Ratu Henry Vao'ofu Speight (born 24 March 1988 in Suva, Fiji) is a Fiji-born Australian rugby union fifteens and sevens player who has played for Hamilton Boys' High School team (New Zealand), the Fijian national junior team (2008), the Waikato provincial team (2008–11, New Zealand), the Brumbies in Super Rugby (2011-2018) , and currently plays for Ulster in the Guinness Pro14 (2018-ongoing) and for the Wallabies (2014-ongoing). His playing position is wing or centre.
Speight playing against New Zealand, August 2017
|Full name||Ratu Henry Vao'ofu Speight|
|Date of birth||24 March 1988|
|Place of birth||Suva, Fiji|
|Height||186 cm (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||97 kg (214 lb; 15 st 4 lb)|
|School||Queen Victoria School|
|Rugby union career|
Speight's first taste of pro-rugby came in his final year at Hamilton Boys High School, when he was picked for Waikato, making his debut against the Bay of Plenty in 2008. Speight went on to represent his province over four seasons. Not eligible for the New Zealand Schoolboys, Speight represented his native Fiji in the same year at the Junior World Cup in Belfast.
Super Rugby and AustraliaEdit
Speight made his Brumbies debut during the 2011 Super Rugby season against the Chiefs in Canberra. After becoming eligible for national selection, on 11 September 2014, Speight made his Wallabies debut during the 2014 Spring Tour against Ireland.
In early 2018 Speight signed with Australia for at least one more year. Speight has shown dedication to his Australian rugby even after huge contracts offered by foreign nations.
Super Rugby StatisticsEdit
- As of 20 March 2017
- "Young Speight in long-awaited Mooloo debut". Stuff News. 13 August 2008. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- "Surprises in Waikato selections for NPC final". Stuff News. 2 September 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- ACT Brumbies. "Henry Speight Bio". Archived from the original on 28 August 2013. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Makaba, Josefa (16 February 2011). "Brumbies believe Speight's a threat". Fiji Times. Retrieved 28 February 2013.
- Henry Speight eligible for Wallabies from September
- "Ireland v Australia". ESPN scrum. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Speight re-signs with Wallabies
- "President told Speight to play for Wallabies". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Player Statistics". its rugby. Retrieved 20 March 2017.