Herman IV, Duke of Swabia
Herman IV, Duke of Swabia and Margrave of Turin
|Noble family||House of Babenberg|
|Spouse(s)||Adelaide of Susa|
|Father||Ernest I, Duke of Swabia|
|Mother||Gisela of Swabia|
Herman became duke in 1030 following the death of his older brother Ernest II. At the time he was still a minor.
Seven years later, his stepfather, the Emperor Conrad II, married him to Adelaide of Susa, the marchioness of Turin, in January 1037. Herman was then invested as margrave of Turin. In July of the next year, while campaigning with Conrad in Southern Italy, he was struck down by an epidemic near Naples. Conrad then transferred rule of the duchy of Swabia to his own son, Henry I, while Adelaide remarried to Henry of Montferrat.
Because of a late Austrian source, Herman is sometimes mistakenly said to have had children. This was not the case. Herman was on campaign for much of his short marriage to Adelaide and he died without heirs.
- Wolfram 2006, p. 33.
- Hellmann, Grafen, p. 13
- Ryley 1964, p. 274.
- Iginio Rogger, "Riconsiderazioni sulla storia della Chiesa locale Trentina", in Lia de Finis (ed.), Storia del Trentino, Didascalibri, 1994, pp. 66-67.
- On this see E. Hlawitschka, 'Zur Abstammung Richwaras, der Gemahlin Herzog Bertholds I. von Zähringen,' Zeitschrift für die Geschichte des Oberrheins, 154 (2006), 1–20
- Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln, I.1, table 84
- Ryley, Caroline M. (1964). "The Emperor Henry III". In Gwatkin, H.W.; Whitney, J.P.; Tanner, J.R.; Previte-Orton, C.W. (eds.). The Cambridge Medieval History:Germany and the Western Empire. III. Cambridge University Press.
- Wolfram, Herwig (2006). Conrad II, 990-1039: Emperor of Three Kingdoms. Translated by Kaiser, Denise A. The Pennsylvania State University Press.
- 'Hermann IV., Hzg. v. Schwaben,' in: Lexikon des Mittelalters (LexMA), vol. 4 (Munich and Zürich, 1989), cols. 2161–2162.
- D. Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten (Marburg, 1978).
- S. Hellmann, Die Grafen von Savoyen und das Reich: bis zum Ende der staufischen Periode (Innsbruck, 1900), accessible online (but without page numbers) at: Genealogie Mittelalter
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands Project on Hermann IV of Swabia, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy
- Hermann IV, Herzog von Schwaben (1030-1038), Markgraf von Turin-Susa (1036-1038) (in German)
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Leopold I, Margrave of Austria". Genealogy.EU.