Herbert W. Franke
Herbert W. Franke (born 14 May 1927 in Vienna) is an Austrian scientist and writer. Die Zeit calls him "the most prominent German writing Science Fiction author". He is also active in the fields of future research, speleology as well as computer graphics and digital art.
Since 1957, he has worked as a freelance author. From 1973 to 1997 he held a lectureship in "Cybernetical Aesthetic" at Munich University (later computer graphics - computer art). In 1979, he co-founded Ars Electronica in Linz/Austria. In 1979 and 1980, he lectured in "introduction to perception psychology" at the Art & Design division of the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences. Also in 1980 he became a selected member of the German PEN club.
A collection of short stories titled "The Green Comet" was his first book publication. In 1998, Franke attended a SIGGRAPH computer graphics conference in Orlando and was a juror at the "VideoMath Festival" Berlin. He also took part in innumerable performances and presentations.
- 1963 "Planet der Verlorenen" (Planet of the lost) as Sergius Both.
- 1964 The Magic of Molecules (Magie der Moleküle, 1958)
- 1973 The Orchid Cage (Der Orchideenkäfig, 1961)
- 1974 The Mind Net (Das Gedankennetz, 1961)
- 1974 Zone Null (Zone Null, 1970)
- 1979 Ypsilon minus (Ypsilon Minus, 1976)
- 1971 Computer Graphics: Computer Art (Computergraphik - Computerkunst, 1971)
- 2003 "Vorstoß in die Unterwelt - Abenteuer Höhlenforschung" (Approach to the Underworld - Adventure Cave Research) was published.
- 2004 "Sphinx_2" released.
- 2005 "Cyber City Süd" released.
- 2006 "Auf der Spur des Engels" released.
- 2007 "Flucht zum Mars" released.
Awards and honoursEdit
- 1985 and 1991: Deutscher Science Fiction Preis (best novel)
- 1985, 1986, 2007: Kurd Lasswitz prize
- 1987 Computer art award of the German software manufacturer Association
- 1989 Phantastik-Preis der Stadt Wetzlar
- 1992 Karl Theodor Vogel Prize for technology journalism
- 2002 Dr. Benno-Wolf-Preis by VdHK (German Speleological Federation) - for merits in speleology
- 2007 Austrian Cross of Honour for Science and Art, 1st class
- 2007 Collection of projects in honor of Herbert W. Franke's 80's birthday on May 14th
- 2016 Life Time Award of the European Science Fiction Society "European Grand Master of Science Fiction"
Museum collections and exhibitionsEdit
- Wolf Lieser. Digital Art. Langenscheidt: h.f. ullmann. 2009. pp. 26, 29, 31-2, 38, 274
- VideoMath festival jury page
- ISFDB.org: Herbert W. Franke - Summary Bibliography
- "Reply to a parliamentary question" (pdf) (in German). p. 1774. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Herbert W. Franke.|