|Governor of South Sumatra|
|Assumed office |
1 October 2018
|Preceded by||Alex Noerdin|
|Regent of East Ogan Komering Ulu|
23 August 2005 – 23 August 2015
|Succeeded by||Kholid Mawardi|
|Born||17 November 1967|
|Alma mater||Sjahyakirti University|
STIE Trisna Negara Belitang
Born in the town of Belitang, he worked as a civil servant for 11 years before entering politics, becoming a two-term regent for his home regency. After his ten years ended, he participated in the 2018 gubernatorial election and won.
Early life and educationEdit
Herman Deru is part of the Komering clan, which is native to areas of South Sumatra. He was born in the town of Belitang in East Ogan Komering Ulu Regency on 17 November 1967. Completing his primary (1979) and junior high school (1982) there, he would later graduate from Palembang State Senior High School 3 (SMA Negeri 3 Palembang) on 1985.
Later, as he worked, he would continue to study law in Sjahyakirti University in Palembang, getting his bachelors in 1995. After he became regent, he would continue to study for his masters as well, obtaining a masters in management from Trisna Negara Belitang Economic Institute (STIE Trisna Negara Belitang) on 2008.
After completing his high school, he was briefly self-employed before he became a civil servant in 1987. He would work for the provincial government for 11 years, before he resigned in 1998 and returned to his business.
In 2005, he participated in East OKU's first regent election and won. He was sworn in on 23 August 2005. In his first year of tenure, the poverty level was reduced from 12.81 to 10 percent. He was reelected in 2010, winning 94.86 percent of the votes and breaking the national record for the biggest victory in a local election.
During his second term, he tried to run for governor, challenging incumbent Alex Noerdin in the 2013 election. The initial results were challenged and a revote was held. However, he would lose to Noerdin, winning 1,389,169 votes to Noerdin's 1,447,799. His second term ended on 23 August 2015. Within his tenure, he received a total of 29 awards including the Satyalencana Wirakarya medal.
In 2018, Deru decided to run once more for governorship, with Alex Noerdin ineligible for a third term. Backed by PAN, Nasdem and Hanura, him and his running mate Mawardi Yahya won 1,394,438 votes (35.96%), defeating 3 other pairs. He was sworn in on 1 October 2018.
Personal life and familyEdit
- Jeghesta, Manuel (20 October 2017). "Mendalami Sosok Herman Deru Calon Gubernur Sumsel 2018". SINDOnews.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Profil" (in Indonesian). Herman Deru. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Profil Herman Deru". VIVA (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "SEJARAH SINGKAT KABUPATEN OKU TIMUR" (in Indonesian). East OKU Regency. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Jabatan Deru Berakhir 23 Agustus". Sriwijaya Post (in Indonesian). 23 March 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Dinata, Dadang (6 June 2010). "Rekor Pilkada, Cabup OKU Raih 95 % Suara". Okezone (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "Herman Daru Saingi Kekayaan Alex Noerdin". KOMPAS (in Indonesian). 16 May 2013. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Maspril, Aries (11 September 2013). "Alex Noerdin Kembali Unggul pada Pemilukada Gubernur Sumsel". Republika (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Hendra, Evan (24 August 2015). "HM Kholid MD Sudah Kembalikan Mobil Dinas". Sriwijaya Post (in Indonesian). Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "PILKADA PROVINSI SUMATERA SELATAN". Komisi Pemilihan Umum. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Siregar, Raja Adil (2 October 2018). "Jabat Gubernur, Herman Deru Siap Bantu Jokowi di Sumsel". detikCom (in Indonesian). Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Ingin Buktikan Janji". Sriwijaya Post (in Indonesian). 21 November 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2018.