they remained married until Martinez's death in 1943.
His books include The Probationer (1905), The Settler (1906), The Planter (1909), and The Mystery of the Barranca (1913), among many others. His novel Over the Border (1916) was adapted for the John Ford western 3 Bad Men (1926).
- Piedmont Community Calendar 1997. Historical information about Piedmont written by Ann Swift. Printed 1996 by the City of Piedmont.
- Whitaker, Herman (April 5, 2018). The Settler. BoD – Books on Demand. ISBN 9783732653584 – via Google Books.
- Whitaker, Herman (September 9, 1905). The Probationer: And Other Stories. Harper & Brothers – via Internet Archive.
- "Herman Whitaker". IMDb.
- Works by Herman Whitaker at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Herman Whitaker at Internet Archive
- Herman Whitaker at IMDb