Henry Temple, 1st Viscount Palmerston
Temple was the eldest son of Sir John Temple, Speaker of the Irish House of Commons, and his wife Jane Yarner, daughter of Sir Abraham Yarner, muster-master general for Ireland. He was educated at Eton College from around 1689 to 1693 and was admitted at King's College, Cambridge in 1693. On 10 June 1703, he married Anne Houblon (1683 - 13 December 1735), the daughter of Abraham Houblon, a governor of the Bank of England.
Temple was created Viscount Palmerston of Palmerston, County Dublin, and Baron Temple of Mount Temple on 12 March 1723. He helped Bishop Berkeley in his schemes in the West Indies. At the 1727 British general election, he was returned as Member of Parliament for East Grinstead. He was returned as MP for Bossiney at the 1734 British general election. At the 1741 British general election he was returned as MP for Weobley until 1747.
In 1736, Palmerston bought Broadlands from Humphrey Sydenham and began to rework the gardens there. He began the deformalisation of the gardens between the river and the house and produced the (broad-lands) "gentle descent to the river". On 11 May 1738 at St Antholin, Budge Row, he married again, to Isabella Fryer, widow of Sir John Fryer, 1st Baronet, and daughter of Sir Francis Gerard, 4th Baronet.
Palmerston died on10 June 1757. He had two children by his first wife , neither of whom survived him.:
- Henry Temple, Lord Temple of Mount Temple (died 18 August 1740)
- Richard Temple (c.1726 – 8 August 1749)
- "Temple, Henry (TML693H)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "TEMPLE, Henry, 1st Visct. Palmerston [I] (c.1673-1757), of East Sheen, Surr. and Broadlands, Hants". History of Parliament Online. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- "No. 6136". The London Gazette. 5 February 1723. p. 1.
- Cokayne, George Edward (1900) Complete Baronetage. Volume I. Exeter: W. Pollard & Co. LCCN 06-23564. p. 143
- Cokayne, George Edward (1906) Complete Baronetage. Volume V. Exeter: W. Pollard & Co. LCCN 06-23564. p. 25
|Parliament of Great Britain|
The Viscount Shannon
| Member of Parliament for East Grinstead
With: The Viscount Shannon
Earl of Middlesex
| Member of Parliament for Bossiney
With: Townshend Andrews 1734–1737
Peregrine Poulett 1737–1741
Sir John Buckworth, Bt
| Member of Parliament for Weobley
With: The Lord Carpenter
|Peerage of Ireland|
|New title|| Viscount Palmerston
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a viscount or viscountess in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|