Henry Paget, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey
Henry Paget, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey, PC, DL (6 July 1797 – 7 February 1869), styled Lord Paget 1812 and 1815 and Earl of Uxbridge from 1815 to 1854, was a British peer and Whig politician. He served as Lord Chamberlain of the Household between 1839 and 1841.
The Marquess of Anglesey
|Lord Chamberlain of the Household|
6 May 1839 – 30 August 1841
|Prime Minister||The Viscount Melbourne|
|Preceded by||The Marquess Conyngham|
|Succeeded by||The Earl De La Warr|
|Born||6 July 1797|
|Died||7 February 1869(aged 71)|
|Spouse(s)||1 Eleanora Campbell |
(2) Henrietta Bagot
(3) Ellen Burnand
Anglesey was the eldest son of Field Marshal Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey and his first wife, Lady Caroline Elizabeth Villiers, third daughter of George Villiers, 4th Earl of Jersey. He was the half-brother of Lord Clarence Paget, Lord Alfred Paget and Lord George Paget.
Anglesey entered the House of Commons for Anglesey in 1820, a seat he held until 1832. He was State Steward to the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland between 1828 and 1829. In 1832 he was summoned to the House of Lords through a writ of acceleration in his father's junior title Baron Paget. He served under Lord Melbourne as a Lord-in-waiting from 1837 to 1839 and as Lord Chamberlain of the Household from 1839 to 1841 and was sworn of the Privy Council in 1839. In 1854 he inherited the marquessate on the death of his father and also succeeded his father as Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey, an office he held until his death in 1869.
Lord Anglesey married, firstly, on 5 August 1819, Eleanora Campbell, second daughter of Colonel John Campbell and the writer Lady Charlotte and granddaughter of John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll. They had three children:
- Henry Paget, 3rd Marquess of Anglesey (9 December 1821 – 30 January 1880) he married Sophia Eversfield on 7 June 1845.
- Lady Eleanora Caroline Paget (c. 1828 – 17 November 1848) she married Sir Sandford Graham, 3rd Bt. on 4 February 1847.
- Lady Constance Henrietta Paget (c. 1831 – 5 March 1878) she married George Finch-Hatton, 11th Earl of Winchilsea on 6 August 1846. They had four children.
After his first wife's death in July 1828 he married, secondly, Henrietta Bagot, fourth daughter of Charles Bagot, on 27 August 1833. They had four children:
- Henry Paget, 4th Marquess of Anglesey (25 December 1835 – 13 October 1898) he married Elizabeth Norman (1841-5 November 1873) on 24 August 1858. He remarried Blanche Boyd (d. 14 August 1877) on 2 February 1874. They have one son. He remarried, again, Mary King on 26 June 1880.
- Lord Alexander Victor Paget (25 April 1839 – 26 October 1896) he married Hon. Hester Stapleton-Cotton (daughter of Wellington Stapleton-Cotton, 2nd Viscount Combermere) on 26 August 1880. They four four children included their eldest son 6th Marquess of Anglesey.
- Lady Florence Cecilia Paget (August 1842 – 3 February 1907) she married Henry Rawdon-Hastings, 4th Marquess of Hastings on 16 July 1864. She remarried Sir George Chetwynd, 4th Baronet on 9 June 1870. They have three children.
- Lord Berkeley Charles Sydney Paget (5 March 1844 – 25 November 1913) he married Florence Chetwynd (maternal great-granddaughter of Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 2nd Earl Talbot through the third son) on 5 June 1877. They have two children.
After his second wife's early death in March 1844, aged 28, Lord Anglesey married thirdly, Ellen Burnand, daughter of George Burnand and former wife of J. W. Bell, on 8 March 1860. There were no children from this marriage. He died in Lambeth, London, aged 71, and was succeeded in the marquessate by his only son from his first marriage, Henry. The Marchioness of Anglesey died Worthing, Sussex, in June 1874.
- Dod, Robert P. (1860). The Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Whitaker and Co. p. 89.
- thepeerage.com Sir Henry Paget, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey
- leighrayment.com House of Commons: Andover to Armagh South
- "No. 19737". The London Gazette. 28 May 1839. p. 1069.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Paget, 2nd Marquess of Anglesey
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Hon. Berkeley Paget
| Member of Parliament for Anglesey
Sir Richard Williams-Bulkeley, Bt
The Marquess Conyngham
| Lord Chamberlain of the Household
The Earl De La Warr
The Marquess of Anglesey
| Lord Lieutenant of Anglesey
William Owen Stanley
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Marquess of Anglesey
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Paget
(writ of acceleration)