Henry Ewan Golding (born 5 February 1987) is a Malaysian-English actor, model, and television host who has been a presenter on BBC's The Travel Show since 2014. He is known for his film work, playing the role of Nick Young in Crazy Rich Asians, as well as Sean Townsend in the thriller A Simple Favor and Tom in the romantic comedy Last Christmas, the latter two directed by Paul Feig.
Golding on The Travel Show in April 2014
Henry Ewan Golding
5 February 1987
Betong, Sarawak, Malaysia
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Actor, model, television host|
Liv Lo (m. 2016)
Golding was born in Betong, Sarawak, in East Malaysia. His mother, Margaret Likan Golding, is a Malaysian of indigenous Iban ancestry. His father, Clive Golding, is English. The family lived for almost five years in Terengganu, on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia, before moving to Surrey, England, when Henry was eight years old. There he went to The Warwick School, Redhill. He moved to Kuala Lumpur when he was 21 to pursue on-camera roles after working as a hairdresser on Sloane Street in London for a couple of years.
In March 2017, after a global casting call, it was announced that Golding would star in the film Crazy Rich Asians alongside Constance Wu. He was first brought to director Jon M. Chu's attention by accountant Lisa-Kim Ling Kuan, and Golding's charm and personality quickly won him his first acting role. Crazy Rich Asians was released in the United States and Canada on 15 August 2018 by Warner Bros. Pictures and was met with high critical praise, becoming the number one movie in U.S. and Canadian theatres over its opening weekend. A month later, Golding appeared in Paul Feig's thriller A Simple Favor, co-starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick, playing Sean, the husband of Lively's character. Following the success of Crazy Rich Asians, and, to a lesser extent, A Simple Favor, Golding was cast opposite Emilia Clarke in the romantic comedy Last Christmas, directed by Feig (in their second collaboration). Filming commenced on 26 November 2018 and continued until February 2019, and the film was released on 8 November 2019.
On 29 April 2019, CNBC reported that Golding is to reprise his role as Nick Young in the back-to-back filming of two sequels to Crazy Rich Asians set for filming in 2020 which is currently in pre-production.
Before his marriage, Golding completed his bejalai—the Iban rite of passage into manhood—in the wilderness of Borneo, filming the experience over two months (and carrying the camera equipment himself) for the TV show Surviving Borneo on Discovery Channel Asia. His journey ended in him receiving a traditional hand-tapped bejalai tattoo by Ernesto Kalum of Borneoheadhunters tattoo in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia. The tattoo on his right thigh is a fig tree that wraps around other trees and takes their form to become the tree itself.
When interviewed by Michele Manelis of The New Zealand Herald, Golding said of his surname, "Golding is really darn Jewish, isn't it? My grandfather during the war was in London and as the story goes, he was possibly adopted by a Jewish family by that name. Out of respect he took on their name and it was passed down. So, I'm proud to be an honorary Jew."
|2009||Pisau Cukur||Iskandar Tan Sri Murad|
|2018||Crazy Rich Asians||Nick Young|
|A Simple Favor||Sean Townsend|
|2020||The Gentlemen||Dry Eye||Post-production|
|Snake Eyes||Snake Eyes||Post-production|
|2007–2010||The 8TV Quickie||Himself||Host|
|2012||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Himself||Host|
|2014–present||The Travel Show||Himself||Co-presenter|
|2015||Welcome to the Railworld Japan||Himself||Host|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2009||Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Fabulous Awards||Fun Fearless Fabulous – Charming Smile||Himself||Nominated|
|2010||2nd Shout! Awards||Favorite TV Personality Award||The 8TV Quickie||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||Himself||Won|
|2012||3rd Shout! Awards||Favorite TV Personality Award||Welcome to the Railworld Malaysia||Nominated|
|Hot Guy Award||Himself||Nominated|
|2013||4th Shout! Awards||Hot Guy Award||Himself||Nominated|
|2019||9th The Asian Awards||Outstanding Achievement in Cinema||Crazy Rich Asians||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Comedy Movie Actor||Nominated|
- Dave McNary (26 July 2017). "Henry Golding Signs for 'Simple Favor' Opposite Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick". Variety. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "Henry Golding to star alongside Blake Lively". Star2.com. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- "The Travel Show - Henry Golding - BBC World News". BBC. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "What is Henry's Golding's Race and Ethnicity?". 2018. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- "Henry Golding - Found this lurking on one of my hard..." Facebook. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "There's Something About Henry". 2018. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- Crucchiola, Jordan. "A Hollywood Newcomer Has Been Cast Opposite Constance Wu in Crazy Rich Asians". Vulture. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Henry Golding on Instagram: "So this ladies and gentlemen is THE Lisa-Kim I mentioned on @fallontonight ... We had met at an event that I was hosting in Kuala Lumpur, 5..."". Instagram. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". Vulture. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Lee, Yen Nee (20 August 2018). "'Crazy Rich Asians' is No. 1 movie in US and Canada over the weekend". CNBC. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- McNary, Dave (26 July 2017). "'Crazy Rich Asians' Star Henry Golding Joins Blake Lively, Anna Kendrick's 'A Simple Favor'". Variety. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- "Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding to Star in 'Last Christmas' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Emma Thompson/Paul Feig's Universal Holiday Comedy 'Last Christmas' Shoots November–February In London". 5 September 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; D'Alessandro, Anthony (19 April 2019). "Emilia Clarke & Henry Golding Romantic Comedy 'Last Christmas' Gets Release Date Shift – Update".
- "'Crazy Rich Asians' Actor Henry Golding to Star in 'Monsoon' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kroll, Justin; Kroll, Justin (10 October 2018). "Matthew McConaughey to Star in Guy Ritchie's 'Toff Guys' With Kate Beckinsale, Henry Golding".
- Gilchrist, Karen (29 April 2019). "Growing up different helped me do my job better, says 'Crazy Rich Asians' star Harry Shum Jr". CNBC.
- "Henry Golding to Star in G.I. Joe Spinoff Snake Eyes". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Opinions, Guidesify (20 June 2019). "Henry Golding Fast Facts You Must Know (Singapore)". Guidesify Opinion. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- Heggeness, Greta (14 June 2019). "Henry Golding Is Married!? Every Single Thing We Know About His Relationship with Liv Lo". PureWow. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- "5 reasons why Crazy Rich Asians' Henry Golding and wife Liv Lo are total couple goals". Her World. Retrieved 24 June 2019.
- Jamaluddin, Lira (26 August 2016). "Henry Golding Weds Liv Lo". Marie Claire. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Surviving Borneo". Discovery Channel Asia. 2017. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- Jung, E. Alex. "There's Something About Henry". Vulture. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- "Why Crazy Rich Asians is a Hollywood gamechanger." Manelis, Michele. The New Zealand Herald. Published 23 August 2018 Accessed 14 November 2018.
- Zaidi Mohamad (12 January 2015). "Kembara Henry Golding di Jepun menerusi Welcome To The Railworld Japan" (in Malay). Berita Harian. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "Outstanding Achievement in Cinema – CRAZY RICH ASIANS". The Asian Awards. Retrieved 28 October 2019.